Hey JM, Feanor, Pat D., emaidel.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey JM, Feanor, Pat D., emaidel....

bobsticks
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
or anyone interested in something a bit different...

I plunked this thing down on the counter a few months ago but didn't sit down to do any serious, critical listening until today. It immediately made me think of a recent discussion round these parts about the Kronos Quartet and something they had done bordering on "atonal".

In any case, Rainbow is a collaboration between the Quartet and some Azerbaijani folk singers/musicians. It's done in conjunction with the Smithsonian Folkways Recordings group and the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. It's a well-packaged, two disc CD/DVD combo for not a lot of money and appeared to be just one in a series of partnerships. The sound quality is quite good and Azerbaijani tendency to emphasize different notes makes the passages certainly more challenging that typical western fare.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124828092

JohnMichael
08-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Sounds very interesting. I must get a copy. I have more time to listent to music.

Pat D
08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
or anyone interested in something a bit different...

I plunked this thing down on the counter a few months ago but didn't sit down to do any serious, critical listening until today. It immediately made me think of a recent discussion round these parts about the Kronos Quartet and something they had done bordering on "atonal".

In any case, Rainbow is a collaboration between the Quartet and some Azerbaijani folk singers/musicians. It's done in conjunction with the Smithsonian Folkways Recordings group and the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. It's a well-packaged, two disc CD/DVD combo for not a lot of money and appeared to be just one in a series of partnerships. The sound quality is quite good and Azerbaijani tendency to emphasize different notes makes the passages certainly more challenging that typical western fare.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124828092

Thanks for the tip, bobsticks.

bobsticks
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
No problemo my friends...y'all have tipped me to so may solid recordings that anytime I run across a superlative recording or novel composition I wanna shout it from the rooftops.