Wtf? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?

3-LockBox
08-22-2010, 08:29 AM
M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT

a few others have come and gone... what are these for...you know what, never mind

here's an acronym for you guys

BFD

:ciappa:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't know what the motivation of others is, but I was asked (along with everyone else) at the last M.P.S.E meeting to start displaying our certifications when we post things online. If you go to Blu ray.com, you will find quite a few insiders that are now posting their certifications, and some that have done it all along. I have always had this on Blu ray.com, and Hometheater forum when I have posted there, and I used to have it here but it got removed with the last site update. I never bothered putting it up till now.

PSky's did it to mock me, and I don't know what SteveW motivation is, but you can ask him.

I never thought this was all that important in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the M.P.S.E committee wants its members recognized for their achievement within the film community. I never knew I did all that much, but my boss recommended me to the committee without me even knowing it, and my some members of my staff backed up his recommendation. I went before the committee, they evaluated my work, and they gave me the certification. Jeeze, I just recording film scores, record audio, and mix sound tracks and audio, I did know that was a big deal.

M.P.S.E= Motion Picture Sound Editors, AES=Audio Engineering Society, and SMPTE= Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

JohnMichael
08-22-2010, 08:51 AM
M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT

a few others have come and gone... what are these for...you know what, never mind

here's an acronym for you guys

BFD

:ciappa:

Let us not forget the ever popular OU812.

JohnMichael
08-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Initials that are earned and relate to our field of interest should be displayed. Making up initials or mocking others is of no benefit.

Dual-500
08-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Initials that are earned and relate to our field of interest should be displayed. Making up initials or mocking others is of no benefit.
Thank you.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't know what the motivation of others is, but I was asked (along with everyone else) at the last M.P.S.E meeting to start displaying our certifications when we post things online. If you go to Blu ray.com, you will find quite a few insiders that are now posting their certifications, and some that have done it all along. I have always had this on Blu ray.com, and Hometheater forum when I have posted there, and I used to have it here but it got removed with the last site update. I never bothered putting it up till now.

PSky's did it to mock me, and I don't know what SteveW motivation is, but you can ask him.

I never thought this was all that important in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the M.P.S.E committee wants its members recognized for their achievement within the film community. I never knew I did all that much, but my boss recommended me to the committee without me even knowing it, and my some members of my staff backed up his recommendation. I went before the committee, they evaluated my work, and they gave me the certification. Jeeze, I just recording film scores, record audio, and mix sound tracks and audio, I did know that was a big deal.

M.P.S.E= Motion Picture Sound Editors, AES=Audio Engineering Society, and SMPTE= Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

I am going to give all of those organizations a call on Monday and ask them if this is the type of behavior they expect from their members on discussion boards.

Also, it would be great if you could actually show your credentials here to prove that you are in fact part of this instead of us all assuming that you are just because you put them under your name. Anyone could put those letters there, as I proved. If I have to remove them then you should have to prove that you are who you say you are in order to keep them up.

I'll let you know what I find out from my phone calls.

poppachubby
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I am going to give all of those organizations a call on Monday and ask them if this is the type of behavior they expect from their members on discussion boards.

Also, it would be great if you could actually show your credentials here to prove that you are in fact part of this instead of us all assuming that you are just because you put them under your name. Anyone could put those letters there, as I proved. If I have to remove them then you should have to prove that you are who you say you are in order to keep them up.

:sleep:

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 12:01 PM

I don't think anyone would claim membership in these organizations who wasn't one. If you got caught doing that it would certainly put you in some real hot water.

OTOH; I'm not sure that they would really have much to say about their members views/actions when not working. I mean this is America. If you want to be a SOB on your own time who's to stop you?

Did someone ask you to remove your letters? They seemed harmless to me. I didn't see a problem with them.

ForeverAutumn
08-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Do you really have that much free time on your hands? Seriously, what business is it of yours?

I think that the difference is that everyone knew you were lying.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Do you really have that much free time on your hands? Seriously, what business is it of yours?

I think that the difference is that everyone knew you were lying.

I am making it my business. If someone wants to claim membership to an organization such as these, that is fine. I just find it hard to believe someone would want to represent them so poorly, so I am curious to what they say.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't think anyone would claim membership in these organizations who wasn't one. If you got caught doing that it would certainly put you in some real hot water.

OTOH; I'm not sure that they would really have much to say about their members views/actions when not working. I mean this is America. If you want to be a SOB on your own time who's to stop you?

Did someone ask you to remove your letters? They seemed harmless to me. I didn't see a problem with them.

