Paradigm Siesmic Series 12 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Siesmic Series 12

cam
04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
It's a pretty radical design, just wondering if anybody has bought one and put it through a real home environment ht beating. 1200 rms 4500peak holy $%@# !

Woochifer
04-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Keep in mind that the amps on the Seismic series are Class D amps, which is basically digital amplification. They tend to measure very well on output tests, but the jury's still out on them for main amplification. Because subwoofers cover a limited part of the frequency band, things like Class D amps and parametric equalizers are more widely accepted.

That Seismic sub in general looks very formidable, with that massive downfiring driver and double passive radiators.

topspeed
04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Keep in mind that the amps on the Seismic series are Class D amps, which is basically digital amplification. They tend to measure very well on output tests, but the jury's still out on them for main amplification.

Listen to the PS Audio HCA2 and decide for yourself. You're in The City, it shouldn't be too hard to find a dealer up there. Bare in mind that Jeff Rowland's new 500wpc monos are also digital hybrids. Hmmm, maybe these guys are onto something, no?

Woochifer
04-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Listen to the PS Audio HCA2 and decide for yourself. You're in The City, it shouldn't be too hard to find a dealer up there. Bare in mind that Jeff Rowland's new 500wpc monos are also digital hybrids. Hmmm, maybe these guys are onto something, no?

I know that those and the Bel Cantos have a good reputation so I'm willing to keep an open mind. The first digital amps that I tried out several years ago sounded awful, and in general I'm kinda wary of gimmicky designs that measure very well on output tests but potentially pose other issues in everyday use (my favorite example is the Carver Magnetic Field amps from the 1980s, which got a lot of notoriety for their high output, light weight, and cool-to-the-touch operation, yet couldn't handle the UL safety tests without posing a fire hazard. Subsequently, they got banned in L.A. County because the fire department does not allow any non-UL consumer electronics to be sold there.)