Marantz SA8004 - CD, SACD, USB/Optical/Coaxial DAC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz SA8004 - CD, SACD, USB/Optical/Coaxial DAC

Ajani
08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
OK here goes the player for someone really looking to hedge their bets on Digital formats:

The new Marantz SA8004 (successor to a line of outstanding $1K SACD/CD players from Marantz) costs the usual $1K but has some awesome new tricks up it's sleeve -

The usual CD and SACD are present. The front panel USB input that debuted on the SA8003 is also there (meaning you can play digital files off a USB memory stick/ hard drive). The new part is a rear USB (computer type) input as well as Optical and Coaxial inputs making it a DAC... Pretty sweet to get all that for $1K!!!!

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3223.asp#

pixelthis
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
DADDY like!
Doubling as a DAC is a smart move, considering the collapse of disc format sales lately.:1:

bobsticks
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
DADDY like!
Doubling as a DAC is a smart move, considering the collapse of disc format sales lately.:1:

Wow...

I really anticipated opening this thread to some comment in the vein of "my server is a PC" which is viable to an extent... I have a system set up that way too...

...but, there's something to be said for viewing audio as an artform, especially when that artform is accessible to the masses.

Marantz has done an excellent job of returning their lines to the forefront of audio/video relevance...pieces that are worth every cent that one might pay for them...and then some.

This daddy like too.

Ajani
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Yep... much respect due to Marantz for both regaining a lot of respect among owners and critics in the last decade and having some really incredible product lines... Marantz has arguably the most extensive range of electronics of any HiFi brand... Whether you are a poor college kid or a wealthy investment banker, you can find a Marantz product to fit your budget...

If the SA8004 had been around back when I purchased the Benchmark, I'm sure I'd have gone for the Marantz... It offers so much possibility... It would fulfill my music server duties + allow me to dabble in SACDs...

PeruvianSkies
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I am going to have to demo this unit as I had mentioned in my other post that I am in the market for a new machine, and I was thinking about another Marantz 2-channel dedicated CD/SACD machine, but this might be the way to go....

pixelthis
08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Wow...

I really anticipated opening this thread to some comment in the vein of "my server is a PC" which is viable to an extent... I have a system set up that way too...

...but, there's something to be said for viewing audio as an artform, especially when that artform is accessible to the masses.

Marantz has done an excellent job of returning their lines to the forefront of audio/video relevance...pieces that are worth every cent that one might pay for them...and then some.

This daddy like too.

Yeah, my computer is my audio "server", its just easier to play music that way, and this unit would make a great DAC.:1: