Watching and specifically listening to DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Watching and specifically listening to DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

kelsci
08-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I had Encore HD on tonite and caught the last 45 minutes of DR. NO and watched FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE in its entirety. The broadcast watched was from Direct TV. DR NO was gorgeous in its picture quality with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE just a notch below. The channel said "RUSSIA" was in Dolby Digital but whether they were broadcasting 5.1 I do not know. They were at the very least broadcasting in two channel stereo. I saw "RUSSIA'' 47 years ago in the Glen Oaks Cinema in Glen Oaks, L.I., NY and have watched it here and there over the years on tv. I also had the orginal Laserdisc of the film that looked quite good too. Over a year ago I had Comcast and downloaded "RUSSIA" from their HD on demand channel. It was stunning but the one thing it did not have was a new stereo track. I do believe that I watched the Lowry restored version. I also knew and have caught on various channels stereo tracks of these original Bond movies like Goldfinger and such that were mono back in its day. Tonite I listened to "NO'' and ''RUSSIA'' with an outfit that is explained in the enclosed link.

If there were any films that ever deserved to be in stereo, it is the Bond films. If Lowry also did the rechanneled stereo sound they have done an outstanding job. If ever a film deserved stereo it was "RUSSIA". Both ''NO'' and RUSSIA'' stereo tracks over my headset were nothing short of outstanding with phenomenal directionallity. How Lowry pulled this off is beyond my comphrension of stereo sound from mono.

I have been listening over my headset to movies that had stereo soundtracks made in the 50s and 60s, some of which are quite good for their time(like the 1958-THE FLY). IMHO these rechanneled tracks on the Bond movies are much better made today than if they had used stereo recording back then. I say this because they handle the center channel dialogue and onscreen and offscreen stereo sound effects in a correct believeable listening manner. All I said to myself tonite in watching "RUSSIA'' that this film had the sound it so well deserved. That darn helicopter pusuing Bond was just fabuloso. So was the training scene at Specter. I do know that the Blue Ray discs have the new 5.1 soundtracks in high def audio. Must be tremendous.

http://kelsci3.blogspot.com/2010/06/fiio-e3-headphone-amp-marvelous.html

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I had Encore HD on tonite and caught the last 45 minutes of DR. NO and watched FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE in its entirety. The broadcast watched was from Direct TV. DR NO was gorgeous in its picture quality with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE just a notch below. The channel said "RUSSIA" was in Dolby Digital but whether they were broadcasting 5.1 I do not know. They were at the very least broadcasting in two channel stereo. I saw "RUSSIA'' 47 years ago in the Glen Oaks Cinema in Glen Oaks, L.I., NY and have watched it here and there over the years on tv. I also had the orginal Laserdisc of the film that looked quite good too. Over a year ago I had Comcast and downloaded "RUSSIA" from their HD on demand channel. It was stunning but the one thing it did not have was a new stereo track. I do believe that I watched the Lowry restored version. I also knew and have caught on various channels stereo tracks of these original Bond movies like Goldfinger and such that were mono back in its day. Tonite I listened to "NO'' and ''RUSSIA'' with an outfit that is explained in the enclosed link.

If there were any films that ever deserved to be in stereo, it is the Bond films. If Lowry also did the rechanneled stereo sound they have done an outstanding job. If ever a film deserved stereo it was "RUSSIA". Both ''NO'' and RUSSIA'' stereo tracks over my headset were nothing short of outstanding with phenomenal directionallity. How Lowry pulled this off is beyond my comphrension of stereo sound from mono.

I have been listening over my headset to movies that had stereo soundtracks made in the 50s and 60s, some of which are quite good for their time(like the 1958-THE FLY). IMHO these rechanneled tracks on the Bond movies are much better made today than if they had used stereo recording back then. I say this because they handle the center channel dialogue and onscreen and offscreen stereo sound effects in a correct believeable listening manner. All I said to myself tonite in watching "RUSSIA'' that this film had the sound it so well deserved. That darn helicopter pusuing Bond was just fabuloso. So was the training scene at Specter. I do know that the Blue Ray discs have the new 5.1 soundtracks in high def audio. Must be tremendous.

http://kelsci3.blogspot.com/2010/06/fiio-e3-headphone-amp-marvelous.html

Chase technologies does all of the mono to stereo re-mixing in Hollywood. If you have ever heard the sound of the movie "Duel" by Steven Spielberg, that is one great example of an excellent mono to stereo re-mix job.

The Blu rays of Russia I believe have a Dts HD Master Audio track.

kelsci
08-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Sir Terrance; I am familiar with Chase technologies. I know some years back that they were doing the mono to stereo remixes in 5 channel Dolby-Pro Logic. I did not see any credits for Chase on these movies; only for Lowry, but the credits did not state who did the mono to stereo conversion. The credits did state that Lowry is a DTS company so the question arrises at least to me; who is doing those stereo to mono remixes.

Duel is a great tv movie; perhaps one of the greatest ever done for a tv movie. It must be a hoot in a stereo remix. It is a movie that derserved that as well.

Yes, I do believe the Bond BDs are in DTS Master audio.