Buildng a Budget Home Theatre System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buildng a Budget Home Theatre System

Hal
08-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I am trying to build a budget home theatre system. I raised this issue in a thread back in January, but now I am actually in the purchase mode.

DVD Player
In months past, I started a discussion on Play Station 3 v DVD players. The consensus was for PS3. Alas, Blue-Ray DVD players are cheaper, so I purchased a Panasonic Blue-Ray DVD player, model BD-85P-K. So far it is working well. It streams movies and plays DVD/CDs very nicely.

A-V Receiver
Now I am looking for a receiver. I have owed a Yamaha RX-V480 for about twenty years and I am still pleased with it. So I am thinking about another Yamaha. Either the RX-V367 or V467. I don't know if the V467 is worth the extra $100. Your thoughts on either of these units or on something comparable?

TV
I bought a Sharp model Number LC-32D44U about a year or two ago. It's a 32 inch screen and I've been pleased with it. But, frankly, I just want a bigger screen, so I'm thinking about a 42 inch set. Should I stick with Sharp? Some say Samsung is just as good. The one thing I don't like about the tv is the pause when changing channels. When moving from one to another it takes longer than it did on the old televisions. Do all LCD televisions have this issue? The TV is probably a few months away since the receiver is next on the purchase list.

Speakers
I have had two Boston Acoustics VR-950 floor standing for years. I'll probably just add a center and two rear speakers and, truth be told, will probably go with the least expensive I can.

Your thoughts on all of this? Thank you!

Mr Peabody
08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
The 467 is probably worth the extra money, I need to look up the feature set. The Yamaha is a good choice. When my friend bought his Yamaha I believe he has the 300 series it didn't include video upconversion. The 400 series did. The importance of upconversion is if you plan to use any video source that is non-HDMI it needs to be converted to pass via HDMI from the receiver to TV. The gain my not be noticeable in sound but in features.

Center channel; you have the option of going without a center and using a "phantom center" setting. This actually would be better than using a cheezy center. The center channel carries most dialog and much on screen sound content, it is NOT a place to skimp. It is unlikely you will find a center to timbre match your mains. You could contact Boston to see what they recommend in their line to match closest. I recommend a center with at least a 5.25" driver. A center will most likely have two 5.25" drivers with a tweeter between them.

Samsung is a great TV. I believe they have been leading the way in the application of
240 Hz and use of LED. I read an article saying the claim of the sets truly being LED is false but Samsung and Sony uses LED the most effectively. Panasonic, to match your BDP would be a good option as well, and the Sharp is alright too. Sharp started out strong and probably is still good but seems to be getting overshadowed a bit these days by Samsung.

Hal
08-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the feedback. As I get closer to purchasing I'll check back in. Any alternatives to the Yamaha receiver? Have there been any major improvements on the current tv I have that I should look out for?

Mr Peabody
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I like the Onkyo amp section but recently for sound quality I have been sold on Yamaha. in my opinion It beat Onkyo and Pioneer Elite in some listening I was able to do. Also my friend's Yamaha performs very well. You haven't been here long so don't realize recommending Yamaha receivers is like a 180 for me, I didn't have much respect for their performance in the past, not that they were bad, I just considered them middle of the road, better than the likes of Pioneer or Sony but not quite as good as the rest, this last listening I did was a real ear opener . Here's some good info when comparing the 367 & 467, definitely get the 467 it has the decoding for the HD Audio formats available from Blu-ray. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v467-fl

In TV's it's just the couple of things I mentioned already, 240 Hz and whether you want LED technology, and now the big 3D feature, all of which add to the price tag. You can scratch 3D if your new Panasonic isn't 3D capable.

HD Audio formats are Dolby Tru-HD & DTS-MA which are supposed to be bit for bit equal to the original movie master. Much better than the audio from DVD. DVD audio was compressed to save disc space.

PeruvianSkies
08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I like the Onkyo amp section but recently for sound quality I have been sold on Yamaha. in my opinion It beat Onkyo and Pioneer Elite in some listening I was able to do. Also my friend's Yamaha performs very well. You haven't been here long so don't realize recommending Yamaha receivers is like a 180 for me, I didn't have much respect for their performance in the past, not that they were bad, I just considered them middle of the road, better than the likes of Pioneer or Sony but not quite as good as the rest, this last listening I did was a real ear opener . Here's some good info when comparing the 367 & 467, definitely get the 467 it has the decoding for the HD Audio formats available from Blu-ray. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v467-fl

In TV's it's just the couple of things I mentioned already, 240 Hz and whether you want LED technology, and now the big 3D feature, all of which add to the price tag. You can scratch 3D if your new Panasonic isn't 3D capable.

HD Audio formats are Dolby Tru-HD & DTS-MA which are supposed to be bit for bit equal to the original movie master. Much better than the audio from DVD. DVD audio was compressed to save disc space.

Great information!

The original poster should pay attention to Mr. P on this as he brings great wisdom and experience on this.

PeruvianSkies
08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I do have a question for the original poster on this, do you ever plan on upgrading this system in time? If so, any idea on when and what the goal would be?

HT is one of the worst hobbies to begin without a clear goal in mind because you will only end up spending more money over things that result in more regret than anything else. If you have a very clear goal from the beginning and aim at that in logical steps (along with wise advice from many of us who have "been there, done that") you will find yourself saving time, money, energy and with great results in the end, regardless of budget.

While budget can limit the equipment that can be obtained, it doesn't necessarily correlate with the fun that this hobby can bring on various levels.

Hal
08-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I have had HT systems in my younger days. Nothing too fancy. Now, my goal is just to have a very basic system. Frankly, now that I have the Blue-Ray DVD and am looking to get an A/V receiver with additional speakers, that is my goal. Maybe a larger TV. Then, my goal will be to wait and see what develops over the next few years. Not too lofty, but there it is.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I have had HT systems in my younger days. Nothing too fancy. Now, my goal is just to have a very basic system. Frankly, now that I have the Blue-Ray DVD and am looking to get an A/V receiver with additional speakers, that is my goal. Maybe a larger TV. Then, my goal will be to wait and see what develops over the next few years. Not too lofty, but there it is.

This doesn't tell us diddly squat.

Ok, so you've had HT systems in your younger days... so that means we are building from scratch again, are you going to use any of the equipment that you mentioned from your original post?

A very basic system? Which means what?

What is the total budget? What is the long-term goal?

Hal
08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Well I wrote a reply and it posted twice then deleted both. Oh well. Let me see if I can reconstruct it.

I am sorry if I was too vague. I purchased the DVD player referenced in the opening post. I will purchase one of the Yamaha receivers discussed in that post as well. Then I hope to obtain a larger TV and some speakers to complete the 5.1 system. Hopefully all this can be done for around $1,500.

For now, that is my long-term goal.