First speaker build [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First speaker build

she_devi86
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey,
What would be the best type of speaker to build for a first time project?
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
But I dont really know where to start, or what would be the best type.
Thanks in advance
Roxy

basite
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey,
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
Thanks in advance
Roxy

sealed box will be easiest, then vented with ports, after you master that, you could start with horns, and folded & backfolded horns, or transmission lines...

welcome to AR, btw :)

Geoffcin
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
We have several resident DIY guys here that have made fabulous speakers. What was your price range?

poppachubby
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Hello she_devi86, and welcome to AR! Just a reminder that double posts are not allowed. I have merged your posts here in the DIY forum, where I felt it best fit.

There are a few builders here, I'm sure they'll chime in. Enjoy the forum!

kexodusc
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey,
Thanks in advance
Roxy
For your first project, best to build a proven design - plenty of DIY websites with lots of great info and excellent designs that are fully documented, including:
Partsexpress.com
zaphaudio.com
http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6

If you had a budget, and speaker size in mind (as well as size of room they will play in) I could make a suggestion or two.

Dual-500
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
What is your cabinet building experience level?

If beginner, you may want to consider a full kitted project for a starter. Something you do finish work only on the cabinets, plus wiring and driver installation, etc.

Or pick out pre-made and finished enclosures and select all the components, drivers and crossover(s), etc.

Parts Express has been mentioned - a good place for a builder to start.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=603&CFID=27936713&CFTOKEN=70747491

3LB
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
If you could please indulge me, describe your major and the extent of your studies thus far. I would be inclined to think you knew a bit about the subject given your education.

The suggestions laid out thus far are valid. You also should consider what would be your expectation of a speaker; what function would you like it to perform? where will you listen to it? bookshelf? home stereo? home theater? near-field (studio monitor or computer)?

If you're doing this for a college credit, you might be asked to describe the proposed function and concept of your design, why you chose it, etc.

We expect a full report! ;)

GMichael
08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
If you could please indulge me, describe your major and the extent of your studies thus far. I would be inclined to think you knew a bit about the subject given your education.

The suggestions laid out thus far are valid. You also should consider what would be your expectation of a speaker; what function would you like it to perform? where will you listen to it? bookshelf? home stereo? home theater? near-field (studio monitor or computer)?

If you're doing this for a college credit, you might be asked to describe the proposed function and concept of your design, why you chose it, etc.

We expect a full report! ;)

You flirt..

she_devi86
08-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

price range I really have no idea, lower the better ( i am a student after all lol) i dont really know :s speaker size not huge but not tiny one to fit in to a regular sized room. Not really had any experience building a cabinet, i have to build that myself.

We've not covered anything about building speakers only how they work and stuff, i wanted to do something different seen as 90% of students do albums. only 5 speakers have been built at my uni and done by girls, so i want to push my self and achieve something i've never done before. Depending on what type of speaker i build it will either go in my bedroom, the front room, or in a friends home studio.

Roxy

Dual-500
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Hello Roxy. I would suggest you build something in the 2-way bookshelf range. Something you can haul around with you in your travels the next few years as you do additional schooling or start a career and move around.

If it's a requirement that you build the cabinets or simply want to go that route, get someone who's done some cabinet work to assist or mentor you through the build. Otherwise, I suggest buying pre- made or kit (parts cut and you assemble) cabinets as making a square box requires a degree of skill and tools.

Do you have access to a wood shop at school? Maybe someone there can help you with the basics of building the cabinets.

Whatever you do - keep your first build. Wish I still had mine just for a keepsake. :)

she_devi86
08-19-2010, 03:13 AM
I dont have access at school but i do at home, my dad and my uncle have work shops/ garages with tools so can use them.

devuonoste
08-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Check out GR Research

http://www.gr-research.com/

I would talk to Danny Ritchie and ask his opinion on what speaker kit to use.

3LB
08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I would suggest a single driver concept, if that were allowable.

What will be the most important aspect of your project with regard to a grade; should your emphasis be the electric components (cross-over network) or the cabinet design? a bit of both?

There are some painfully easy projects out there, but it depends on your instructor and in higher Ed, you always have to play up to the instructor. I have assisted a couple of students with similar projects, one being a single driver concept (no cross-over network) but if the project is simple, you'll need to be able to concisely explain the concept to justify it.

Do you know just what will constitute a successful design where your grade is concerned?

I'm on my cellphone or I'd post links to make my post a little clearer. I am a long-time builder and have one first prize w/ a single driver concept ('06) and second prize w/ a 3-way design ('08) in the Puget Sound Audio Society semi-annual ameture speaker building contest. Both designs, while researched and studied, were easy and on the cheap (anybody can spend money).

damn, I done went SirT on this thread :eek:

she_devi86
08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
its a bit of both i think. Its a bit awkward at the moment as i don't know the ins and outs of it yet as my year hasn't started yet and wont till the end of september, I just wanted to get a head start/ basic idea/ plan I was goin to do.

Poultrygeist
08-27-2010, 04:04 AM
If you are looking for easy and cheap this is your best bet. I've built both the Betsys and a pair of Tang Bands (see my gallery photos) in Open Baffle configuration. Great sounding speakers.

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php

Poultrygeist
08-27-2010, 04:07 AM
If you are looking for easy and cheap this is your best bet. I've built both the Betsys and a pair of Tang Bands (see my gallery photos) in Open Baffle configuration. Great sounding speakers.

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php

she_devi86
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I have decided to build a sub bass for my project, I have been informed this will be fine to do as my FMP ( Final Major Project) Reading through the Yamaha Sound reinforcement hand book atm, any other book, papers etc worth reading?

Dual-500
10-04-2010, 03:46 PM
HI FI Loudspeaker and Enclosures - By Abraham B Cohen

Regarded by many as "The Bible" on loudspeaker design. I used to check this one out from the nearby library years ago.

It's worth finding a copy and reading it. It will give you the theory of what you are building.

Make the project much more interesting. It's written at a level a layman can understand - a college graduate student as yourself will have no problem digesting the theory.

Good choice BTW.