Are you forgetting that you were the one who PM'd me asking me to remove the letters? You said that the "powers that be" want to get rid of me and would do so if I didn't remove them. So I did in order to keep the peace. I still think it's a bit ridiculous though since no one really knows for certain whether or not I am a part of any of those organizations or not. No one really knows if Sir T. is or not, they are just assuming so since he posted that. I think it shows poor taste on the site that we force one person to remove them because they can't "prove" that they are a member, but allow another member to keep them despite not proving anything.

For the reputation of both the site and the organizations represented I think it's only fair that anyone certified in a certain field and willing to post those credentials should at least have to post their credentials in some way in order to prevent any fraud.

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Are you forgetting that you were the one who PM'd me asking me to remove the letters? You said that the "powers that be" want to get rid of me and would do so if I didn't remove them. So I did in order to keep the peace.

No, I asked you to remove the letter saying that you were part of an organization you didn't belong to. You know that claiming membership to an organization you don't belong to was a wrong thing to do. The silly letters you added after that didn't bother me in the slightest, even it it did tweak some more sensitive members.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
No, I asked you to remove the letter saying that you were part of an organization you didn't belong to. You know that claiming membership to an organization you don't belong to was a wrong thing to do. The silly letters you added after that didn't bother me in the slightest, even it it did tweak some more sensitive members.

Ahh, sorry we were talking about different things.

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 01:23 PM
For the reputation of both the site and the organizations represented I think it's only fair that anyone certified in a certain field and willing to post those credentials should at least have to post their credentials in some way in order to prevent any fraud.

I suppose he could be faking it, but with his extensive knowledge of the industry it would be very hard to do. That doesn't mean I agree with him on anything, just that pulling such a farce would entail quite a bit of effort. It might actually be easier to actually get your real certification! Not to mention the ramifications if you got caught. His career posting here would be over, along with possible legal ramifications. I just don't think it would be worth it, and frankly I don't think he's smart enough to have pulled it off for so long. No, I believe him even if you don't, but there nothing stopping you from calling him out.

Mr Peabody
08-22-2010, 01:34 PM
C'mon, give Sir T a break. The story how he got his certification really touched my heart, in a Norman Rockwell kind a way. Or, was it a Norman Bates..... any way it was sweet.

Where do you go to change that line under your name? Don't worry about me putting my credintials if you all knew what I did, you'd have to disappear, and then who would i annoy.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I suppose he could be faking it, but with his extensive knowledge of the industry it would be very hard to do. That doesn't mean I agree with him on anything, just that pulling such a farce would entail quite a bit of effort. It might actually be easier to actually get your real certification! Not to mention the ramifications if you got caught. His career posting here would be over, along with possible legal ramifications. I just don't think it would be worth it, and frankly I don't think he's smart enough to have pulled it off for so long. No, I believe him even if you don't, but there nothing stopping you from calling him out.

It's not so much that I don't believe he is a member, it's that I think he is a poor representation of those organizations. Not that this has always been or always is the case. In fact there are many times as Mr. P pointed out where he brings a great wealth of knowledge to this site and we appreciate that aspect. We should be honored to have someone with inside information around here, but it's all about the delivery that counts. I, along with many others, are tired of the bullying attitude that he brings with that knowledge and Mr. P did something about it and wanted to at least see what would happen if asked to choose: Can you bring your knowledge here and contribute to this site in sincere ways without acting a foo or do we only get one without the other? Seems from his initial responses that we get more fool and less educated sound tech.

One would hope that someone with such vast knowledge and education would not feel the need to flex the muscle of their achievements, since their contributions here should speak volumes about their character and success.

It gets really annoying that just about-single-thread that Sir T becomes affiliated with turns into a quote-for-quote 4,000 page ongoing battle that never goes anywhere and turns into a pissing match for the ages. Since the Mods have done very little to control this behavior, it feel upon various members to finally speak their minds collectively, this is that attempt.

ForeverAutumn
08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I am making it my business. If someone wants to claim membership to an organization such as these, that is fine. I just find it hard to believe someone would want to represent them so poorly, so I am curious to what they say.

I suppose that's your right. Frankly, I think that it just makes you look like a petty, meddling troll with an axe to grind. But...whatever.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I suppose that's your right. Frankly, I think that it just makes you look like a petty, meddling troll with an axe to grind. But...whatever.

You are certainly entitled to whatever opinion you would like as well, just as you made it your business to ask what business it was of mine. Interesting how people come out of the woodwork when there is controversy around here, otherwise the tumbleweed soars around the dull plains of AR.

