Leave Sub in Auto On? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Leave Sub in Auto On?

Hairsonfire
08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I recently have acquired an Epik Empire Sub ("Wow" would be the appropriate description of how it performs). The manufacturer recommends leaving it on in "Auto" mode but I notice that the heat sinks stay quite warm even in standby mode. Of course, we all know that anything that produces heat is using juice. Can anyone think of a compelling argument for leaving in on 24/7? Thanks folks.

poppachubby
08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Hmmm. Mine, like most, has the auto mode also however it shuts off when in standby.

JoeE SP9
08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought when an amp is idling it produces little or no heat.

TheHills44060
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah that sounds unusual...when the sub is in standby it should be drawing very little power. I just took a quick gander at an Epik thread and it seems that other Epik owners have experienced this too. Still sounds weird to me though.

E-Stat
08-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I thought when an amp is idling it produces little or no heat.
It is quite normal for full range amps that are richly biased into Class A. My Threshold Stasis stays very warm to the touch at idle. Given that Erik uses an efficient Class D switching amp, however, that is a bit unusual. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

rw

Hairsonfire
08-23-2010, 06:11 AM
So, is that a recommendation that I "not worry about it" and leave it in Auto On or "not worry about it" and turn it off each time? Just curious . . .

E-Stat
08-23-2010, 06:46 AM
So, is that a recommendation that I "not worry about it" and leave it in Auto On or "not worry about it" and turn it off each time? Just curious . . .
Sorry that I wasn't clear - leave it on. Electronics perform better and last longer when left powered up - the only exception is when wear related items like vacuum tubes are involved.

rw

Hairsonfire
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks E-Stat!

Smokey
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
The warmth you are feeling when in auto off mode is probably heat coming off power supply's transformer which supply constant DC volts to sub amp. When in auto off mode, the power supply is on but the amp is on stand by, so power supply stay warm which is normal.

My Sub also got auto on mode, but it is so sensitive that slightest vibration (like when a big truck pass by my apartment) make it come on which is annoying. So I have sub plugged in to amp's switched AC output, and when amp is tuned on, sub comes on too.

pixelthis
08-23-2010, 03:17 PM
FORGET about "auto on".
Its a nuisance, Comes on about two secs late, and you can tell.
I TURN MY SUB OFF when watching common TV or stuff like that, turn it on for movies.
Auto on is a great idea, but the execution is somewhat lacking sometimes.:1:

pixelthis
08-23-2010, 03:18 PM
The warmth you are feeling when in auto off mode is probably heat coming off power supply's transformer which supply constant DC volts to sub amp. When in auto off mode, the power supply is on but the amp is on stand by, so power supply stay warm which is normal.

My Sub also got auto on mode, but it is so sensitive that slightest vibration (like when a big truck pass by my apartment) make it come on which is annoying. So I have sub plugged in to amp's switched AC output, and when amp is tuned on, sub comes on too.

And your sub doesn't exceed the amps wattage limit?:1:

Smokey
08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
And your sub doesn't exceed the amps wattage limit?:1:

Yes it does, about 20 watts. Switched output is 100, but sub's wattage is 120 watts. So far had no problem since don't drive the system too hard.

Bluey
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
If the manufacturer recommends 'auto' then thats the way to go (IMO).
I chose to ignore recommendation a few years ago and it cost me a 'power supply' due to joints drying out --- auto/standby may cost a little in electricity but is cheaper than component replacement.

Hyfi
08-24-2010, 03:07 AM
FORGET about "auto on".
Its a nuisance, Comes on about two secs late, and you can tell.
I TURN MY SUB OFF when watching common TV or stuff like that, turn it on for movies.
Auto on is a great idea, but the execution is somewhat lacking sometimes.:1:

Do you really miss those 2 seconds?

Sounds like your sub's auto is kinda slow, mine comes on as close to sound from the mains as one could tell without a meter of some kind.

Poultrygeist
08-24-2010, 05:26 AM
I have a Sunfire and two Velodynes which stay on 24/7. There is very low current draw on these in stand-by mode.