Upgrading my system need a little help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my system need a little help

KID
08-20-2010, 12:33 AM
hi
i am using hk630 with b&w 600series however i need to upgrade my avr to the next level as it does not have hdmi inputs and my bluray player does not have a 7 channel analog audio output which i can use to enjoy some 6/8 channel audio through the avr. moreover i feel when watching a movie the dialogue through the centre channel is somehow masked and i have to jack up the volume to listen to the dialogues clearly but then lower it during action sequences. so i feel that the centre channel separation ain't that good. so keeping the speakers same i want to buy anew avr. can anyone suggest an avr which will match my b&w 600 series.
I also intend to buy the 804 for stereo listening so wether a pre/power amp option is better than an integrated amp option and a few brand names that would help me decide the amp/amps.

poppachubby
08-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Welcome to AR. What is your budget for this project? Also, aside from the Blu Ray, do you have any other sources you will be using?

Poultrygeist
08-20-2010, 04:10 AM
I have a Panny BD80 BRP connected via analog outs to a Panny XR55 digital A/V receiver and have found the new formats somewhat disappointing and only marginally better than DTS 5.1. While my receiver and player handles 7.1, I like 5.1 just as well especially without the clutter of those extra speakers. Very little info is actually passed to those additional channels so on many soundtracks there is little to no noticeable difference.

Are your fronts and center speaker timbre matched ( same drivers )? If not, that would account for the sound level difference in your center.

I haven't found HDMI audio to be superior to component or to my analog 5.1/7.1 set up. It's major advantage is the reduction of tangled cables behind your system.

KID
08-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Well for the avr I am looking for anything between the 2k to 3k usd margin and for the amps i am thinking of spending more than the value of the 804s. I havent thought of using anything besides my bluray for my home theatre as available bluray players can play plenty video formats and also modern day avrs come with usb so it can read hard drives as well moreover i have a ps3 to supplement that so honestly no.

My front and centre speakers are timbre matched and there are no tangled cables behind my system. I however do agree that the analog sound is more appealing.