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 01:54 PM
It's not so much that I don't believe he is a member, it's that I think he is a poor representation of those organizations. Not that this has always been or always is the case. In fact there are many times as Mr. P pointed out where he brings a great wealth of knowledge to this site and we appreciate that aspect. We should be honored to have someone with inside information around here, but it's all about the delivery that counts. I, along with many others, are tired of the bullying attitude that he brings with that knowledge and Mr. P did something about it and wanted to at least see what would happen if asked to choose: Can you bring your knowledge here and contribute to this site in sincere ways without acting a foo or do we only get one without the other? Seems from his initial responses that we get more fool and less educated sound tech.

One would hope that someone with such vast knowledge and education would not feel the need to flex the muscle of their achievements, since their contributions here should speak volumes about their character and success.

It gets really annoying that just about-single-thread that Sir T becomes affiliated with turns into a quote-for-quote 4,000 page ongoing battle that never goes anywhere and turns into a pissing match for the ages. Since the Mods have done very little to control this behavior, it feel upon various members to finally speak their minds collectively, this is that attempt.

You make some points, but these organizations are not designed to police their members in anything else but the industry. While we talk audio here, this basically a social forum.

Your complaints about mods being too lenient are noted. Remember though that we're all not the same and none of us are paid. We do this for "fun", just as you should be here for your own enjoyment. I for one would not like a forum where the mods AREN'T lenient. If things have to be battened down hard here I feel it would be much less "fun", at least for my tastes.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 02:02 PM
You make some points, but these organizations are not designed to police their members in anything else but the industry. While we talk audio here, this basically a social forum.

Your complaints about mods being too lenient are noted. Remember though that we're all not the same and none of us are paid. We do this for "fun", just as you should be here for your own enjoyment. I for one would not like a forum where the mods AREN'T lenient. If things have to be battened down hard here I feel it would be much less "fun", at least for my tastes.

It is certainly a slippery slope and we certainly appreciate the efforts of many of the mods around here, it's definitely not an easy job and being unpaid makes it even more of a challenge.

Keep in mind what Sir T. said elsewhere around here about being encouraged by his boss and the organizations to represent themselves in forums online, so therefore while this is a social network and place to have fun, he is still coming from a professional organization and therefore his credentials should be legit and he should adhere to the organizations standards of behavior.

ForeverAutumn
08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
You are certainly entitled to whatever opinion you would like as well, just as you made it your business to ask what business it was of mine. Interesting how people come out of the woodwork when there is controversy around here, otherwise the tumbleweed soars around the dull plains of AR.

If I thought you were sincere about caring about the integrity of these organizations then I could agree with you and I never would have entered this conversation. But you don't care about them, you proved that when you fraudulently placed the designations under your own name without having earned them. Now you claim to care about how these organizations are being represented. But it's all a smoke screen to try and discredit Sir T with organizations that he has worked hard to be a part of.

It's bitter and it's petty and it reeks of sour grapes. Just my own opinion, of course.

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 02:33 PM
It's bitter and it's petty and it reeks of sour grapes. Just my own opinion, of course.

HA, I just spilled Cabernet on myself after reading this line!, so I guess I "reek of sour grapes" too!! :wink5:

basite
08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
It is certainly a slippery slope and we certainly appreciate the efforts of many of the mods around here, it's definitely not an easy job and being unpaid makes it even more of a challenge.

it's amusing to see how you instantly change your opinion when a mod says something about something you said...

just like a small kid trying to argue with his mom.

Keep in mind what Sir T. said elsewhere around here about being encouraged by his boss and the organizations to represent themselves in forums online, so therefore while this is a social network and place to have fun, he is still coming from a professional organization and therefore his credentials should be legit and he should adhere to the organizations standards of behavior.

his credentials are legit. and how would you "adhere to the organizations standards of behavior" if some troll constantly tries to argue with you that he definitely knows better, and tries to discredit his/hers name here for being "fake" or non legit?

right, you'd flame him.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 02:49 PM
it's amusing to see how you instantly change your opinion when a mod says something about something you said...

just like a small kid trying to argue with his mom.

his credentials are legit. and how would you "adhere to the organizations standards of behavior" if some troll constantly tries to argue with you that he definitely knows better, and tries to discredit his/hers name here for being "fake" or non legit?

right, you'd flame him.

I appreciate what Geoffcin does to moderate, some of the others ...not so much...and they know who they are. Especially the ones that break into my personal information, change my avatar, change my signature.

You act like I am the only person who has ever had a problem with him? Ha....there are dozens around here that have gone round after round.

What is most amazing is that everyone around here complains about flame wars, old thread revivals, trolls, etc.... YET....

They all can't keep their mouths shut when the battles begin. They contribute a few posts here and there any other time, but cry for more blood to be spilled when the battle rages on, then cry about the fact that there is no peace around here. Make up your minds!

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Please let's try to stay civilized. You can have an honest and legitimate beef with someone and not be a troll.

