Lookin to buy some speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lookin to buy some speakers

Rafiki
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, as the title would have you believe, i'm trying to find some speakers to put in my room.And I would definitley consider myself a newb when it comes to buying speakers, but hey, I just love listening to music and want to find the best possible way to do it.

Ideally, I'm looking for something that sounds good and smooth that doesn't have to have a specific comfort zone beyond which it starts to throw out some distortion and fuzz. Also, I plan on being able to plug my ipod into it rather than cd's or whatever else. Price wise I'm hoping to spend around $150 but no more than $200. As a comparison i'm looking for something pretty much like the Sony 360 watt Mini Shelf System that my brother uses, but I was just wondering if you have any recommendations for something more suitable in the same price range, seeing as you people seem to know a whole lot more than me on the subject.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mr Peabody
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
If you are just going to use your mp3 player you will get better performance from a pair of amplified speakers by the likes of Audio Engine or M-Audio. If wanting radio and CD etc. A shelf system may be your best bet, just don't expect too much.

Most mp3 players can be connected using a mini plug to Y adaptor into an AUX input. You might also consider buying a used receiver and speakers from thrift stores or Craigslist. Almost any set up like that will blow away a shelf system, especially in the price you are shopping in.

Rafiki
08-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Well I've been thinking about it a bit more and I think rather than something just for my Ipod i'd rather be able to get something I could hook up to my laptop instead because that gives me a bigger range of use for them. So do you think those recommendations would still apply or should I look for something else for a different purpose?

blackraven
08-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes!!!!!!

Rafiki
08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I see lol. Well i've done some basic google searches and they've brought me to the M-audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers and the Audioengine 2 Pc multimedia speakers. Strictly look wise I like the M-Audio speakers but haven't been able to actually hear either one. Would one normally be considered definitively better or is it really just preference?

Mr Peabody
08-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I bought the small Audio Engine for my daughter, I can't remember their model but it was the littel $199.00 set with a 3" driver. The reviews were good but I was a bit hesitant with such a small driver. The reviews are right, the speakers are really good. Sound quality is excellent but you may find yourself wanting more power if you like it loud or have a large room. I haven't heard the M-Audio. If you did buy the AE you might be able to save up and add their sub in the future. These little jewels require some break in time, I was a bit disappointed with them out of the box, wondering why the high price and what the fuss was about, I turned the Media Player on repeat and let the speakers play about 24 hours and it made a world of difference. M-Audio I believe is more of a Pro Sound product so you may be able to buy from a retailer who would allow a 30 return if wanting to check them out. Just make sure no restocking fee is charged.