NAD T775 Vs. Cambridge Audio 6750R [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD T775 Vs. Cambridge Audio 6750R

pajr2179
08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Hello agan,

Well, I spent about an hour listening to the AVR4310CI and a similiar Pioneer Elite. I was not real impressed by either. Also, I was not impressed that after occupying their sound room for an hour testing different gear and manuevering speakers, no one even said hello to me. Magnolia is the worst (at least in my area).

Anyway, I went to my Rotel dealer (WorldWide Stereo) that I work with and he (and co-workers) were not a big fan of the RSX1560. He really would not even show it me, partly because they took it out of their soundroom . The NAD replaced it. So, I listened to the NAD T775 ($2800). I listened to both music and movies and was blown away. The idea that you could upgrade to HDMI 1.4 was also nice. However, I read a review of the Cambridge 6750R recently and for about 1k cheaper it got amazing reviews.

The listening was my first experience with NAD. Anyone have any opinions on NAD? Cambridge? I almost want to listen to the Cambridge, but I don't think it would change my mind. Is there something else, not more than 3k you would consider? I am interested to see what others think. My birthday is next week, so I have just about a week before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Pete

kelsci
08-08-2010, 03:58 PM
There is a Cambridge 650R; there was not listing for a 6750R. There was only 1 review posted on this receiver which did "ok".

Buying electronic goods becomes a real chore. At least you were able to some degree to eliminate possible choices. Up to nearly 3 grand, I think there are more choices to possible look into from other manufacturers. It may be close to your birthday, but the idea is to spend monies on the best possible choice even if you buy it after your birthday.
If that NAD really sounds good and has the features you need and can afford it, it should be one to consider. In the latter past, NAD'S quality control bothered me somewhat. So if its a NAD you hope to get a "good one", one that delivers the proper power and sound. A good NAD can reproduce a resounding large sound signature. The reason why I spoke about quality control is some years back I had a 7220PE 20watt per ch. receiver. It was great and powered correctly a passive dynaquad system I used. I had tried other brands of stuff on that circuit and only that receiver did it the most correct. I wanted alittle more power so I bought the 7225PE 25 watt per channel receiver. This unit had no power or volume and I returned it immediately. I have a 3240PE amp from them that while it has the NAD signature sound, it just does not perform right too. Try to shop more and look and try if possible. Try to buy where you have a money back gurantee whatever you purchase.

pajr2179
08-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah thats it:) I always get model numbers backwards. Usually, I upgrade my system in some way around birthday into Christmas. I am not too concerned about return issues. WorldWide allows you try their gear in home so long as you leave a deposit. You make a good point about QC control. I heard some years ago that NAD was referred to as "nearly always defective." It seems NAD has changed. The next step up at WorldWide is Mcintosh which is way out of my price range. This weekend I am visiting another audio shop out in MD that has a wider selection, so it wll be an interesting comparison.

Thanks for your input. I am always open for suggestions.

frenchmon
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
The NAD is 3K? Shoot, if it where me, I would get the New Marantz thats about to be released for half that price and have money left over for maybe something else. But I dont think it will be relesed before next week, but saving $1500 is saveing $1500

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3230.asp

bobsticks
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
The NAD is 3K? Shoot, if it where me, I would get the New Marantz thats about to be released for half that price and have money left over for maybe something else. But I dont think it will be relesed before next week, but saving $1500 is saveing $1500

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3230.asp

Very good advice.

kelsci
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I would also take Frenchmon's advice and look into this Marantz receiver. From the specs, it is very well equipped. My brother has a Marantz that is about 4 years old. I found it to be a good receiver with good sound. I was not crazy about the onscreen menu set-up in some areas though. That does not mean this new model falls into that realm. He said recently to me that there seem to be menu readout problems however I personally will not believe it unless I handled the receiver myself. Marantz has its own signature sound which is sort of "natural" and the units generally review very well for the monies. Nad has its own signature sound. I would think it is not as natural sounding as the Marantz, but is sharp,detailed and feroucious. The only thing I ever heard that was more ferocious then anything was a Dynaco Pat 4 and Stereo 120 poweramp and again with Dynaco you had to find a "good one". If they were still in business and making a home theater receiver it might leave anything from Nad in the dust.

E-Stat
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
The NAD replaced it. So, I listened to the NAD T775 ($2800). I listened to both music and movies and was blown away.
I find that current NAD stuff is indeed very neutral sounding. Perhaps not the last word in resolution, but good enough for HT. I've used a T763 for seven trouble free years. I've also heard the 325BEE and the 355BEE and found they can drive challenging loads and deliver lots of dynamic power. I would be leery of any *700* watt AB amp that weighs only 28 lbs such as the Marantz. The NAD weighs 44.

The idea that you could upgrade to HDMI 1.4 was also nice.
Part of what you're paying for is the modular design where all of the input boards are replaceable so as decoder standards change, you could upgrade the unit without having to replace it. That feature may or may not be valuable to you.

Is there something else, not more than 3k you would consider? I am interested to see what others think.
While the AV standards seem to change on an annual basis and the replacement for HDMI already on the horizon, you might try buying an AV processor and a separate power amp. In that way, you can update the processor to stay current without having to replace everything at once.

rw

PeruvianSkies
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Both companies put out solid products, what I have found to be true with both is that by the time you get to their flagship series and are spending that type of cash, you are at the point that you are looking at other companies that offer even higher-end solutions for the same dollars.

Would anyone else say that is probably true?

As far as their lower to mid-line level products though, they are solid, and work well in almost any system, but become revealing in nature when paired with slightly above mid-level to higher end systems and become weak links.

Everything that I have ever heard from NAD and experienced first-hand myself has always been trouble-free and as E-Stat mentioned....neutral, which depending on your goals and tastes, this could be the way to go.

bobsticks
08-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Both companies put out solid products, what I have found to be true with both is that by the time you get to their flagship series and are spending that type of cash, you are at the point that you are looking at other companies that offer even higher-end solutions for the same dollars.

Would anyone else say that is probably true?

I agree that both companies put out "solid products" but I've never heard anything from NAD worth 3k...and given the disposable nature of receivers that's some cheese to spend on an also-ran...YMMV...

chalpin3
08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm transitioning at the moment. I've got 5 Martin-Logan electrostatic speakers (Aeons for side surrounds, Odysseys for the front, and Cinema stage for the center) plus an unrelated smaller pair I plan to use for the very rear 2-ch. I have a Rotel 200 w/ch 5 channel power amp that has both RCA and XLR inputs for each channel; the amp drives the ML's just fine, and a Mirage 180w powered SW from the 1990's. Now the weak part: a Sony ES receiver, circa 2000, that I use primarily as a pre-amp since it's got DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, and 2 multichannel inputs, a 5.1 & separate 7.1. AND it has 7.1 channel RCA type pre-outs. Oh, I do keep the Rotel amp & whatever preamp within a few feet of each other and I have a Richard Gray Power Company 1200C surge protector/power conditioner.

I'm trying out my 1st Blu-ray player; it's a 3D with 7.1 analog pre-outs. I figure this way I can wait on upgrading the pre-amp and budget the $ instead towards getting a 3D HDTV, IF there's going to be enough content, OR, I could return the 3D Blu-ray player, get the best possible 2D Blu-ray player and concentrate the $ towards the Pre-amp or Receiver purchase, using an existing 2D HDTV.

So here are the questions: I like the upgradeability NAD offers & I've had good experience with their previous stuff, but their pre-outs are RCA only. The Marantz receiver at half the price is not upgradeable, but offers XLR and RCA pre-outs; however, I have not found one of their Universal DVD/SACD players to be user-friendly. Opinions, anyone?

Lastly, I'm leaning towards the receiver version of these models, rather than the pre-amp version, as they both cost the same (obviously the pre-amp only models put more build quality into their chassis & maybe a couple of extra proc. features,) but this way if my Rotel needs to be repaired, I could use the power amp in the receiver for my speakers, albeit not trying to achieve the same volume of sound. Does this sound reasonable, too, or is it significantly better to stay with a pre-amp only if $ & space are not considerations?

PeruvianSkies
08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm transitioning at the moment. I've got 5 Martin-Logan electrostatic speakers (Aeons for side surrounds, Odysseys for the front, and Cinema stage for the center) plus an unrelated smaller pair I plan to use for the very rear 2-ch. I have a Rotel 200 w/ch 5 channel power amp that has both RCA and XLR inputs for each channel; the amp drives the ML's just fine, and a Mirage 180w powered SW from the 1990's. Now the weak part: a Sony ES receiver, circa 2000, that I use primarily as a pre-amp since it's got DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, and 2 multichannel inputs, a 5.1 & separate 7.1. AND it has 7.1 channel RCA type pre-outs. Oh, I do keep the Rotel amp & whatever preamp within a few feet of each other and I have a Richard Gray Power Company 1200C surge protector/power conditioner.

I'm trying out my 1st Blu-ray player; it's a 3D with 7.1 analog pre-outs. I figure this way I can wait on upgrading the pre-amp and budget the $ instead towards getting a 3D HDTV, IF there's going to be enough content, OR, I could return the 3D Blu-ray player, get the best possible 2D Blu-ray player and concentrate the $ towards the Pre-amp or Receiver purchase, using an existing 2D HDTV.

So here are the questions: I like the upgradeability NAD offers & I've had good experience with their previous stuff, but their pre-outs are RCA only. The Marantz receiver at half the price is not upgradeable, but offers XLR and RCA pre-outs; however, I have not found one of their Universal DVD/SACD players to be user-friendly. Opinions, anyone?

Lastly, I'm leaning towards the receiver version of these models, rather than the pre-amp version, as they both cost the same (obviously the pre-amp only models put more build quality into their chassis & maybe a couple of extra proc. features,) but this way if my Rotel needs to be repaired, I could use the power amp in the receiver for my speakers, albeit not trying to achieve the same volume of sound. Does this sound reasonable, too, or is it significantly better to stay with a pre-amp only if $ & space are not considerations?

It sounds to me like you are grabbing at straws a bit, you really need to narrow down what your exact goal looks like and then find equipment that gets you to that point.

kelsci
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Have you looked at any 3-d HDTVs in any stores that can demonstrate 3D and see if you like the way they play. I do not like the idea of 3-D with exclusivity of certain films to a particular manufacturer.

You mention that the Sony receiver has analogue outputs. Does it have the inputs. You do not mention what kind of amp is going to power the two back channels since you have a 5 channel power amp. Can you use the back two channels of the Sony as an amp to do this concurrently if the reciever is fed the 7 channels from the BD player thru the 7.1 channel inputs.

What is the difference in price between a 3D-BD player and a 2D BD player with the 7.1 analogue outputs.

I think you have to sit down with a paper and pencil and figure alot out after you have seen a 3-D demo and see if it is worthwhile to delve into.

If you went the NAD route, does it have 7.1 inputs? If it is a good NAD, its amplification built into the receiver could be more than adequate for your needs without using a separate 5.1 power amp. If you do not use the poweramp, I might keep it around.just in case the poweramp section of the NAD ever gives you trouble. Perhaps you should look into the pre-amps that are out on the market that are 3-D capable if you are going that route to power the Rotel power amp. There are pre-amps that are also 2-D out there too. You would disband with the Sony receiver. This leaves you with figuring out what power you would need for the two rear sourround channels which would mean another stereo poweramp of some kind. That could add up to extra monies.

chalpin3
08-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks to both PeruvianSkies & kelsci for your initial replies. I need to focus my ?'s better & did not address all of kelsci's ?'s, but then who's clairvoyant? To reiterate, the Sony ES receiver DOES have TWO separate multichannel analog inputs, one for 5.1 & the other for 7.1 channels. I have not seen any pre-amp/pro or receiver currently out that has this feature! I did fail to add that besides having 7.1 ch pre-outs, this Sony receiver can also provide power for 7 speakers, i.e. the pair in the rear would be powered by the Sony while the other 5 speakers would be powered by the Rotel Amp. Those 5 speakers, again, are current-hungry electrostatic Martin-Logans with a 4 ohm nominal impedance. There is zero doubt in my mind that I'd use the Rotel to power them, not what's in virtually any receiver, unless the Rotel went "on the fritz."

I just did view a 55" Sony 3D HDTV w/the powered 3D glasses and am very impressed with what I saw, from portions of two 3D movies to sea animals to a college football game. There aren't that many Blu-ray players available w/7.1 channel pre-outs. The cost difference between 2D & 3D with 7.1ch analog out is under $100.

So in summary, I'm thinking of buying a 3D HDTV next & temporizing the need for a new pre-amp (& couple it with an extra stereo power amp for the rear 2 ch) or receiver (that could directly power the rear 2 ch) that has HDMI 1.4 built in by using the Sony ES receiver in the meantime. What I am asking of this forum group are 2 things: just ow important is XLR over RCA type interconnects between pre-amp & power amp, and what do you think of NAD's T775, with 100 watts/ch driven simultaneously as a back-up for my ML speakers? I believe that if one hasn't had any hands-on experience with the NAD T175 or T775, one's not in a position to answer my second question.
Thank you.