ForeverAutumn
08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
HA, I just spilled Cabernet on myself after reading this line!, so I guess I "reek of sour grapes" too!! :wink5:

I'm so sorry! What a waste of Cabernet. :(

Geoffcin
08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I appreciate what Geoffcin does to moderate, some of the others ...not so much...and they know who they are. Especially the ones that break into my personal information, change my avatar, change my signature.

OK, as long as you were on your horse about TT it was OK with me, but how do you think continuing to post about this event is going to help your cause?

What's done was done. It's over you've got full privileges here again, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done now to change the past. Just let it go!

Worf101
08-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I was a Sergeant in the Regular Army, Combat Engineer's, 5th, 8th and 2nd respectively. When you command men, in field and garrison, you have to be able to effectively size them up, your life and other's might depend on it. Simple question, simple answer, do I believe Sir TT is who he says he is or do I believe you PS. Sir TT has never, ever given me reason to doubt it, even when we disagree.

I believe Sir TT is who and WHAT he says he is, I on the other hand have no idea who or what you really are. Guess who I believe?

End of discussion.

Worf

3LB
08-22-2010, 03:23 PM
member since, for ever

3M-TA3

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I was a Sergeant in the Regular Army, Combat Engineer's, 5th, 8th and 2nd respectively. When you command men, in field and garrison, you have to be able to effectively size them up, your life and other's might depend on it. Simple question, simple answer, do I believe Sir TT is who he says he is or do I believe you PS. Sir TT has never, ever given me reason to doubt it, even when we disagree.

I believe Sir TT is who and WHAT he says he is, I on the other hand have no idea who or what you really are. Guess who I believe?

End of discussion.

Worf

I'm not asking who you believe or who has more credentials or anything of that nature, everyone is not really reading what is being posted. I am simply saying that if this site is going to have rules regarding posting their credentials, then there should be some way or actually showing those credentials. No one ever even asked me to show some credentials, it was assumed that I must be making it up and therefore had to remove them or else Sir T was going to call the police, CIA, FBI, and other organizations to investigate the matter.

More importantly, I don't really care that he IS a member, because he likely is a member. But as a member, I wonder why he feels the need to act the way he does in order to promote and represent those organizations? That is my question and that is my issue with the whole thing. Nothing else.

L.J.
08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
:sleep:

:thumbsup:

GMichael
08-23-2010, 06:13 AM
I got lost. What was the point again?

Hyfi
08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Does MCP count?

Bill Gates can verify if you call him today.

JohnMichael
08-23-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm not asking who you believe or who has more credentials or anything of that nature, everyone is not really reading what is being posted. I am simply saying that if this site is going to have rules regarding posting their credentials, then there should be some way or actually showing those credentials. No one ever even asked me to show some credentials, it was assumed that I must be making it up and therefore had to remove them or else Sir T was going to call the police, CIA, FBI, and other organizations to investigate the matter.

More importantly, I don't really care that he IS a member, because he likely is a member. But as a member, I wonder why he feels the need to act the way he does in order to promote and represent those organizations? That is my question and that is my issue with the whole thing. Nothing else.

It was your falsification that started all of this issue. Sometimes you do not need a rule until someone does something wrong.

Auricauricle
08-23-2010, 08:23 AM
As long as you remember to call me "God", all will be fine. Otherwise...

http://images.livescience.com/images/myths_lightning_strike_03_10.jpg

Next question?

JohnMichael
08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
As long as you remember to call me "God", all will be fine. Otherwise...

http://images.livescience.com/images/myths_lightning_strike_03_10.jpg

Next question?

What are the winning numbers in tonights lottery and will we ever have peace in the Middle East? Oh and thanks for creating homosexuals.

GMichael
08-23-2010, 08:38 AM
What are the winning numbers in tonights lottery and will we ever have peace in the Middle East? Oh and thanks for creating really hot homosexual babes.

I couldn't stop myself. I'm gonna burn for this I know.....:sad:

Hyfi
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
What are the winning numbers in tonights lottery and will we ever have peace in the Middle East? Oh and thanks for creating homosexuals.

First of all, like I posted in another thread, God answers all your prayers(question), the answer is usually No.
So for Q1, he ain't sayin.
For Q2, the answer is No mainly because the people over there don't really want peace or they would have already created it.
For 3, I'm glad there are people of every lifestyle because the world would be boring and messed up otherwise.

Auricauricle
08-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Your answers:
(a) You wouldn't believe me if I told you
(b) Yes, but not for long; I just make 'em...
(c) You're most welcome. It was a hoot.

