Need ideas part 2. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas part 2.

PeruvianSkies
08-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok everyone, I am back with a few updates and wanted some initial opinions on some gear....

Essentially by the end of 2010 I am planning on breaking off my HT and making a dedicated 2-channel system, that will be set up for a turntable and CD/SACD capabilities. Equipment-wise I have narrowed things down a little bit, but feel free to add comments or ideas as well, here is what I am thinking:

First, my HT is going to be converted from it's current form and I am going to swap out the speakers there with the PSB Synchrony line (fronts, center, rears, etc). I will continue to use the receiver to power the speakers and then down the line upgrade to a 5-channel amp, but not initially. However, I might drive the fronts with my current Parasound A21, not sure yet, I may sell it to help with my other project.

For the analogue portion and the CD/SACD area, my gear would consist of the following:

PSB Platinum T6's driven by either:

2 Parasound JC1 monoblocks and Parasound P3 preamp/ Parasound Z Pre Phono

Aragon 8008 BB Dual Mono power amp + Aragon 28K MKII Preamp

Classe CA2100 2-channel amp + Classe DR-5 preamp

As far as the CD/SACD is concerned, I am leaning towards one of the following:

Marantz SA 8003

NAD M 5 Master Series

Cambridge 840 C

In terms of the analogue gear, I am really leaning towards a VPI table in black with a JMW 10.5i tonearm.

Thoughts, concerns, questions?

jrhymeammo
08-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Essentially by the end of 2010 I am planning on breaking off my HT and making a dedicated 2-channel system, that will be set up for a turntable and CD/SACD capabilities. :thumbsup:

I've read great things about DR-5 and its phono stage, but most of reviewers say the sound is darker than most.

Which VPI are you looking at?

The whole synergy thing with the Parasound may be a good thing, but I would have to say the Z Pre Phono will be out of place in your system.

Don't skimp on a phono stage.
Think of a phono stage as the most critical amplifer in your system. You'll be requesting a phono stage to boost the signal a stylus picks up by over 1000x for LOMC. If you can buy a turntable and tonearm separately, then skimp on the turntable budge, but not on a phonostage, tonearm, or a cartridge.

BUT, if you have the upgratitus like most of us, then getting a Z-Pre Phono will allow you to appreciate what analog has to offer after you change to something better.
Just giving it to you straight.

Have Fun,
JRA

manlystanley
08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
First, my HT is going to be converted from it's current form and I am going to swap out the speakers there with the PSB Synchrony line (fronts, center, rears, etc).

I did an hour listen to the Synchrony fronts.... Very impressive. One nit, they seemed to be top heavy. That would be important if you had young kids around.

Best Regards,
Stan

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I did an hour listen to the Synchrony fronts.... Very impressive. One nit, they seemed to be top heavy. That would be important if you had young kids around.

Best Regards,
Stan

Stan...

Thank you. I actually had not thought much about that aspect as I do not have kids currently, but that could change in the next 5-10 years. There was a dealer about 30 miles from me that had the Synchrony setup in a really nice theater room, which is where I was able to really appreciate them and decide on them, although he went out of business a year ago, but I heard what I needed and I like the price-tag on those speakers. You really get a lot of speaker for a great price, so I am going to outfit my entire home theater room with that and extract the Platinums as they are still superior when it comes to the full-range.

bobsticks
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I've enjoyed the Parasound and Classe gears that I've heard but I never heard any Aragon equipment to draw a comparison.

I found Cambridge to be a bit tepid for my tastes though not the Marantz unit. I've not heard the NAD but it seems to be universally praised.

You'd be remiss if you didn't at least test drive a Krell SACD Standard. I did and it's quite a capable unit, one which I probably would still have if the sizzle of the Krell hadn't collided with laidback qualities of my Mac gear to form this uneasy lack of synergy. I did spend some time with the Standard in an all Krell system with some big Danes (the C4). I could've been quite happy with that system.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I've enjoyed the Parasound and Classe gears that I've heard but I never heard any Aragon equipment to draw a comparison.

I found Cambridge to be a bit tepid for my tastes though not the Marantz unit. I've not heard the NAD but it seems to be universally praised.

You'd be remiss if you didn't at least test drive a Krell SACD Standard. I did and it's quite a capable unit, one which I probably would still have if the sizzle of the Krell hadn't collided with laidback qualities of my Mac gear to form this uneasy lack of synergy. I did spend some time with the Standard in an all Krell system with some big Danes (the C4). I could've been quite happy with that system.

