Center channel help...again.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center channel help...again....

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 10:49 AM
OK sorry fellas, I couldn't find the thread we started on this.

I have been gifted a nice rack for my H/T set up. It's much taller than my previous unit, with a perfect space underneath the TV for a center to sit.

The problem is, the bottom of my TV is NOT at eye level, more like center at eye level. Anyhow, I am hoping you guys can tell me if it's no good by using some measurements.

If I put the center below the TV, it would be 1' 5" from the floor. The bottom of the TV would be 2' 2" from the floor. Comparitively, the dustcap of my main's woofers are 2' 3", and the tweeters are 2' 9".

There would be nothing blocking the center's dispersion. It seems probably a little too low, but I'm sure it would work. I guess I'm wondering if there are any known negative effects from such an arrangement.

Possibly the world's smartest H/T man (:frown2:), Chubbs

E-Stat
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
If I put the center below the TV, it would be 1' 5" from the floor... and the tweeters are 2' 9".
According to Sir T, that falls right at the THX recommended maximum - 16 inches.

rw

bobsticks
08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
...but are your speakers 12 feet apart...remember WWMD?

bfalls
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I have two systems setup in my HT. I have the top of one center speaker sitting about three inches below the LCD TV, the other top about two inches below the first's bottom. They may not be perfect, but you wouldn't know listening to them. I'm almost willing to bet someone couldn't tell which is active. If it sounds good to you, who cares if it's perfect by the numbers. Set yours on a stand where it will be perfect to see the effect of the difference, if any and if you can live with it.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys. I am definitely going to try it out tonight. I am always curious about "textbook" methods. You're right bfalls, only the sound matters on this one. I'll let you guys know, and snap a pic.

poppachubby
08-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Got everything set up...sounds great! Thanks again.

pixelthis
08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Got everything set up...sounds great! Thanks again.

My folks have your TV, mounted on a custom stand that I had with a 32' once.
Question, do you use the "squeeze" when watching 16-9 material?
Great TV , btw.:1:

pixelthis
08-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Also Poppy, YOU probably already have, but an anchor on the back (a cable basically),
would be nice to keep the front heavy set from tipping over, just a FYI.:1:

poppachubby
08-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks pix. As far as an old school set goes, I like mine alot. Nothing can touch HD however. I use component output for my flicks, looks great, especially the kids cartoon movies.

I have 2 small kids so everything is anchored, but thanks for the tip.

The next video related step I must make is BluRay. I also want a super tough Pro.

kelsci
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
To me Poppa, you are doing everything quite fine to meet your needs. Component is the way to go on a set like you have. I have a 37 inch HD Toshiba. I have one older Pioneer dvd player hooked up to its component inputs. It may be 480i but you would not think so for the picture on most dvds are fantastic on this set. I have also seen 480i pics thru component on SD sets and other for the fact you have a more letterbox effect on wider screen films, the picture is quite good too.

poppachubby
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks kelsci, the H/T is a bit of a thorn in my side. I would love to upgrade all of it, but am not willing to spend the cash required. I am just not a videophile I guess.

My biggest issue is the musical ability of my Sony pro, or should I say inability. It truly is awful at 2 channel. I have tried several solutions (without actually buying anything new) and right now I am using my EICO HF 85 tubed preamp as a buffer. I just put in my Yamaha CDC 575 with this new rack.

So the Yammy feeds into the high level of the EICO, which in turn feeds into the Sony via Tape Out. It sounds fantastic, however this is frivolous use of my EICO. It's neat because the tape Out signal is not buffered, but variable. It's like being able to select how much tubiness you want.

Ultimately I need a machine like the Oppo which can do several things fairly well. Someday...

Oh BTW, I am enjoying the new location of my center. It looks better and I am finding quieter conversations and action to be more intelligable at reasonable volumes. This is using a proper 5.1 source, my copy of the Rolling Stone's Shine a Light.