kd lang? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : kd lang?

ForeverAutumn
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I love kd lang's voice! The only CD of hers that I have is Hymn's of the 49th Parallel.

I'd like to pick up a couple more of her disks, but I don't want anything to twangy or country. Is anyone here a fan? Can you make recommendations of which disks are good?

Thanks.

JohnMichael
08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I love kd lang's voice! The only CD of hers that I have is Hymn's of the 49th Parallel.

I'd like to pick up a couple more of her disks, but I don't want anything to twangy or country. Is anyone here a fan? Can you make recommendations of which disks are good?

Thanks.

Ingenue

luvtolisten
08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
My all-time favorite duet song was by K D Lang & Roy Orbison (Crying) what powerful voices!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EiKPrAOHA

I do have the CD "Shadowland" by her, but it may be too twangy for you. It was produced by Owen Bradley. Has a lot of great torch/broken heart songs, which remind me of the great Patsy Cline.

There is a DVD out from the A&E series 'By Request" with some of her better songs as well as covers of standards.

Luvin Da Blues
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
A fan??? I used to party with her in Edmonton before she became big. A fellow class mate, during a recording engineering course I was taking, was her room mate. We used to go watch her in the pubs after class.

Finch Platte
08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Whatever's got Constant Craving on it.

noddin0ff
08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Least twangy rec is Ingenue (incl. Constant Craving, Save me)

Best showcase of voice I think is Shadowland. Worth the twang and country; you'll survive.

Auricauricle
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
K. d. lang's voice is one of the best things in the music world today, as far as I am concerned, FA. Sadly, I don't have anywhere near all of her albums; but I will agree with JM's recommendation of Ingenue, the album that put her name and reputation as a highly intelligent, polished and capable songwriter on the map. The lyrics and music are beautifully crafted and deftly executed in phrases that keep you plugged into the music from the start and long after the disc is over. A very good addition to anyone's collection.

But, as long as we're mentioning addictions, let me recommend my own, personal, favorite: Drag. Drag (1997) is a tribute to smoking, of course, and in a collection of 12 loving songs about cigarettes, smoke rings, and lost loves k.d. sings as though she just hasn't had enough. In her rendition of Hammond and Hazlewood's The Air that I Breathe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGP8GJsvhI) her voice is a supple instrument. She just glides through the song as if she hasn't a care in the world, and the music, somewhat Eastern, somewhere lost in the fog, just clings to her. Other songs, such as Steve Miller's The Joker are just as wonderfully crafted, contributing to a mix that, in my mind is as terrific and (dare I say?) addictive as anything I have enjoyed in a very long time. In all, Drag is a lovingly recorded and performed album that really showcases k.d. lang's talent and ability. It it an essential part of my collection and I turn to it often--especially when the night is late and the lights are low....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/K.d._lang_-_Drag.jpg