Yeah, I like the Krell gear, especially the Krell Evolution, but it's far out of my range right now with my budget. The other stuff is great too, even used, but still a bit pricy and I think the Marantz (for example) offers some of the same high-end capabilities at a fraction of the cost. Again, this system is subject to change and upgrades in time, which I am really set at some point in the next 5 years of looking into EMM labs or Goldmund.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Best Regards,
Stan

The dealer was driving the Synchrony's with a 5-channel NAD pre and power amp, I want to say it was the T955 or perhaps a slightly older model, but same idea. I liked the combination, we listed to the EAGLES HD-DVD from (Sydney?), it was phenomenal, very punchy speakers for sure, loved the surrounds too.

I had an NAD integrated before, it's a solid unit, but I liked the combination of Parasound instead, which is why I went that direction, but still prefer the Classe amps when it comes to really driving them.

frenchmon
08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
You've got a fine list of gear there PS. The most important thing I would suggest, and im sure you already know... is to set out to get good system synergy. Try and know the sound characteristics of each piece of gear and match accordingly. Im sure you know what sound you already want in a two channel.

And if I where you, I would also set out to get one brand of cable for every component and speaker in the system. Your cable then becomes one component in your system with a sound characteristic as well. Have fun, system shopping is always a blast.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
You've got a fine list of gear there PS. The most important thing I would suggest, and im sure you already know... is to set out to get good system synergy. Try and know the sound characteristics of each piece of gear and match accordingly. Im sure you know what sound you already want in a two channel.

And if I where you, I would also set out to get one brand of cable for every component and speaker in the system. Your cable then becomes one component in your system with a sound characteristic as well. Have fun, system shopping is always a blast.

Thanks Frenchmon....

I have lots of testing to do before I make final purchases, this is just my initial lineup of contenders and items that I am familiar with and familiar with how they integrate based on several listening tests and demos, but I am always open to checking out new things as well, of course budget always interferes, but long-term goals can be achieved, even if it's in steps.

As far as cables are concerned, I have been happy with the White Zombie Audio cables that I had made a few years back and will probably go that route again, although I also like Acoustic Zen and AudioQuest.

Got any other ideas for cables?

frenchmon
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Frenchmon....

I have lots of testing to do before I make final purchases, this is just my initial lineup of contenders and items that I am familiar with and familiar with how they integrate based on several listening tests and demos, but I am always open to checking out new things as well, of course budget always interferes, but long-term goals can be achieved, even if it's in steps.

As far as cables are concerned, I have been happy with the White Zombie Audio cables that I had made a few years back and will probably go that route again, although I also like Acoustic Zen and AudioQuest.

Got any other ideas for cables?

Hey man....drop the captial F in my handle...aint no need in gettin proper. We all boys here.

I've heard good things about the Zombies....I even ran across a few reviews where they had a shoot out with one of my favorites...Analysis Plus. Not a bad choice to go back with them....one of the better cables I heard in a brief shoot out was MrP's Siltech Cables. HE has the MXT Profesional Series. They walked on my A+, but it was not a fair fight...the Siltech where a few steps up the latter than my A+. I think they have a very good high extention...but P can tell you more about them...he listens to them everyday. Warning though they aint cheap and you find lots of fakes....that aught to tell you something about them.

PeruvianSkies
08-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey man....drop the captial F in my handle...aint no need in gettin proper. We all boys here.

I've heard good things about the Zombies....I even ran across a few reviews where they had a shoot out with one of my favorites...Analysis Plus. Not a bad choice to go back with them....one of the better cables I heard in a brief shoot out was MrP's Siltech Cables. HE has the MXT Profesional Series. They walked on my A+, but it was not a fair fight...the Siltech where a few steps up the latter than my A+. I think they have a very good high extention...but P can tell you more about them...he listens to them everyday. Warning though they aint cheap and you find lots of fakes....that aught to tell you something about them.

A few years ago I bought a pair of interconnects from White Zombie on a wim. Never heard of them, knew nothing about them, but I wanted to try the whole "silver" thing out. I contacted them and got a quick response back from the owner of the company who was very polite and said that he would send me a custom length pair at a 50% discount and would do the same if I decided that I liked them enough to outfit my entire setup. I couldn't resist the offer, so I installed the first set he sent me and was immediately impressed...

Upon arrival (which was very fast delivery) I was amazed at the craftsmanship that went into not just the cables themselves, but the packaging and all that went with them. I could immediately tell that this was a company that was passionate about their product and knew they had a good thing going for themselves. After replacing them into my system with the locking system, I was quickly impressed with their delivery and knew that the next step would be replacing everything to take things up to the next level, so later that day I placed an order to outfit all my analog connections for SACD, plus the subwoofer cable at a custom length, plus the digital coax, all of which were given at a great discount and arrived in a speedy fashion. This time though I went with the higher-end Nosferatu and they were a great fit all around in my setup, I am quite pleased and content with these cables, they are also designed to bend easily to get to and around difficult places, which is why I liked them over the BetterCables, Acoustic Zen, Miova, PS Audio, AudioQuest, Cobalt Cables, and various other brands that I tested out.