Translenco a very un-lenco - lenco :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Translenco a very un-lenco - lenco :)

basite
08-02-2010, 11:31 AM
A sneak preview:

I told you that I'd post some updates of my DIY turntable :)

Here are some teasers for the almost finished product

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4854331486_ca408567fb_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4854331708_81c7fe0533_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4853715063_db45032370_b.jpg

almost finished, because the "inner top plate" is not completely done yet...

Now I use a piece of 1mm aluminium sheet that I found somewhere, that is used as a top plate, to hold the bearing and hold other innards, such as the speed change slider thing (more on that later). The 1 mm alu will be replaced by a 4mm copper sheet, with all the holes and things routed out by a craftsman, and will form a very stable top plate for the turntable.

as you've probably already noticed, it is very brown, and differs slightly from the prototype translenco. It has grown with one more layer of birch ply. top plate has been lowered into the plinth though, it's lowered by about 9mm in the plinth, with only a fine edge so it's not visible from the side (this took a damn lot of routing)
there are vibrapods under the feet, as opposed to the cork bits with the prototype. The vibrapods do their job really well so far, I tried jumping up and down next to the rack and nothing.

My previous rega arm is taken off duty for the moment. and since I'm still a bit unhappy about it, it'll stay in it's box for a little while, probably going to repair it sooner or later, but shiny metal arms look much better on this anyway.

The rega was replaced by a new Jelco SA750 D. At the moment the only thing that comes to my mind is "why hadn't I bought this arm in the first place?". It's finish is at the very least WAY better than the rega, it's a pleasure to use, (it actually works too), they even provide you with all the tools necessary to take it apart if you care to. The sound is very nice, based on first impressions, even the denon DL-304 seems to like it alot :). And as a plus, it looks absolutely fantastic with the turntable.

I just finished setting her up (well, one tonearm already...), about 20 minutes ago...
First record played (after well over a month without any vinyl (!!!)), was Kenny Burrell's - Midnight blue, on an original japanese pressing.

The first impressions were GOOD, Very good in fact, full bodied, not edgy, no rumble, nice bottom end, and a very "alive" sound. I am a happy camper :D.
I really wonder how it's going to be when the copper arrives (somewhere this or next week).

that's it for now, I'm back off, listening.

This is going to be one late evening/early morning :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
We all know I'm not much of an analog character but I appreciate skill and devotion in any undertaking...that is simple badassery...awesome job Bert. That looks better than most non-DIY tables I see.

Cheers to you and I hope you get to enjoy your efforts fully.

basite
08-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you bobs :)

well, there are some tiny minor flaws in the finish, but I think it looks good too :) and she sounds even better!

I'm enjoying her at this very moment, with a johnny guitar watson album :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Duuuuuuuuuude. So sweet. How much to build one for me? Is there alot of variance between the 2 arms?

basite
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Duuuuuuuuuude. So sweet. How much to build one for me? Is there alot of variance between the 2 arms?

I'd love to build you one, but shipping 100+ pounds to the other side of the ocean might turn out a helluva lot more expensive than either of us would want :D

there is less difference between the SME and the jelco than there is between the SME and the Rega arm, the SME and the jelco are both more musical, and more "coherhent", maybe a tad "softer" sounding too, while the rega is slightly faster, but not as musical and dare I say it, less detailed than the Jelco.

Overall, I think the Jelco even beats the "godfather" SME 3012, being just as musical, but more refined...

I have to say it, to all DIY turntable builders, or to those that like to mod their tt's with a new arm, the Jelco is a true bargain.

I'll write a longer review when I have more time, and have listened to it longer :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Very impressive. I would love to hear it but will have to wait until you begin to market them and start your career in audio manufacturing.

basite
08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Very impressive. I would love to hear it but will have to wait until you begin to market them and start your career in audio manufacturing.

I think that you coming over to antwerp to hear it is even more likely than me putting it in "production", that said, I do mod/rebuild/build from scratch lenco's on request...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

harley .guy07
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
very very nice. Even though you mentioned that there are flaws in it to me it looks like one of those exotic tables that you would only see at a show or in a showroom that only .0001% of the people in the world could even try to afford. But I like the duel tonearms and just the overall look of it. It looks like its built more solid than most I have seen in production so I bet the price class for this table would be high.

frenchmon
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Boyeee! You got mad skills. Nice. Cant wait for your final review. Maybe you should think about going into the business.

jrhymeammo
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

audio amateur
08-12-2010, 03:17 AM
How much do ya charge? :D

JoeE SP9
08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Thank you for doing such a nice job on my new TT. I'll expect it to come by UPS around the middle of next week. Don't forget to double box it.:p

That's really nice work. I'm in awe.:thumbsup:

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Thank you for doing such a nice job on my new TT. I'll expect it to come by UPS around the middle of next week. Don't forget to double box it.:p

That's really nice work. I'm in awe.:thumbsup:

:nono: Oh no you don't. He clearly said Chubby.

jrhymeammo
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
:nono: Oh no you don't. He clearly said Chubby.
Shut up poppa, Joe had the first dibs.
BTW, Joe is going to be out of town this week so send it to Lexington, KY... PM me for exact addy.

poppachubby
08-12-2010, 06:57 PM
OK how about a time sharing situation? We'll keep it at my place and you guys can swing by for your share.

If Bert was really our friend he would travel with it, to each of our homes.

audio amateur
08-14-2010, 05:24 AM
If Bert was really our friend he would travel with it, to each of our homes.
Loool!