A Spike Lee Joint [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A Spike Lee Joint

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Pick your favorite Spike Lee film and tell us why.....

Dual-500
08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
School Daze - Soundtrack

JohnMichael
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Oh never mind, that was directed by Ang Lee.

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
While Spike Lee has come a long way from his humble beginnings, and has made some really terrific films, I still think his most profound work is still DO THE RIGHT THING.

MALCOLM X was a great film, even very ambitious for a young Lee at the time, but his 1989 film DO THE RIGHT THING not only starred him in the leading role, but it was his critique on racial tension that erupted all over the screen in such a powerful and deep way that still resonates today.

It's actually quite surprising how many people have yet to see this film, but it's a must-see for sure. Most new to the film will be surprised by how many now-known actors/actresses are in this film, like:

Samuel L. Jackson, Rosie Perez, Martin Lawrence, Ruby Dee, John Turturro, and Danny Aiello.

What I have always loved and appreciated about the film though is it's ability to create an experience for the viewer where we feel the things that the characters feel. You can sense that it's a sweltering hot day in Bed Stuy and you can almost smell the pizza shop. It's a film that makes us all question our own prejudices and has appreciated in value over it's 20+ years, it's a masterpiece of filmmaking and in my opinion, still Spike Lee's finest joint.

Smokey
08-21-2010, 12:48 AM
MALCOLM X was a great film, even very ambitious for a young Lee at the time, but his 1989 film DO THE RIGHT THING not only starred him in the leading role, but it was his critique on racial tension that erupted all over the screen in such a powerful and deep way that still resonates today.

Well, wasn't Malcolm X also about racial tension also? As matter of fact, it was its main theme.

Do The Right Thing is a good movie on its own merit, but IMO it does not have the scope and social significance that Malcolm have. Just look at how seamless Spike Lee inject real footage of Malcolm X into movie that you couldn't tell whether it was real Malcolm or Denzel. That achievement alone put it head and shoulder above his other films.

Btw, good subject :)

PeruvianSkies
08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, wasn't Malcolm X also about racial tension also? As matter of fact, it was its main theme.

Do The Right Thing is a good movie on its own merit, but IMO it does not have the scope and social significance that Malcolm have. Just look at how seamless Spike Lee inject real footage of Malcolm X into movie that you couldn't tell whether it was real Malcolm or Denzel. That achievement alone put it head and shoulder above his other films.

Btw, good subject :)

Smokey,

I definitely agree that the merits of MALCOLM X are phenomenal, but I have visited DO THE RIGHT THING on a more regular basis and therefore it's a favorite of mine over MALCOLM X, now if the subject was ...which is his 'greatest' film, probably MALCOLM X for technical achievements and acting for sure.

Thanks for the comments!

3-LockBox
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
You left out his best movie, Summer Of Sam, which makes for a great window into an era where disco and punk co-existed (if only for a year or two) and Italian-Americans all dressed like Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever.

yeah, his portrayal of Italian-Americans is kinda one-note and stereotypical, but it isn't a big deal to me, and since most them don't know they're being made fun of... I should go now.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
You left out his best movie, Summer Of Sam, which makes for a great window into an era where disco and punk co-existed (if only for a year or two) and Italian-Americans all dressed like Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever.

yeah, his portrayal of Italian-Americans is kinda one-note and stereotypical, but it isn't a big deal to me, and since most them don't know they're being made fun of... I should go now.

Unfortunately I wanted to list all of his films, but the poll only allows for 10. Thanks for the addition though, I enjoyed SOS, but didn't love it.

Troy
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Do the Right Thing was pretty good, though he's ridden the accolades from that one movie, his whole career.

His New Orleans doc was pretty good too.

But for the most part, his movies are vastly over-rated. Several outright suck.