Anyone own or familiar with Klipsch KG-4s? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own or familiar with Klipsch KG-4s?

Swish
08-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm piecing together a 2 channel rig for my LR and need some better-than-average speaker but I don't want to spend a ton, so I found a pair locally for $199. The guy claims they are mint but they were built in 1990. He also claims that are rarely used. I Googled them and found some very good reviews, but I trust the people here more than...well...the people 'out there'.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

dakatabg
08-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Never had a chance to hear them but I have read good things about them too! I like how they have 2 speakers in front 1 one woofer on the back! There are the same ones going on ebay for $400 plus shipping so you are getting a deal there too especially if they are mint and barely used like the seller says!

Jimmy C
08-11-2010, 02:09 PM
... a friend still has a pair of 3.5s that I listened to not too long ago.

They were nice... better than I thought they were gonna be, although it was a brief listen.

Can you demo? If they are indeed mint, and you like, I don't think you can go too wrong for the money... no shipping charges, right?

I had the KG2s in about '88... I liked my friend's relatively recent demo moreso than I did my 2s... (FWICR)

The rear speaker is a drone... just a way to tune the box, not active... the KG2s had one as well.

Swish
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
... a friend still has a pair of 3.5s that I listened to not too long ago.

They were nice... better than I thought they were gonna be, although it was a brief listen.

Can you demo? If they are indeed mint, and you like, I don't think you can go too wrong for the money... no shipping charges, right?

I had the KG2s in about '88... I liked my friend's relatively recent demo moreso than I did my 2s... (FWICR)

The rear speaker is a drone... just a way to tune the box, not active... the KG2s had one as well.

...and would pick them up of course. A good friend is selling his Ohm Walsh IIs, but they're brown and the tops need to be repaired, so I'm not sure I would buy them, although I do like the sound very much. The Klipsch are black, so they'll match my black plasma TV, components and stand perfectly, and that's pretty important too. I suppose I could paint the Ohms, but I hate to create work for myself. I have enough on my plate already.

thekid
08-12-2010, 01:38 AM
They have a good rep and the price is right as There have been a few appear on CL locally in the $200-$300 range. People seem to either love or hate Klipsch but they hold their value so that tells you something. For $200 if you did not like them you probably would not have a problem flipping them and getting your money back.

Worf101
08-12-2010, 03:28 AM
They have a good rep and the price is right as There have been a few appear on CL locally in the $200-$300 range. People seem to either love or hate Klipsch but they hold their value so that tells you something. For $200 if you did not like them you probably would not have a problem flipping them and getting your money back.
Everything he said. I also had a set of KG-4 and Heresey's for a brief time. They sounded "alright" but didn't fit either the room (my computer room) nor the applications for which I'd bought them. I did get every penny and more back on em though...

Worf

bobsticks
08-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Will the Klipschs be doing just television duty?

My concern is that the horn's voicing won't be to your liking on music applications given your proclivity for Paradigm.

bfalls
08-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I've had my Kg4s since around the mid 80's. I've never heard the harsh/horny sound attributed to Klipsch speakers. They're one of my favorites I'll never sell. I performed the Crites titanium tweeter upgrades and they sound even better.

Let me know if you don't buy them. They'd make a great Christmas gift for my daughter. BTW, they're one of the best imaging speakers I own. I have them setup about 6ft apart on either side of my display, toed in slightly toward the listening position.

Swish
08-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Will the Klipschs be doing just television duty?

My concern is that the horn's voicing won't be to your liking on music applications given your proclivity for Paradigm.

My HT room will be set up with the Paradigms, so I wanted to have something a little better than decent in the LR for TV and casual 2 channel listening. I lost them to another buyer anyway, so now I asked about Infinity Kappa 6s.

Swish
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I've had my Kg4s since around the mid 80's. I've never heard the harsh/horny sound attributed to Klipsch speakers. They're one of my favorites I'll never sell. I performed the Crites titanium tweeter upgrades and they sound even better.

Let me know if you don't buy them. They'd make a great Christmas gift for my daughter. BTW, they're one of the best imaging speakers I own. I have them setup about 6ft apart on either side of my display, toed in slightly toward the listening position.

I had a time and date set up for yesterday, then he calls me and said someone else got there before me and bought them. Had he called me to tell me someone else wanted to see them before me, I would have altered my schedule. I can't blame the guy too much, but I thought it was a bit, I don't know, abrasive? I mean, we had an appointment and he allowed someone else to pull the rug out from under me.

bobsticks
08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I had a time and date set up for yesterday, then he calls me and said someone else got there before me and bought them. Had he called me to tell me someone else wanted to see them before me, I would have altered my schedule. I can't blame the guy too much, but I thought it was a bit, I don't know, abrasive? I mean, we had an appointment and he allowed someone else to pull the rug out from under me.

It ain't easy bein' Swish...