Tube Nirvana! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tube Nirvana!

blackraven
08-13-2010, 07:32 PM
With my foray into the tube world with my hybrid DAC and Preamp, I have been experimenting with different 6CG7 tubes. I've tried the following NOS tubes-

Amperex-my favorite for the DAC
RCA Clear tops-my favorite for my Pre amp but exellent in the DAC as well
Tung Sol
Sylvania's from 1960 with the yellow lettering.
Mazda-Brimars
Electro Harmonix which are brand new tubes and the worst of the lot.

I have finally found audio nirvana with the combination of the RCA's in the pre and the very hard to come by Amperex which I just received a few days ago in my DAC. From the moment I first turned on the music, I was blown away by the sound. The sound leans to the slightly warmer side of neutral with great depth and realism. The bass is strong, tight and well controlled. The high frequencies are crisp and clear and cymbals sound very natural with good decay. There is no high frequency edginess or fatigue. The midrange is smooth and liquid. The leading edge of piano notes have no ring. Vocals have the most uncanny natural sound that I have ever heard (except for sytems costing many thousands more). The sound stage is very large (although not as large and transparent when I pair RCA's in both the DAC and preamp) with good transparency and air. These tubes pull every ounce of bass from my Magnepans and then some. Its really transformed the sound and taken it to the next level. Even though I'm using a Parasound ss A21 amp there is no digital edge. You would be hard pressed to tell my system is not all tube.

Today, I just bought the last 4 pair of C6G7's on ebay.

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 02:37 AM
I have some questions for you but I am heading out to work. Sounds like you've found a winner. My EICO HF85 contains original Mullards which have yet to be unseated. I have tried a pair of older RCA's rebadged Motorola (maybe GE?), while they sound nice, and certainly different, the Mullards are clearly worlds ahead.

blackraven
08-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Pops, what number tubes are you using?

Here's a link to a review I recently posted on the different tubes that I have used-

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84682.0

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey Raven. I will check out your link later or in the morning. Just on for a minute or two.

My Golden Tube has 6SN7 inputs and 6L6/5881 outputs. They can be modified, I think for EL84 or KT88, I forget...but I can't see myself ever bothering.

The EICO has 5 - 12AX7 and a 6X4 rectifier. I need to have it serviced, it still sounds amazing, but not in my reference system. The noise floor went up severely. It was very subtle, but apparent. No hum or buzz, but just less detail and a really "dirty" sound.

HOWEVER, I am using it in my HT system to buffer my Yammy CDC 575. All I can say is WOW. My gutless, unmusical Sony Pro is actually pumping out some gorgeous sound. Something I never thought possible.

It's a remarkable pre amp which I scored for only $100 with original tubes. The seller was an insanely eccentric audiophile with a wonderful set up. But anyhow, I guess that's OT.

I want to put Winged SEP C's into the SE40. I have a matched pair of Chrome Dome Sylvanias in the input stage, and they sound great. Improved the bass response too.

OK chat soon dude...

Chubbs

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
That was a great write up Raven. How do you enjoy AC? I see why you go there, they have an AVA room. Maybe I should go there and post this little shot...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/4570062094_645bcf9f78_z.jpg

blackraven
08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]That was a great write up Raven. How do you enjoy AC? I see why you go there, they have an AVA room. Maybe I should go there and post this little shot...

QUOTE]

Thats a great picture of Frank. I havent seen him smile too much.

I like the AC forum a lot. There is so much info there as well as very experienced people. I also like that it's a manufacturers forum as well. There are posts from the VP of Bryston in the Bryston circle. I find it very helpful because of the diversity or people and equipment. In the AVA room you can chat with Frank himself as well as some of the AVA technicians and suppliers.