receiver for Jamo C 607 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver for Jamo C 607 speakers

lindalou
08-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi. I am thinking about buying Jamo C 607 speakers and am wondering what kind of receiver I need to go with them. I don't know much about this. How many watts? Can I use an older model receiver. Thank you for your help.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi and welcome to AR.

Are you wanting a stereo receiver or home theater? The C607 look to be easy to drive so an older receiver would be alright. If only wanting a 2-channel set up those speakers may even benefit from an integrated amp from NAD, Rotel or Adcom separates. What is the budget for the amp/receiver? In receivers higher current units from Onkyo or Harman Kardon are good, Yamaha is good sounding, excelling in midrange detail.

What type of music do you listen to?

lindalou
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi. Thank you for replying. I listen mostly to classical, especially Late Romantic and Impressionist composers. Also listen to some of just about every other kind of music, domestic or foreign, but mostly classical, and that is what I want the speakers to be good for.

Sorry to be so clueless, but what is an integrate amp (what is an amp, period) and what is 2-channel? I bought my first and only set of speakers 30 years ago when I went to college, and they came with the tape player and radio (and record player!). The tape player is gone, of course, replaced with a CD player.

I would really like to get something that will make the classical music utterly beautiful. I have a good ear, but don't know much about electronics.

My budget is--as low as possible, but to make the speakers worthwhile.

blackraven
08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Look at the Harmon Kardon 3390,3490 receivers. They have a nice warm sound and lots of features. They are very good budget 2ch receivers. Both have phono inputs if you have a vinyl record collection and I beleive the 3490 lets you hook up an Ipod, but you should check on that. They also have subwoofer and preamp out if you want to use the receiver as a preamp and buy a separate amp as an upgrade in the future.

A 2ch receiver or amp allows you only 2 speakers. A multi channel receiver, HT receiver or AVR have out puts for 5 or 7 speakers plus a sub woofer for Home Theater (HT) use with a TV.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198BOAM/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4341031781&ref=pd_sl_647868fjs4_e

Mr Peabody
08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
A receiver has the radio, a preamp section and amp section all in one box.

An integrated is just the preamp and power amp sections minus a radio and generally are geared toward higher sound quality.

Then you have separates where the preamp and power amp are separate. Since each piece is separate the manufacturer/designer has room for bigger power supplies, better circuit lay out etc. and generally higher quality.

As you consider price and brand there are always overlaps and exceptions to the quality part.

If you like Classical, in receivers I highly recommend staying with the Yamaha. If you don't care about radio NAD and Cambridge Audio have some budget integrated amps. In older receivers Harman Kardon built some of the best, if you go back to 70's Sansui and Luxman are also good choices.

Your source, CD player, is important as well. NAD also makes some receivers with built in CD player like the L54.

Have you listened to any other speakers? Dali is good. If Canton is in your area. I haven't heard that model of Jamo but models I have heard were decent. Are you in the U.S.?

In Classical I favor Baroque and like the Russian composers for larger orchestral pieces. There's much I haven't heard though. Theirs a couple of members who really know their Classical on the forums.

blackraven
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Another excellent option for a receiver would be the Outlaw Audio RR2150 but it will set you back about $700.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

But if you are on a budget, the Harmon Kardon recievers can't be beat. I prefer the sound over they Yammy's which sound sterile to me. But everyone has their likes and dislikes and all we can do is give you some brands to check out for yourself. I tend to like a warmer sound especially with budget equipment. The HK's have nice high current power supplies with 45 peak amps and will be fairly dynamic which is a must with classical music. There is more to dynamics than just power but I won't get into that for budget gear.

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

Mr Peabody
08-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Blackraven unless you've heard Yamaha recently you should reserve comment. I've never found Yamaha "sterile", I never thought I'd be in defense of them, however, a recent listen a Yamaha 2065 made a Pioneer Elite and an Onkyo 3007 sound pretty bad in comparison. Yamaha has consistently had an excellent midrange, my criticism of Yamaha's older gear the bass lacked definition and detail. If HK's stereo receivers are anything like their 80's and early 90's receivers I can agree that is a good option.

Yamaha, Rotel and NAD all have stereo receivers. The Onkyo 9555 would be an excellent option in an integrated amp, it's priced well and the amp got great reviews. The 9555 uses digital technology.

blackraven
08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Mr. P, we are comparing apples to oranges. That yammy lists for over $1200 and its an avr. It can be had for $700. The lower priced Yammy AVR's have not impressed me (my daughter has one). The HK sells for about $350. I have no doubt that the 2065 sounds good as it should for that price. I was just offering budget receivers since he said that his budget is as low as possible. If we are talking up to $1K range, I would go with emotiva separates or some of the cambridge audio gear.

I agree with you on the Onkyo 9555 but I don't think its made any more.

Mr Peabody
08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
My friend has a Yamaha receiver he bought last year and paid less than $400.00 for it, it is either the 367 or 467, coincidently he is using a Jamo HT package and his receiver sounds good as well. Yamaha typically has a very good midrange, better than most mass market receivers, the poster likes Classical, so the Yamaha would be a good option and they have a stereo receiver for $499.00 MSRP.

If buying used an Adcom pream and power amp around the same money would be an excellent set up.

lindalou
08-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful. I will be doing some research on these, as well as, I hope, some listening!