Polk Monitor 5 or KEF C-30 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Monitor 5 or KEF C-30

luvtolisten
08-12-2010, 04:51 AM
I really don't need another pair of speakers, but I got the itch for something different.I can get either of these (Polk Monitor 5's or KEF C-30's) for about the same price, Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

thekid
08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't have any personal experience with either speaker but am familiar with close cousins. I have a pair of Polk 10's and KEF C-45's. My guess is that the Polk will be better on the extreme ends of the spectrum and will hold a significant edge on bass over the KEF's. The KEF's are what some would say a typical British sound meaning that it is laid back with good overall sound but lacks the prominent bass. It is not that the KEF is weak on bass it is just not the proununced thump many people identify as true bass. I think it will come down to what type of music you listen to or at least what you will be listening to with these speakers. The KEF's will excel with Jazz,Classical and Accoustic. The Polks should do well with all of those genre's plus a little bit of Rock.

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I have the KEF C-20. Typical British refinement. If that's your bag, go for it. I put them on my buddy's 120 wpc Realistic amp and they sung like no tommorrow. Personally I think the KEFs will have a more "mature" sound than the Polks.

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the response Kid and Poppa C. I have the Polk SDA II's but it may be blasphemy, but I'm not crazy about the SDA effect, just sounds tinty or hollow to me.. They sound a little bright to me but they have the SL 1000 tweeters which others have found too bright as well. I've thought about updating them, but there are 2 per speaker and the cost would be $100 more then I paid for the speakers off CL alone. The Monitor 5's had SL 2500 tweeters, which is supposedly a better tweeter. I decided against the Monitor 5's because the shipping (on ebay) was more than the speaker itself, which didn't give me warm fuzzy feeling about the seller. I was hoping the KEF's C 30 were something special, since it followed the Coda series which was well received, but from what I'm hearing it's an okay speaker, but not a great speaker. Both were around $120 after shipping, which I guess would be an okay deal, but not great?

poppachubby
08-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Both were around $120 after shipping, which I guess would be an okay deal, but not great?

I'd say that's par for the course, considering the shipping costs.

thekid
08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
LtL

Well you don't want to talk price with me.....I think my reputation as a cheap b#st^d is well established....... :D

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:03 PM
:D
LtL

Well you don't want to talk price with me.....I think my reputaion as a cheap b#st^d is well established....... :D

Thats why you & Dak are my mentors (please feel free to call me grasshopper:D ) I want to be a cheap b#stard too! Speakers always sound all the sweeter if it's a deal!:thumbsup:

cignaguy
03-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Hello All.........................

I'm new to this forum and would like to view the attachments.

They were not "X" out prior to my registration.

How can I view each?

Thanks for your help.

luvtolisten
04-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Hello All.........................

I'm new to this forum and would like to view the attachments.

They were not "X" out prior to my registration.

How can I view each?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, and welcome. I had the same problem until I switched from Explorer 9 to Google Chrome. I have Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 9 is the highest you can run on Vista.