Songs that you only know the chorus lyrics? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Songs that you only know the chorus lyrics?

Snowbunny
08-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I can't hear this song without cranking it up as loud as possible. It never fails to make me happy!

I just looked up the lyrics for the first time and I can't believe they're correct!

See if you can guess the song... (NO GOOGLING)

Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio, he moved a million hearts in mono.
Our mothers cried and sang along and who'd blame them.
Now you're grown, so grown, now I must say more than ever.

And if Dusty ever showed up, he can't play!

Stone
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Come on Eileen.

Swish
08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
How are you Snowbuns?

Snowbunny
08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Come on Eileen.

Really? I know you're a man of your word and would never google this!

Can you sing along with the song?

I knew if I posted just this:

Go Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye

It would be a dead give-away!

Snowbunny
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
How are you Snowbuns?

Hey, Good Looking! I'm doing okay. Just don't seem to be having as much fun as I used to.

:17:

That's why I'm here...

There's some other Snowbunny making fun of you over on another thread. Just ignore her. :biggrin5:

Snowie

bobsticks
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Songs that you only know the chorus lyrics?

From reading the just the title my first thought was "The End of the World as We Know It" by REM.

Swish
08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey, Good Looking! I'm doing okay. Just don't seem to be having as much fun as I used to.

:17:

That's why I'm here...

There's some other Snowbunny making fun of you over on another thread. Just ignore her. :biggrin5:

Snowie

...seeing eye dog? ;)

As for that other character, I'll be sure to put her in her place.

Snowbunny
08-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Come on Eileen.

After listening carefully to the song on youtube, I have come to the conclusion that there is NO WAY that you could have deciphered those lyrics without reading the words as you listened to the song.

Not that I'm disputing your honesty, Stoner, just your ability to decipher the Irish brogue!

But then again, after all these years, it's just finally dawning on me that maybe your moniker is a derived from The Blarney Stone!

Suddenly, it all makes sense...

Snowie

Btw, were Dexy Midnight Runners - one hit wonders? I would love more music like Come On Eileen.

Stone
08-09-2010, 04:04 AM
After listening carefully to the song on youtube, I have come to the conclusion that there is NO WAY that you could have deciphered those lyrics without reading the words as you listened to the song.

Not that I'm disputing your honesty, Stoner, just your ability to decipher the Irish brogue!

But then again, after all these years, it's just finally dawning on me that maybe your moniker is a derived from The Blarney Stone!

Suddenly, it all makes sense...

Snowie

Btw, were Dexy Midnight Runners - one hit wonders? I would love more music like Come On Eileen.

Nah, I've just listened to the song enough to know many of the lyrics, especially the "Poor old Johnny Ray" part.

Oh, and yes they were one hit wonders, but don't overlook them. The album that "Come On Eilieen" is on, Too Rye Ay is a decent album, but their debut, Searching For the Young Soul Rebels, is really great and recommended. Maybe not quite as catchy as "Eileen" but a treat nonetheless. I also really like the later Don't Stand Me Down, but that album bears little resemblance to the catchy pop of "Eileen."

Swish
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
So there are no other songs offered that fit the category? I remember a comedian busting on Michael McDonald and one of his solo records, 'What a Fool Believes' I think is the title. If you listen to it, it's virtually impossible to understand what he's singing until he gets to...As he rises to his apology...or something like that. Even the chorus is unintelligible for the most part.

GMichael
08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I saw this band live back in the way back days. What a waste of time and money.

3LB
08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Speaking of 1982

there was some song called Pass The Dutchie(sp?) by some kid act, all I could ever decipher was "Pass de Dutchie on treh left-hand side"... hated that song

but yeah, Come On Eileen? how many other songs began with "poor old Johnny Ray" (see Smokie's thread)

guess this earworm from '93

"doesn't matter what I say, long as I sing with inflection"

bobsticks
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
You just won a breaded jalapeno...

Worf101
08-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I know this is gonna sound "conceited" but as a person paid to make music there are few songs that I don't know all the lyrics to. Only one song has consistently given me troubles over the years...

"Come Together" - The Beatles

It' non-sensical lyrics just gives me fits! Everytime I sing this song (The Neville Brothers version actually) I need an effin' lyric sheet. Embarrasing.

Worf

Snowbunny
08-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Nah, I've just listened to the song enough to know many of the lyrics, especially the "Poor old Johnny Ray" part.

Oh, and yes they were one hit wonders, but don't overlook them. The album that "Come On Eilieen" is on, Too Rye Ay is a decent album, but their debut, Searching For the Young Soul Rebels, is really great and recommended. Maybe not quite as catchy as "Eileen" but a treat nonetheless. I also really like the later Don't Stand Me Down, but that album bears little resemblance to the catchy pop of "Eileen."

Thanks, Stone. If you had to pick a band that sounds like Dexy's, who would you choose?

Snowbunny
08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
So there are no other songs offered that fit the category? I remember a comedian busting on Michael McDonald and one of his solo records, 'What a Fool Believes' I think is the title. If you listen to it, it's virtually impossible to understand what he's singing until he gets to...As he rises to his apology...or something like that. Even the chorus is unintelligible for the most part.

I remember that parody too, Swish! I looked for it on youtube but only found a slightly funny rendition of it featuring a guy and girl in their office cubicles.

There's so many ways you can go with the opening line, I keep forgetting...

Snowie

Snowbunny
08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I know this is gonna sound "conceited" but as a person paid to make music there are few songs that I don't know all the lyrics to. Only one song has consistently given me troubles over the years...

"Come Together" - The Beatles

It' non-sensical lyrics just gives me fits! Everytime I sing this song (The Neville Brothers version actually) I need an effin' lyric sheet. Embarrasing.

Worf

Hi there, Worf!

I'm not an entertainer, but it's odd that Come Together is one song I can actually remember word for word. As a kid, it was the first time I ever heard of toe-jam! Ick, I can't remember who explained what it was to me, but it wasn't a very pretty lyric for such a lovely song.

Snowie

Rae
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
This is probably cheating:

http://scalp.plaxmol.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/plastic-bertrand-singlehoes.jpg

~Rae