Ping Smokey [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ping Smokey

E-Stat
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Your "How To" on tweeters written by Igor Levitsky contains a couple of errors.

"An electrostatic speaker has a thin (6-12 microns) polyester film diaphragm"

Soundlab speakers use 0.0001" thick (2.5 micron) diaphragms. Even their subwoofers with double diaphragms fall below that range. There are also companies who rebuild Quads using 3 micron diaphragms since that technology is now available.

"The stators are made of a perforated metal "

That is the approach used by Martin-Logan, but not by several other companies.

"It’s about 2 to 3 inches long and 1/2-inch wide. It looks like a ribbon, and the diaphragm is a current conductor."

Apogee and Magnepan among others have produced true ribbon tweeters whose length measures in feet, not inches.

rw

Geoffcin
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Your "How To" on tweeters written by Igor Levitsky contains a couple of errors.

"An electrostatic speaker has a thin (6-12 microns) polyester film diaphragm"

Soundlab speakers use 0.0001" thick (2.5 micron) diaphragms. Even their subwoofers with double diaphragms fall below that range. There are also companies who rebuild Quads using 3 micron diaphragms since that technology is now available.

"The stators are made of a perforated metal "

That is the approach used by Martin-Logan, but not by several other companies.

"It’s about 2 to 3 inches long and 1/2-inch wide. It looks like a ribbon, and the diaphragm is a current conductor."

Apogee and Magnepan among others have produced true ribbon tweeters whose length measures in feet, not inches.

rw

I think you can add an addendum to the post personally.

JohnMichael
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Since it is in How-To-Articles Smokey would have to update the information. Geoff one of us could cut and paste the info but a member can not reply to a post in HTA.

E-Stat
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Since it is in How-To-Articles Smokey would have to update the information. Geoff one of us could cut and paste the info but a member can not reply to a post in HTA.
While I tried, I am unaware of how one can add comments to a "How To" article.

rw

Geoffcin
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it looks like you have to be a mod or OP.

E-Stat; How about you make a well thought out addition to the post and let Smokey add it in? The last thing I want is for him to think we're fiddling with his posts without consulting him.

Smokey
08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry E-Stat, I just saw this thread.

Thanks for added information. I can not edit my post after 24 hrs, so John or Geoffcin have to do it. I would label the information as an "Edit" at bottom of sentence it is added so the proper credit are given.

Thanks guys :)

E-Stat
08-22-2010, 12:50 PM
E-Stat; How about you make a well thought out addition to the post and let Smokey add it in? The last thing I want is for him to think we're fiddling with his posts without consulting him.
It strikes me that the article is intended for general discussion and yet provides some details that don't necessarily represent the genre.

"An electrostatic speaker has a thin (6-12 microns)"

An electrostatic speaker has an extremely thin... or
An electrostatic speaker has a thin (3-12 microns)

"The stators are made of a perforated metal coated with an insulating layer, and an extra high voltage (EHT) source creates a bias voltage between diaphragm and stators"

The stators are coated with an insulating layer made the same size as the diaphragm and are placed an equal distance on either side of the diaphragm. An extra high voltage (EHT) source creates a bias voltage between diaphragm and stators

"It’s about 2 to 3 inches long and 1/2-inch wide."
They range in length from about 2 inches to several feet and are usually about 1/2-inch wide.

rw

Geoffcin
08-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Smokey,

Are you in agreement for this addition to your post?

If so, then we are a go!

Smokey
08-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Go head Geoff, I trust E-Stat. He know alot about Electrostatic speakers and construction since I think he own a pair.

Thanks.