the reason you need vinyl... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : the reason you need vinyl...

RGA
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Quite interesting how much music is on vinyl that is not on any other format.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound/formats/the-worlds-largest-record-collection/

Feanor
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Quite interesting how much music is on vinyl that is not on any other format.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/sound/formats/the-worlds-largest-record-collection/
Quoting Paul Mawhinney: "Nobody gives a damn!"

dakatabg
08-17-2010, 01:15 PM
wow over 1 million records.

theaudiohobby
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I think the big issue here is copyright, he does not own the copyright of the recordings therefore anyone acquiring the collection cannot do much with it beyond admiring it or breaking it up to recover some if their investment. Furthermore archiving 1m vinyl records is a huge and probably expensive undertaking. Conclusion, too much cost for too little reward.

RGA
08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
On the older stuff isn't there a copyright end date? I can for instance copy Shakespeare plays but I can't do that for newer plays

theaudiohobby
09-03-2010, 03:52 AM
On the older stuff isn't there a copyright end date? I can for instance copy Shakespeare plays but I can't do that for newer plays Shakespeare died over 300 century ago, however there hardly any LP is over 60 years, so copyright is still an issue.

poppachubby
09-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Shakespeare died over 300 century ago, however there hardly any LP is over 60 years, so copyright is still an issue.

In many cases, CP protection can end in under 50 years. It varies based on region and types of contract.

poppachubby
09-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Great video Rich. I just love all of the warm and sympathetic comments from my fellow AR members.

Here's a guy who clearly loves music and has put together a collection of true historical value. I guess that's not moving enough...

...oh I know Bill, what if he had collected 400 multi channel titles?

theaudiohobby
09-03-2010, 04:58 AM
In many cases, CP protection can end in under 50 years. It varies based on region and types of contract.Some has to pay the lawyer fees to check which LPs are still under copyright and eat the loss for those still under copyright of which there may be many.

poppachubby
09-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Some has to pay the lawyer fees to check which LPs are still under copyright and eat the loss for those still under copyright of which there may be many.

Indeed, it would be the undertaking of a wealthy individual. Storage alone would present the highest and most enduring cost. Next to that, there may be an organization or museum interested in a portion of it.

Anyhow, it's impressive, and you can see the guy loves music, with all of his heart. It must be a bit discouraging that his life's work is now "irrelevant". I say that loosely, as all of us in here understand the value of his collection. But to see what the masses have moved to, must be a real thorn in his side.

Surely if any of us had the money and means, it would be an amazing undertaking. That said, I think only a wealthy person would have the time available for all that would be needed.

RGA
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I know one company is busy remastering older music. They have built their own cutting lathe and have developed their own A to D converters. But it's too small an operation to handle doing that for a million albums so you're left with the preferences of the small company owner.

I doubt you can just walk in and buy a hundred albums - the catalog system (if it's not all just in the guy's head) would be enormous.