VPI - Scoutmaster 2 & JMW-9T Standard VS. VPI - Scout 2 & JMW-9 Signature [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : VPI - Scoutmaster 2 & JMW-9T Standard VS. VPI - Scout 2 & JMW-9 Signature

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on which of these players would be better? As some of you are aware, my goal by this Christmas is to go with a dedicated 2-channel system that includes analogue setup. I have narrowed the choice down between these two, but it looks like the differences between these two is very minimal and that is why I ask for your opinions since I am new to this and many of you are experts in this area.

Thanks in advance.

PS. These are both VPI tables, the title of the post was messed up. Sorry.

JohnMichael
08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I corrected the title of your thread. I was tempted to correct your spelling of analog. Unless you are Canadian or British.

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I corrected the title of your thread. I was tempted to correct your spelling of analog. Unless you are Canadian or British.

I am Canadian, so thanks for the insult.

JohnMichael
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I am Canadian, so thanks for the insult.

Oh I thought you were living in PA. Sorry.

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh I thought you were living in PA. Sorry.

Oh ok...so everyone living in PA must be ...American? Even if I was born and raised in the U.S., the word "analog" can be spelled either way, both are correct.

E-Stat
08-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on which of these players would be better?
I've owned a Scout (on an HW-2 isolation base) using a Souther TQ-1 arm for about six years and have heard both the HR-X and the Super Scoutmaster in a friend's exceptional system. The Scoutmaster's added mass and lower speed motor will help the bottom octaves while the Signature arm using Valhalla wire will help with resolution and focus. Since I'm not as much a bass freak, I would opt for the Scout table with the Signature arm. You may prefer the other set of priorities. On the other hand, if you have 150 large lying around, I've also heard the Clearaudio Statement in that same system where you don't have to compromise at all. :)

VPI products will last forever. My HW-16 is going on 26.

rw

PeruvianSkies
08-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I've owned a Scout (on an HW-2 isolation base) using a Souther TQ-1 arm for about six years and have heard both the HR-X and the Super Scoutmaster in a friend's exceptional system. The Scoutmaster's added mass and lower speed motor will help the bottom octaves while the Signature arm using Valhalla wire will help with resolution and focus. Since I'm not as much a bass freak, I would opt for the Scout table with the Signature arm. You may prefer the other set of priorities. On the other hand, if you have 150 large lying around, I've also heard the Clearaudio Statement in that same system where you don't have to compromise at all. :)

VPI products will last forever. My HW-16 is going on 26.

rw

E-Stat,

Thank you very much, this is precisely the type of knowledge that I was looking for and I am glad you were able to help guide me with that. I am going to be doing more demoing on both of these units, I would really like to test them out with a few different amp configurations before making my final decision.

JoeE SP9
08-21-2010, 05:17 PM
My HW-19 has been going and going since 1987. It started out as a HW-19Jr. Over the years I've brought it up to full HW-19 specs (new platter, bearing etc, everything but the suspension). I like the Sorbothane pucks better. The SDS was the last addition.

JohnMichael
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
From all that I have read I would consider the VPI Classic.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/static.php?page=table_classic

Byron4
08-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I actually considered replacing my 20 year old AR turntable (circa 1983) with a VPI Scout but I backed out because I have been so happy with my AR turntable. I still wonder what type of major improvements there would be or would the sound just be different.

E-Stat
08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I still wonder what type of major improvements there would be or would the sound just be different.
Are you using the standard AR tonearm?

rw

Byron4
08-28-2010, 07:56 PM
No. I bought the turntable from GNP in Pasadena when Brooks Berdan was working there and I had them put on the Sumiko MMT tonearm which worked well with the Talisman S moving coil cartridge. I now use a Grado Platinum cartridge. This turntable has been totally maintenance free for 27 years as I have only replace the belts. I bought what I thought would be a lifetime supply of belts from a place called AB Tech when I was unsure of the availability after AR discontinued the turntables. I use the turntable on a regular basis and everything still runs like new.

E-Stat
08-29-2010, 07:46 AM
I had them put on the Sumiko MMT tonearm which worked well with the Talisman S moving coil cartridge.
Excellent. It was the arm that limited its performance.

I bought what I thought would be a lifetime supply of belts from a place called AB Tech when I was unsure of the availability after AR discontinued the turntables.

There is a source for belts to many old turntables including my 30+ year old Ariston found here. (http://www.elexatelier.com/ar.htm)

rw

Byron4
08-29-2010, 08:49 AM
There is a source for belts to many old turntables including my 30+ year old Ariston found here. (http://www.elexatelier.com/ar.htm)

rw[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's good to know after I go through my remaining belts. I am listening to my AR right now. I don't know if I am still getting the best from my AR because I installed the last few cartridges myself with an inexpensive Lyle protractor. I believe Ariston was the original Linn so the sound should be similar to my AR. How do these turntables compare to the VPI models?

poppachubby
08-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks, that's good to know after I go through my remaining belts. I am listening to my AR right now. I don't know if I am still getting the best from my AR because I installed the last few cartridges myself with an inexpensive Lyle protractor. I believe Ariston was the original Linn so the sound should be similar to my AR. How do these turntables compare to the VPI models?

EStat actually owns both an Ariston and a VPI, and is qualified to answer your question. I would recommend having your table serviced by a professional if you are at all weary about doing it yourself. Bearings should definitely be lubed, suspension balanced, etc. I would also say that if you are unsure about your carts alignment, a pro could help you with this also. money well spent.

I think while there are indeed differences, the VPI isn't necessarily "better". You have a nice arm/cart combo. With the table fully serviced, it's quite competetive.

There is a school of thought regarding enjoyment of your equipment. If I can paraphrase the great 02audionoob...

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Capiche? Sounds like you're happy, why complicate that? I am running an Ariston RD-11S, and yes, along with the LP-12, they both used AR turntable data and research in their development.

E-Stat
08-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't know if I am still getting the best from my AR because I installed the last few cartridges myself with an inexpensive Lyle protractor.
Perhaps you may be able to find an original Sumiko one.

I believe Ariston was the original Linn so the sound should be similar to my AR. How do these turntables compare to the VPI models?
You are quite correct. Hamish Robertson is the father of both. There is quite a similarity in the design with all these suspended platter tables. VPI has a range of models ranging in price from $900 to $10k, so I'll make some general comments. I found that moving to the entry level Scout provides a more neutral bass response than the Ariston as there's a tad of midbass thickness with it. As you move up the VPI product line, you get even better first octave response and with the SDS, better pitch consistency. While you can buy the tables without arms, they do make good arms as well. One makes it easy to fine tune VTA on the fly (never possible with my arm) and can optionally be wired with Nordost Valhalla.

rw