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

LMAO! John, you kill me. :lol:

JSE
08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
P-Skies.... Don't forget to put TLADINY after your "latest" screen name! :lol:

GMichael
08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
I still don't think it's the same duck.

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
This is like a car wreck. I need to keep movin' but I can't turn away. I'd pass out cards but someone might report me to their mama . . . errr the bar.

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
lets leave people's mamas outta this

:eek:

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
lets leave people's mamas outta this

:eek:

Sorry. It slipped out. Have we got an update from all the phone calls made today?

Mr Peabody
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I have an update on mine, I owe my bookie $50.00. :(

Auricauricle
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
The board's been jumpin'!

http://www.glbtq.com/images/entries/slideshows/robinsonjack_Tomlin11.jpg

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Sorry. It slipped out. Have we got an update from all the phone calls made today?

Do you really want to know?

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Do you really want to know?
Will I regret asking?

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Will I regret asking?

PM me if you are serious.

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
PM me if you are serious.
I don't think I want to be privy to a private communitcation regarding another member. Can you post it for all? If it reflects badly on another member I will certainly respect your decision not to disseminate the info publically.

markw
08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
PM me if you are serious.You've sworn to publicly throw the curtains back and expose the wizard for what he really is.

If he's lying he deserves to be exposed to prevent him from misleading other innocents.

Now, after your public taunts and threats, you owe it to us to post your findings.

So, if you expect anyone to respect you after all your bravado, live up to your word and post them.

But, is his last name really "Terrible"?

3LockBox
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
let's see! let's see!

or is it like when Kiss took their make-up off?

JohnMichael
08-23-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it is like Mad Magazine and "Spy vs. Spy".

markw
08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
let's see! let's see!

or is it like when Kiss took their make-up off?..or Haraldo Rivera and Al Capone's hidden stash?

Geoffcin
08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't think I want to be privy to a private communitcation regarding another member. Can you post it for all? If it reflects badly on another member I will certainly respect your decision not to disseminate the info publically.

HA!! Dean used the word "disseminate" :cornut:

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
HA!! Dean used the word "disseminate" :cornut:
I admit I had to check spelling but still misspelled "communication".

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I admit I had to check spelling but still misspelled "communication".

And "publically". I wasn't going to mention it but since you brought up your spelling...

dean_martin
08-23-2010, 07:12 PM
And "publically". I wasn't going to mention it but since you brought up your spelling...

according to the internets it's an acceptable alternative spelling miss thang.

Hyfi
08-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Now that this mass debate has ended, can we come to some way of disseminating these matters without all of these ejaculations?

Wouldn't that be Premature?

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Now that this mass debate has ended, can we come to some way of disseminating these matters without all of these ejaculations?

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Hy: I rest my case.

GMichael
08-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I hope not.

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Lord knows, I won't pump you for answers.

GMichael
08-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Lord knows, I won't pump you for answers.
I never saw that coming.

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 05:38 AM
(A pregnant pause)

Geoffcin
08-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Perhaps it's best if all this is done nocturnally....

GMichael
08-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Posting on behalf of STtT and myself, I have only one simple request.

On the next round of character assassination, the common courtesy of a "Reach Around" would be nice......
Seems fair, but would that be the one, or two handed style?

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 06:34 AM
If we do meet, it won't matter. What does, is whether we get to the meat of the matter.

GMichael
08-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Let's go with Dual Asnychronous, Bi-Phased, NRZ running a Mil-Std 1553 Manchester 10mhz bus protocol with IEEE 488 control interface.
I don't think that's the same reach around that I was thinking of. :nonod: Mine is the low-tech style.:ihih:

Auricauricle
08-24-2010, 06:45 AM
:sosp:

Ummmmmmm....Okay.....Sit on yer own interface. I'll respect you in the morning.

Mr Peabody
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
It's very difficult to keep a breast of this thread and I'm finding it hard to swallow. I'd suggest lubrication but positions keep changing.

Geoffcin
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
OK, I think this thread has COME full circle.

Woochifer
08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
OK, I think this thread has COME full circle.

Indeed. Rather amusing to see PS anoint himself as some kind of private dick seeking truth and justice on this board, considering all his own accumulated dirt.

As far as T goes, I've chatted with him periodically over the years. To anyone who likes to discuss home theater topics (and many other topics of mutual interest) in good faith, T is about as generous and honest a reference as you'll ever have. His posts on this board only scratch the surface of what he actually knows.

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2010, 05:20 AM
according to the internets it's an acceptable alternative spelling miss thang.

Hmmmmm. It seems to depend where you look. Some of the on-line dictionaries include it and some don't. I'm not sure where I'd find the definitive answer, so I'll give you this one...but grudgingly.

:)

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Hmmmmm. It seems to depend where you look. Some of the on-line dictionaries include it and some don't. I'm not sure where I'd find the definitive answer, so I'll give you this one...but grudgingly.

:)

It could be the language barrier. Most of the time I can't even tell that American is your second language. ;)

GMichael
08-25-2010, 06:42 AM
It could be the language barrier. Most of the time I can't even tell that American is your second language. ;)

I think you mean that "North American" is her second language. You southern guys have a language all your own. Or is that "your'all own?"

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
I think you mean that "North American" is her second language. You southern guys have a language all your own. Or is that "your'all own?"

You want to talk about foreign languages that claim to be English? Try having a conversation with a native Newfoundlander. Lordtunderingjeeesus, youlva ardtam unnerstanninem.

(translation: Holy crap, you'll have a hard time understanding them).

3LB
08-25-2010, 07:21 AM
You southern guys have a language all your own. Or is that "your'all own?" that'd be "y'all"

08-25-2010, 07:41 AM
that'd be "y'all"

Now that is cool. I also like your SMPTe reference! LOL

3LB
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Now that is cool. I also like your SMPTe reference! LOL
isn't that your SMPTE initials stand for? :P

it really is a great album, but you know, prog and all

GMichael
08-25-2010, 08:06 AM
that'd be "y'all"
I knew it was something like that. Thanks, 9 of 3's.

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Actually, "Southern" is a universally respected dialect of "American". The term "North American" blurs the line between American and Canadian (a/k/a Canadien). You know real Americans don't acknowledge that "America" has anything to do with continents.

It's "Y'alls' own" or "your'un" (pronounced "urine" or "yorn" depending on how many syllables you're up for at the time). I thought you lived in Atlanta for a spell, GM.

Hyfi
08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, "Southern" is a universally respected dialect of "American". The term "North American" blurs the line between American and Canadian (a/k/a Canadien). You know real Americans don't acknowledge that "America" has anything to do with continents.

It's "Y'alls' own" or "your'un" (pronounced "urine" or "yorn" depending on how many syllables you're up for at the time). I thought you lived in Atlanta for a spell, GM.

Here around Philly it's "Yous guys"

3LB
08-25-2010, 08:45 AM
In Michigan its "you guys" as well, Hyfi.

I've only heard one or two people ever use the term 'you'ns' and they were pretty backwoods people. Mostly, its "y'all' all over the south. There are slightly differnt 'takes' on all words throughout the south. People in W.Tenn (where I'm from) talked different than people from E.Tenn. And yes, people from TN do care to differentiate east and west TN.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 08:45 AM

HAH! I did live in Joisey for about a month. Other than that, NY for 46 years and then PA for the last 4. I watched Hee Haw when I was a kid though. Does that count?

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
that'd be "y'all"

That's correct for the plural second person pronoun "you". We try to distinguish between singular "you" and plural "you" to keep confusion to a minimum. But there's a lot of flexibility when it comes to the possessive.

Here are examples of the plural possessive in action:

Is that y'alls hogs in that there pen?
Is that y'allses hogs in that there pen? (most common)

Here are examples of the singular possesive in action:

My hogs and yorn look the same. When are you gonna slaughter your'un?

3LB
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I watched Hee Haw when I was a kid though. Does that count? no, however you'd get credit had you seen The Porter Wagoner Show.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
But, "I searched the world over and thought I found true love... You met another and pthht! you was gone."

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
HAH! I did live in Joisey for about a month. Other than that, NY for 46 years and then PA for the last 4. I watched Hee Haw when I was a kid though. Does that count?

I thought for sure you responded to a question I posted about the Tabernacle in Atlanta many moons ago. Dang. Memory's the first to go.

Hee Haw does sorta count. It qualifies you as an honorary Southerner so long as you pass the test. (Give us some time to round up the farm animals then we'll be a'callin' on ya.)

Hyfi
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
But, "I searched the world over and thought I found true love... You met another and pthht! you was gone."

Oh Man that brings back some memories.

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
no, however you'd get credit had you seen The Porter Wagoner Show.

We might ought to get together on this. I know it's hard for a Tennessean and an Alabaman to agree on anything, but I think we can get him to go through the farm animal initiation.

BTW, my neighbor's hair looks like Porter Wagoner's.

GMichael
08-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I thought for sure you responded to a question I posted about the Tabernacle in Atlanta many moons ago. Dang. Memory's the first to go.

Hee Haw does sorta count. It qualifies you as an honorary Southerner so long as you pass the test. (Give us some time to round up the farm animals then we'll be a'callin' on ya.)
I hope y'all is plannin one o them thar sing alons.

08-25-2010, 09:12 AM
One of the best southern lines I have ever heard was in Georgia just outside of Atlanta(not safe for brown folks though).

I heard a guy in a gas station holler out to a guy driving a tow truck "hey Jimmy, we have a customer with a car broke down upside the road". My eyebrows ended up behind my ears on that one.

dean_martin
08-25-2010, 09:20 AM
One of the best southern lines I have ever heard was in Georgia just outside of Atlanta(not safe for brown folks though).

I heard a guy in a gas station holler out to a guy driving a tow truck "hey Jimmy, we have a customer with a car broke down upside the road". My eyebrows ended up behind my ears on that one.

Actually, that's a very efficient use of the Southern dialect of the American language. With one word - "upside" - he told Jimmy not only that the car was "up" the road, i.e., north of their location, but also "beside" the road, i.e., pulled over to the side out of the way of traffic; ergo, "upside".

3LB
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
oh man, what bad time to be on my cellphone!

there use to be some choice stuff on youtube w/ regards to Hee-Haw.

Many southerners are always 'fixin' to do something. That's cuz theys always reckon.

3LB
08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
BTW, my neighbor's hair looks like Porter Wagoner's.

That's a variation on the old pompidore(sp?) Vitalis to slick the hair back and Aquanet to hold it there. My dad wore his hair that, though he wasn't blonde like Porter.

Do southern men still get those tight perms? Use to crack me up
whenever I saw that.

Auricauricle
08-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Two pointers: The proper (propah) form of the possessive of y'all is y'alls': "Is that y'alls' dawg?"

"Upside" is a term usually used in anatomical connotations: "She hit me upside the head."

We value our education very highly herebouts, y'know.

08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Actually, that's a very efficient use of the Southern dialect of the American language. With one word - "upside" - he told Jimmy not only that the car was "up" the road, i.e., north of their location, but also "beside" the road, i.e., pulled over to the side out of the way of traffic; ergo, "upside".

"Well, I am just a penny waitin for change" on this one. :shocked: I did not know this. Interesting!!!

I know one thing, I took me two hours to get my eyebrows back in the proper place.....:ihih:.

08-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Well, is there an update on this from PS. I am anxiously awaiting my rebuke from the M.P.S.E. committee on my "terrible" behavior on this board.

I believe PS was going to phone the organization so they can clock me on my behavior. Any word?

3LB
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, is there an update on this from PS. I am anxiously awaiting my rebuke from the M.P.S.E. committee on my "terrible" behavior on this board.

I believe PS was going to phone the organization so they can clock me on my behavior. Any word?
they're disappointed in your behavior and they've decided as punishment, you are required to wear your goofy 3D glasses in public for an entire month.

GMichael
08-26-2010, 10:17 AM
they're disappointed in your behavior and they've decided as punishment, you are required to wear your goofy 3D glasses in public for an entire month.
And you have to invite PS and Pixy over for a weekend of movie watching and male bonding.

Hyfi
08-26-2010, 10:23 AM
And you have to invite PS and Pixy over for a weekend of movie watching and male bonding.

Now that is funny.

ForeverAutumn
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM

I know! The suspense is killing me! It seems that Mr. Skies earned himself a well-deserved suspension before he was able to fill us in on how loud the laughter at the other end the phone was.

GMichael
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I know! The suspense is killing me! It seems that Mr. Skies earned himself a well-deserved suspension before he was able to fill us in on how loud the laughter at the other end the phone was.
I must have missed a post.

ForeverAutumn
08-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Why do you say that?

GMichael
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Why do you say that?
I didn't see the one that got him in hot water. I must have missed it.

JohnMichael
08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Yes the creative reporting might have been fun.

markw
08-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I wonder what the straw was that finally broke the camels back?

poppachubby
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I wonder what the straw was that finally broke the camels back?

No straw. It was a cumulative effort. It should be known that in the end, none of the mods elected to ban PSkies. He was given warnings and we decided more rope was in order. It appears he has hung himself, Adam chose to kick out the chair.

Honestly, I have learned alot from this experience. The biggest point being that I never want the site to deteriorate like that again.

Let's get back to posting and having some fun around here.

GMichael
08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
No straw. It was a cumulative effort. It should be known that in the end, none of the mods elected to ban PSkies. He was given warnings and we decided more rope was in order. It appears he has hung himself, Adam chose to kick out the chair.

Honestly, I have learned alot from this experience. The biggest point being that I never want the site to deteriorate like that again.

It's too bad. He's a lot of fun when he's not melting down.

dean_martin
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Thought I better chime in for the record because PS invited me to pm him earlier in this thread. I didn't. He didn't pm me. Just in case anyone goes back through this thread and wonders whether PS and I might have had a private communication regarding Sir T, we didn't. That would have made me very uncomfortable.

Calling a bluff can get a little dicey sometimes, but that's no reason to stop.

poppachubby
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Thought I better chime in for the record because PS invited me to pm him earlier in this thread. I didn't. He didn't pm me. Just in case anyone goes back through this thread and wonders whether PS and I might have had a private communication regarding Sir T, we didn't. That would have made me very uncomfortable.

Calling a bluff can get a little dicey sometimes, but that's no reason to stop.

He wasn't going to tell you anything. I mean honestly, if he had the goods on Terrence he would have posted it on every board in cyberspace.

What he was going to do is try to recruit you for the cause. You know the one in which the mods, with Terrence on our shoulders, keep everyone down and ruin the site.

You didn't bother, good call.

Dual-500
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Yes - see below.

And this:

http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/SirTtT.JPG

ForeverAutumn
08-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Cudos to Adam.

08-26-2010, 06:52 PM

The ones I have are quite cool looking, so I wouldn't mind that punishment at all.

08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Yes - see below.

And this:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :hand: (runs out of room, out of house, down the street, to the freeway, across the state, and out of the country)

Mr Peabody
08-26-2010, 07:06 PM
The ones I have are quite cool looking, so I wouldn't mind that punishment at all.

Which ones do you have?

08-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Exactly. I was anxious to see how he was going to tell them about Mr. Terrence Terrible's behavior while representing the organization(of which I am not). Mr. Terrible? We have no Mr. Terrible who has earned that award:lol:

He pinned a sentence that I think fits this situation very well. It states:

Nothing like painting yourself into a corner is there?

Who would have thunk his own words would come back to haunt him.

bfalls
08-27-2010, 05:19 AM
no, however you'd get credit had you seen The Porter Wagoner Show.

What if I saw Porter in a commercial for Breeze detergent. You remember the detergent which used to give away glasses and towels in their boxes.

"Like it? Can't buy it. You can only get it in boxes of Breeze."

GMichael
08-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Yes - see below.

And this:

That’s perfect! Who gets to pin it on him at the ceremony? Do I get an invite?

JSE
08-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :hand: (runs out of room, out of house, down the street, to the freeway, across the state, and out of the country)

Shoot, that's all it took to get rid of him?

I kid, I kid........:ciappa:

Worf101
08-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I quess I gots the answer to my poll from about a month ago. "We ain't dealin' with it all that well are we?" Or I guess with his banning we are?

Some things....

Worf

Hyfi
08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I quess I gots the answer to my poll from about a month ago. "We ain't dealin' with it all that well are we?" Or I guess with his banning we are?

Some things....

Worf

Yeah, shame on me for trying to help the idiot out. Won't happen again.

08-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Shoot, that's all it took to get rid of him?

I kid, I kid........:ciappa:

You did it a few years ago with your silent but deadly blow out!

Curled the hairs in me nose, and caused my full head of hair to fall out. :lol:

Dual-500
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
That’s perfect! Who gets to pin it on him at the ceremony? Do I get an invite?
Yes, of course you get an invitation.

Who pins on the award? I guess we outta have a lottery for that dubious honour.

GMichael
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, of course you get an invitation.

Who pins on the award? I guess we outta have a lottery for that dubious honour.
OK,

I'm thinking of a number between 0 and 99. Whoever guesses right gets to stick it in.

3LB
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
P-Skies did PM me. He warned me that SirT would hot on my trail and I would incur the Wrath of the Mods. He mistook my SMPTe joke as hateraide, but I told him I was merely trying to have fun at someone elses expense. I told him "shanks anyway" and that I'd "take my chances". (hours later, I was banished to the pointless forrest, where I learned that 'having a point in every direction, is like having no point at all) He said something about SirT being a paid shill and malevolent Overlord with the mods his baleful minions. He said he did call one of those places and while they had no one by the name of Terrence the Terrible, they did however have a Jose The Horrible in the stock room.

08-27-2010, 08:10 PM
P-Skies did PM me. He warned me that SirT would hot on my trail and I would incur the Wrath of the Mods. He mistook my SMPTe joke as hateraide, but I told him I was merely trying to have fun at someone elses expense. I told him "shanks anyway" and that I'd "take my chances". (hours later, I was banished to the pointless forrest, where I learned that 'having a point in every direction, is like having no point at all) He said something about SirT being a paid shill and malevolent Overlord with the mods his baleful minions. He said he did call one of those places and while they had no one by the name of Terrence the Terrible, they did however have a Jose The Horrible in the stock room.

Oh noooo, ju never put Jose The Horrible in the stock room if ju steal want stock left. :hand: