NAD 3150 worth fixing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD 3150 worth fixing?

phileserver39
08-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Howdy audioreview members. I have an NAD 3150 integrated amp which is having issues with the right channel coming in and out (very annoying!). As most of you know, this is an older amp from the late '80s. There is a guy on Ebay who will do an upgrade for between $250 and $300 including shipping. I liked the sound of this amp before it started having issues. The Ebay dude said that he can improve the bass and imaging of the amp. Would you guys spend the money? I do like collecting pieces and I think it would be cool to have in my collection. Thanks!

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't really want to offer my opinion here. I wouldn't want to taint yours.

All that is important is whether or not YOU feel it's worth it. You say you have a soft spot for it. If you can afford the cost, seems like you should see it through perhaps.

The real question is "can it be refurb'd for cheaper, and without having to ship it?" I would be proned to think the answer is yes.

frenchmon
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Sounds like not only is the guy going to fix it, but it sounds like he is going to mod it as well. IF I where you, I would ask the guy what kinda upgrade is he going to do. Some mods cost much more. Is he going to upgrade it to high end status?

The link below is for a company in St. Louis who will do some mods for much more. So if I where you I would ask him what upgrades he will do and then come back here and ask if its a good price. Sounds like a good price to me for upgrades but I never had anything upgraded. The guy may be looking for work...times are hard and he may need a buck.

There are some guys here who know about mods and upgrades and may be able to tell you if its worth it.

You can buy that same player today used for about $200-275 and thats without repair or upgrades.http://www.theaudiostudio.com/Used/used_receivers.htm

http://www.musicaldesign.com/

pixelthis
08-08-2010, 09:20 AM
You're getting ripped off, basically.
Doesnt matter how old, get in touch with NAD, They will tell you where you can send
this to be fixed, probably for less than 250 bucks. A local TV repair shop could probably have a go with it , sounds like something simple, like a short.
Amps are not that complicated, check a few discrete components with a meter, etc.
It could probably do with a refurb also, replace capacitors that are shot , stuff like that.
Wouldn't pay that much to fix such an old piece of gear, tho.:1:

kelsci
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I have owned some NAD equipment in the past. I see your location is somewhere in Ga. I would try to have it fixed as close to possible as to where you live. I really never like to deal with warranties and such afar. Even factory services can screw up an amp in repair if the tech's heads are in the clouds. Check your yellow pages in your area and/or try a google search for NAD repair within your area. I looked at pictures of this model on Google images and this is a fully equipped int. amp with certain features that might be useful and not found on current models. While any amp could be costly to repair, your problem is only in one channel and might be an easier repair. Might also be in the pre-amp section too and not the power amp section.

02audionoob
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
If you don't mind spending the money on it, I agree with the idea of a TV repair shop. I took my vintage receiver to one several years ago and they had no problems fixing me up.

phileserver39
08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks 02, I will do that! Rock on....