SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
I am currently installing my brand spanking new HT media centre which includes

1) 46" Sony Bravia 200HZ HDTV
2)Yamaha RX-V3900 AV receiver
3) Sony PS3 (COD gamer :thumbsup: )
4)Cable tv box
5) Ipod Dock

I was buying some HDMI cables for the connections for HDMI compatible devices and saw these MONSTER cables and they were **** loads more expensive. Is it really worth the extra money to buy these cables?

Also what size guage cable should be run to 5.1 speaker system to go with HT system?

markw
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
The Point of Diminishing Returns is a lot lower than cable marketing firms want you to believe. Heck, their livelihood hinges on people buying into it.

You can get cable that performs as well and is built as well as Monster Cable fora heckuva lot less.

As for speaker cables, you can use pretty much anything between 16 - 12 gauge for lengths encountered in home systems. I wouldn't get too esoteric with this. Keep it plain and simple.

I will suggest you check out www.bluejeanscables.com or www.monoprice.com for some quality cables with pricing that is somewhat down to earth. Blujeanscables also offers some real-world advice as well.

SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Is there actually any difference in a 'Monster' cable as apposed a standard HDMI cable??

Well i was looking at 14 guage? also does OFC really do much for sound quality?

When connecting to the connections on back of speakers and amplifier do those 24k connectors help?

markw
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Is there actually any difference in a 'Monster' cable as apposed a standard HDMI cable??A Monster HDMI cable IS a standard HDMI cable, albiet more expensive because of the hype.

Well i was looking at 14 guage? also does OFC really do much for sound quality?Most speaker cable IS OFC. Even the stuff at Lowes and Home depot. Read the labels.

When connecting to the connections on back of speakers and amplifier do those 24k connectors help?Remember, it's only gold plating. They look cool and make it easier to connect and disconnect but as for improving sound, nah.

SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Ohk thanks for clearing up the hype which is 'Monster cables'. just really fansy packaging i guess.

Yea its just i am a sparky and thought just use some standard figure 8 cable?

ohk well i might look to do that at a later stage with the connectors

markw
08-18-2010, 07:30 PM
What is a "Figure 8" cable?

SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
oh sorry is basically what normal speaker cable you buy in the rolls, i use it at work all the time. It doesnt say OFC on it but thats why was enquirying. can look in google type it in.

markw
08-18-2010, 07:44 PM
oh sorry is basically what normal speaker cable you buy in the rolls, i use it at work all the time. It doesnt say OFC on it but thats why was enquirying. can look in google type it in.OFC or not, it won't have any affect on the final sound.

You do professional sound installations and don't use OFC cable? That says a lot right there.

SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't do professional sound installation, i do electrical control boards and detail wiring. You may know company Honeywell is who i work for.

markw
08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I sold more than a few of their DPS-6 computers some 25 years ago, and did the programming that went with them. :D

SHIFTY23
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Haha thats showing your age a little bit, thats part of my job here in Honeywell Australia all the programming and that done ourselves.

E-Stat
08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Well i was looking at 14 guage?
I agree that 14 gauge is adequate for most purposes.

When connecting to the connections on back of speakers and amplifier do those 24k connectors help?
Over time, all connectors oxidize. Gold resists it better than pot metal. Rhodium is better still. I would recommend cleaning all contacts annually using something like Caig Pro-Gold.

rw

SHIFTY23
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Yea are rhodium connectors expensive though?

E-Stat
08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Yea are rhodium connectors expensive though?
Rhodium spades run about $5 US each. Here (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRGRS) is an example.

rw

SHIFTY23
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Sweet man will look into to them once all set up and done correctly.

Thanks for help

Poultrygeist
08-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Don't waste money on an expensive HDMI cable as there is no improvement to be had. I buy mine for a couple of bucks at Monoprice. The only quality criteria for an HDMI cable is that it works.

Poultrygeist
08-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Don't waste money on expensive HDMI cables as there is no improvement to be had. I buy mine for a couple of bucks at Monoprice. The only quality criteria for an HDMI cable is that it works.

Bose Addict
06-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Not sure I "buy that" on no diff between HDMI cables. I guess that still depends on your ear, and/or your goal.

It's still worth considering Componet cabling anyway. HDMI won't add anything for a few more years.

FLZapped
09-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Monster makes over-priced regular cable.

Monster sues anyone who dares to use the word "Monster" - Google Monster and lawsuit and see what you come up with. Actually, you can just look around on this site and find lots of information.

They could make the best cable in the world and I wouldn't buy it, because of their business practices.

-Bruce

bfalls
09-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Don't waste money on expensive HDMI cables as there is no improvement to be had. I buy mine for a couple of bucks at Monoprice. The only quality criteria for an HDMI cable is that it works.

There is a difference in HDMI cables especially if you have an HDMI 1.4 compatible receiver. I looked at the RX-V3900 specs which is HDMI 1.3a.

HDMI 1.4 provides a reverse audio channel which allows audio brought it from your OTA antenna to transfer from the TV to your receiver. It also provides a data channel to allow bi-directional Ethernet communication between connected components. It eliminates the need to "home run" Ethernet connections back to a common switch. It also provide additional bandwidth for higher resolutions for future applications. Since HDMI 1.4 cables can be had for about the same money, there's no reason to buy 1.3a and have to replace them later.

Check out the prices at www.showmwcables.com. I believe 10' HDMI 1.4 can be had for around $5.99.

blackraven
09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
This may clear up some confusion about HDMI cables-

Is This HDMI Cable a 1.4 Compliant Cable? -- Blue Jeans Cable (http://bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-1-4-cable.htm?hdmidept)

Poultrygeist
09-13-2011, 02:57 AM
In my case the return feature of the 1.4 HDMI cable connected from the receiver to the TV will automatically switch off the receiver when the TV is turned off but the reverse doesn't happen.

1.3 or older HDMI cables may cause drop outs with the new 1.4 receivers. So far the cheap 1.4 HDMI cables from Amazon work fine in my system. Can't comment on 1.4 HDMI bi-directional ethernet communication between components as I hard wired each from a common switch box. My friend who works in HT says installers still do it that way.