Hey JM and REGA owners. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey JM and REGA owners.

jrhymeammo
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Maybe you guys have already seen this before, but it's certainly new to me so I decided to share. Not sure how much it weighs, but a shipping weight suggests it's close to 40 lbs.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1286827916&/Anvil-Turntables-Rega-plinth--

If I had a Rega deck it looks tempting at $500.

Have Fun,
JRA

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Interesting, 02audionoob has a P5, I wonder how much improvement there is from that point upward in the Rega line?

02audionoob
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
It's interesting how Rega says the P5 has a "complex CNC machined skeletal low mass micro-fibre plinth" and the P3-24 has a plinth constructed of "phenolic resin laminates, with a high quality edging" but someone selling a supposed upgrade calls it "chipboard".

JohnMichael
08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks like that zinc plinth uses the older single column tonearm and not the three point mounting tonearms. I would like to try one with a premounted bearing well and motor so I could easily compare the plinths.

jrhymeammo
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade this will be, but I imagine this will be a hot seller if it was designed to accept other tonearm mounts, including 12" arms.

older single column tonearm and not the three point mounting tonearms.

Good eyes, John!

JohnMichael
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Good eyes, John!

Ya and they said by now I would be blind.

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Since I have the entire AR analog community here. My Ariston has transported me to the next level. It was the missing link. I am completely immersed in gorgeous, tonal and complete sound. Every detail is audible. I am awe struck, completely frickin awestruck.

I have been tearing through my collection, relistening to all of my faves, with virgin ears.

02audionoob
08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
This seems like the kind of thing you would do if you like the Rega arms but not the whole turntable. Me, I like the synergy the whole turntable has.

02audionoob
08-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Since I have the entire AR analog community here. My Ariston has transported me to the next level. It was the missing link. I am completely immersed in gorgeous, tonal and complete sound. Every detail is audible. I am awe struck, completely frickin awestruck.

I have been tearing through my collection, relistening to all of my faves, with virgin ears.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with the Ariston being 10, how would you rate your other turntables?

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Without a doubt a 6, with features holding them up from a 4 or 5. Straight SQ? Maybe even a 3. The detail alone is miles away, complete seperation of instruments. Anyhow, I could go on and on...insert usual audiophile upgrade claims. It's improved my analog ability in every regard. Your P5 must be like dancing on a cloud. I wonder how the Ariston would compare. Oh oh oh, DiMeola in the room gotta go....

02audionoob
08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Without a doubt a 6, with features holding them up from a 4 or 5. Straight SQ? Maybe even a 3. The detail alone is miles away, complete seperation of instruments. Anyhow, I could go on and on...insert usual audiophile upgrade claims. It's improved my analog ability in every regard. Your P5 must be like dancing on a cloud. I wonder how the Ariston would compare. Oh oh oh, DiMeola in the room gotta go....

To me, SQ is the only thing. Features? What features? We don't need no stinking features!

http://www.auburnmedia.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/03-21-06_alfonso-bedoya.jpg

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 06:20 PM
True dat popi! Anyhow, I can't believe that I got it for $300. Plus, he just bought a brand new belt for it from LPGear. It's a square belt for $35. It was still in the packaging. I'm pumped, it's like having a new lease on all of my gear, and LPs for that matter.

How did you contain yourself after the P5 upgrade?

jrhymeammo
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Poppa,

Congrats and try not to over do it by staying up past 2AM listening to music.
That's what I've been doing this week trying to catch up for all the time I've missed this quarter.

What shape of tonearm mount did it come with? I would need to do some research, but the one with just square board(instead of a circular mount) maybe the easiest one to toy with. Whatever it may be, sounds like it's kicking aRse as is.

Have Fun,
JRA

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks J. It has a circular mount with a PL-41 arm. The arm is crazy light, new for me. I will photograph everything once the mood hits me. Right now I just want to listen. plus I stand a better shot at pics with daylight.

The arm is something I would like to upgrade in the near future. I have 9cc on the brain.

jrhymeammo
08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Do you plan to fabricate the armboard yourself?

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
There is no plan yet. If it's not too difficult then perhaps.

basite
08-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade this will be, but I imagine this will be a hot seller if it was designed to accept other tonearm mounts, including 12" arms.

Good eyes, John!

yes, but, with a 12 inch arms mounting possibility, you wouldn't be able to use REGA arms anymore, which is, IMHO, the only reason to buy a rega, because the arms are so good for their money.

Now:

wood: check
copper plate: check
now, where did I leave my router and jigsaw...