Danger Mouse + Sparklehorse = Pure Bliss [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Danger Mouse + Sparklehorse = Pure Bliss

Snowbunny
08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I went on a bit of a buying spree to a big box store the other night hoping to find Arcade Fire's Suburbia, and not only did I find it, but I was drawn to an image of a little lamb sitting in the palm of a giant hand.

Imagine my shock to find a collaboration between Danger Mouse and Sparkle Horse called Dark Night of the Soul!

I'm not familiar with Danger Mouse, other than they are a favourite of my girl, Snookie, but I am a big fan of Sparkle Horse.

It's been a rare event these days for me to fall in love with a CD on first play, but this is a very special album.

I'll try to add some more useful thoughts after a few hundred more spins, but I think this might appeal to some of the old-timers around here.

And if anyone has anything to add about Danger Mouse, I'd appreciate it!

:2:

Slosh
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, you have been living under a rock, haven't you?

I really like "Just War" and "Everytime I'm With You", but of course that may have a little something to do with me liking SFA and Grandaddy.

While you're out and about go buy Broken Bells. Now! Go!

Swish
08-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I went on a bit of a buying spree to a big box store the other night hoping to find Arcade Fire's Suburbia, and not only did I find it, but I was drawn to an image of a little lamb sitting in the palm of a giant hand.

Imagine my shock to find a collaboration between Danger Mouse and Sparkle Horse called Dark Night of the Soul!

I'm not familiar with Danger Mouse, other than they are a favourite of my girl, Snookie, but I am a big fan of Sparkle Horse. :2:

Mark Linkous, the leader of Sparklehorse, committed suicide and died on March 6th of this year. It was his second attempt, the other being back in 1996 (some say it was an overdose, me thinks not).

As for Arcade Fire, the record is The Suburbs, but you were close.

I agree with Slosh. The Broken Bells record should be right up your alley with James Mercer and Brian Burton (D.M.) collaborating, and it's really good.

Glad you're coming around here again Snowbuns.

Swishdaddy

Slosh
08-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I agree with Spoon.And Spoon agrees with me. :)

Snowbunny
08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Swishdaddy,

First of all, who the heck is this Spoon you're agreeing with? Someone new I haven't met?

You know, last night when I was doing some research on DNOTS, I found that story on Mark Linkous! How incredibly sad! It seems like some of the best songs are written by tortured souls - we seem to lose so many of them before their time. :(

Now that you have seen Arcade Fire in person and have the new album, why don't you open a review thread. I've got it on repeat in my car player and though I saw that it is now a #1 chart topper, I'm wondering if it's really a good album, or if they just really hit the mainstream public's notice.

I'm going to try and be a regular again, but it feels a little lonely here compared to the old days.

Snowie

Mark Linkous, the leader of Sparklehorse, committed suicide and died on March 6th of this year. It was his second attempt, the other being back in 1996 (some say it was an overdose, me thinks not).

As for Arcade Fire, the record is The Suburbs, but you were close.

I agree with Spoon. The Broken Bells record should be right up your alley with James Mercer and Brian Burton (D.M.) collaborating, and it's really good.

Glad you're coming around here again Snowbuns.

Swishdaddy

Snowbunny
08-13-2010, 08:55 AM
And Spoon agrees with me. :)

Heheheheh.... you quick wit, you!

Swish
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi Swishdaddy,

First of all, who the heck is this Spoon you're agreeing with? Someone new I haven't met?

Snowie

I'm multi-tasking, as usual, and typed my reply in haste and didn't proof-read it (do I ever?). Slosh agrees with Spoon so it's all good.

I'm not sure I'm the right guy to start a review thread on The Suburbs since I'm heading to the Outer Banks for vacation tomorrow. Maybe upon my return with a dark tan and batteries recharged.

Later Buns!

Swishbaby

Swish
08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
And Spoon agrees with me. :)

I had to laugh when I read that. So typical.

Slosh
08-13-2010, 09:03 AM
psst....hey SB, you'll be able to preview BB in about an hour. ;)

edit: that winkie is kinda creepy, no?

Mr MidFi
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Yeah. Wot he sez. For realizies.

Snowbunny
08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Wow, you have been living under a rock, haven't you?

I really like "Just War" and "Everytime I'm With You", but of course that may have a little something to do with me liking SFA and Grandaddy.

Were that it was so easy, my dear Slosh...

I will look for an on-line seller and have in my eager hands in two weeks, give or take.

I did a search of RR to see if there were already any threads on Dark Night of the Soul, but there were no hits!

It made sense that I would love it when I saw the collaborators from Flaming Lips, Granddaddy, The Strokes, Shins, Suzanne Vega, Nina Persson, Iggy Pop and film maker David Lynch.

It might be a bit buzzy, poppy, staticy for some folks, but it really is my cup of tea. What an interesting project, and how sad that Linkous has left this world.

Since you live on top of that rock, Sloshy, what do you hear about a Sparklehorse album that was completed before Linkous died back in March? :14:

Snowbunny

Slosh
08-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Since you live on top of that rock, Sloshy, what do you hear about a Sparklehorse album that was completed before Linkous died back in March? :14:
Maybe I need to crawl out from under my rock too. All I heard was DNotS was the album you're talking about. BTW, it leaked last year but didn't get an official release until this July.

I almost picked up an Elliott Smith tribute album the other day but recently had a bad experience with a terrible Radiohead tribute album (with John Vanderslice, Flaming Lips, etc. - looked good on paper, so to speak) so I passed for now.

Keep an eye on your PM in box.

Snowbunny
08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
psst....hey SB, you'll be able to preview BB in about an hour. ;)

edit: that winkie is kinda creepy, no?

Hey, how are you posting replies to posts I haven't even posted? :confused5:

As always, you're a swell guy, Sloshie!

Snowie

I've recently become an old movie buff so you might notice the use of some dated vocabulary in my posts.

Slosh
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
As always, you're a swell guy, Sloshie!
The swelling goes away.

Snowbunny
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
The swelling goes away.

Well, that's a relief!

Keep in mind that if it last for more than 4 hours you should seek medical attention.

Just doing my part,

Snowie

Stone
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I was wondering why I kept passing out.