Contact Cleaner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Contact Cleaner

dakatabg
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Ok guys here is my question, since I have so much gears home I have decided to clean the pots ans switches to all of them.

What is the best contact cleaner I can buy now? I see Deoxid is very popular but i wanna know what your opinion is.

Thank you, dakatabg

Poultrygeist
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Deoxit is way too expensive for general use and personally I haven't found it any better than brand x. The contact cleaner from Lowes has worked fine with my gear. Most of the brands have the same formulation anyway. Get some extra straws so you can make longer tubing lengths to snake into those hard to reach pot openings. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the spray as you can't hurt anything and it evaporates almost instantly.

TheHills44060
08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
i use Deoxit and ProGold but i agree you could find comparable stuff cheaper.

dakatabg
08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
So pretty much anything I get will work good for me.

I have read that some people after cleaning put something else like a second thing, (something like polish and finishing) what is that?

basite
08-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Deoxit is the "best", well actually, it is, but it's too expensive, so I'd first try "brand x", it'll probably work too...

Most importantly is not what brand of contact cleaner you use, but how you clean it. if you give it a quick spray, the problem might be resolved partially, but it'll come back soon after that. A better method is to spray the contact cleaner on the part you want to clean, make sure you spray it ON the component, and not it's housing or the wrong part (which tends to happen with potentiometers that have hard to reach parts...), and use/switch/turn the component you clean, many times, and spray some more contact cleaner over it.

the best method, however, is to give it a contact cleaner "bath", but this requires alot of dismantling :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

thekid
08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I have had great success for general cleaning with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner it is only $6-$7 a can. Since Deoxit is fairly expensive I would not use it for the first clean but only once you have established that the only problem you have is just dirty pots. It does not make sense to spray alot of expensive Deoxit to clean pots if it turns out the gear has a more serious problem.

dakatabg
08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
What do you guys think about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-MAX-Blow-Off-2053-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner-DPC-4-oz-/220543770652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_6674wt_913

If there is a better one can you show me a better one or a better offer? I want it to be on ebay because I have account there! Thank you again and to my friends here who helped me!

budgetaudio76
08-13-2010, 09:07 PM
yES THERE IS! CRC QD contact cleaner. Not as expenxive a what you r looking at

dakatabg
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I bought 3 CRC QD sprays 11oz so I will have a supply for few years ahead!

Thank you guys for you help!

JoeE SP9
08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
The way you go through gear that much may last you only 3 months.:smilewinkgrin:

Auricauricle
08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
'Pit on it!