Recent Rentals and Viewings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Viewings

Worf101
07-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Time to "catch up" once more.

"City Island" - B+ - As I said before a brilliant little movie made on lunch money that almost gets it perfect if they could've avoided the sappy ending.

"The Blind Side" - C+ - Based on a true story sure, too sweet, too easy too pat, too hollywood. Sad year of Oscar when Sandra Bullock wins for this thing.

"Gojira" - B+ - This is the original UNCUT Japanese version sans ole Stoneface Raymond Burr. No bad dubbing, no stupid editing to put someone into a film they weren't part of in the first place. As for "The King of the Monsters"? Well in this one he's no cutesy wootsey parody playing with baseball cap wearing Japanese kids. No, this Godzilla is a walking, stalking, city destroying behemoth with radioactive breath. Here you see burned and radioactive children, dead and dying parents, people burned alive and trampled on. When you hear those footsteps and hear that uneartlhly roar the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Wow what a film debut!!!

"The Book of Eli - C - As postApoc movies go this one kinda sucks. Meandering plot, so so villain, annoying girl, and questionable religious ending left me flat. I want those 2 hours back!!!!

"The Greatest" - C - Not to be confused with the Muhammed Ali Biopic of the same name. This film is like "Ordinary People" meets "Juno" without the best parts of each. Pierce Brosnan produces and acts and he and Susan Sarandon try mightly to lift this film above it's tepid script. Rent it only if you need to score points with the wife.

"The SkyCrawlers" - C-Minus - Excellent Anime wasted on a so so story about genetic engineered clone teenagers drafted to fight a never ending war so that humans don't forget what war is like and start a real one. You're as detached emotionally from this one as the characters are but the visuals are stunning!

"The Crazies" - B- Minus - Better than average Grade B govt. made zombie movie. A great popcorn muncher that easily rises above other's of it's fraternity. You could do much worse.

"Law Abiding Citizen - C+ - Jamie Fox is getting on my nerves. I didn't like this flick that much and thought that as revenge flicks go it was way too contrived. Keeps you guessing for a while I suppose. Rent something else before this one. I personally wanted Fox's character and his whole annoying family blown up real good.

"Shutter Island" - C+ - NOT vintage Scorsese. I guessed this one a mile off and found it neither riveting nor surprising. Some folks swear by this flick but not me. To each his or her own however.

"The Young Victoria" - B-Minus - This tells the story of the acension of Queen Victoria to the throne of England, her trials, tribulations, loves and mistakes. Well acted and beautifully filmed. Another one to score you points with the missus.

"The Road" - B - A well made and thoroughly depressing film based on an excellent novel. Easily the most realistic (if I can say that) postApoc movie ever made. The thin veneer of civilization doesn't last long in this one.

"The Messenger" - B - Woody Harrelson is on a roll. He stars in this excellent small film about the men and women who are charged with "brinnging the bad news" when a loved one is killed in action. Well acted, well filmed and well written.

"An Education" - A-Minus - Wow, and double wow. Supposedly based ona true story you just can't tear your eyes away from this trainwreck. Much like "Damage" from a decade ago, this one paints a pretty un-flattering picture of some aspect of middle class English life. One brutal film.

"Zombieland" - A-Minus - Like I said Woody's on a helluva roll. This is a great zombie flick, right up there with "Shawn of the Dead" and '28 Days Later". You must learn the rules of Zombieland, number one Cardio!!!! I was laughin' and cringin' all at the same time. GREAT cameo by Bill Murray.

"The Red Baron" - C-minus - If you know anything about Richtofen or the air war in WWI, avoid this wooden tripe like the plauge. Believe it or not I found "Flyboys" infinately more entertaining. Save your money, I'm a military historian and I fell asleep on this sucker.

"Kinky Boots" - B-minus - Interesting and entertaining story of a dying shoe factory that tries to save itself by re-inventing themselves as makers or "specialty boots" for drag queens. Laugh out loud funny and quite poignant at times.

"Moon" - B - As stated earlier, a wonderful little film that explores question of love, loss, memory and what constitutes "life". Excellent film.

"Daybreakers" - B-minus - Better than average vampire flick. Interesting premise, what if, in a quest for power and ever lasting life, most of the worlds population had turned vamp? How long would we, as a food supply, last? Set up for a sequel.

Well I'll try not to wait so long next time.

Worf

Kam
08-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Doh, Book of Eli just got here from Netflix... well might as well pop it in.

Law Abiding Citizen had a ton of potential but then the morality of the movie just turned on itself at the end. I've forgotten the intricacies (or lack thereof) on the moral compass of the movie, but i remember liking it until the last third or, and definitely at the point of the city-meeting scene, he shoulda had a bigger thermite bomb. i was rooting for clive owen much in the same way i was rooting for the T-Rex and 'Raptors to kill everyone in Lost World.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh Worf, we agree on the few films that we have both seen.

The Book of Eli C-- was just plain boring to me. It was so boring that the grapes and wheat thins went before half of the movie was over. I started drinking cosmopolitans just to get to the end. I am giving this movie away to my best friend....happily!

Kinky Boots-B+--I am not sure how I purchased this movie, as I don't remember requesting it from my buyer. I thought this movie was an absolutely hoot, and was a total pleasure to watch.

Moon B--I really liked this movie, it was quite well done in my opinion. Really thought provoking and a pleasure to watch.

Sherlock Holmes D-- I am just going to say this....."hated it!" I does not get an around the world and back snap!

Inkheart B- This movie is not really a great movie, but it did exactly what it was supposed to - it entertained me for its entire presentation.

PeruvianSkies
08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Doh, Book of Eli just got here from Netflix... well might as well pop it in.

Law Abiding Citizen had a ton of potential but then the morality of the movie just turned on itself at the end. I've forgotten the intricacies (or lack thereof) on the moral compass of the movie, but i remember liking it until the last third or, and definitely at the point of the city-meeting scene, he shoulda had a bigger thermite bomb. i was rooting for clive owen much in the same way i was rooting for the T-Rex and 'Raptors to kill everyone in Lost World.

Clive Owen....Whhhhaaaaa? You mean Gerard Butler?

thekid
08-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Saw "Shutter Island" with the kids this weekend and we all hated the fact that it was just a manipulated story line. My kids did come up with the idea though that it would have been a better movie had Leonardo thought he was Queen Victoria and ran around the whole time in drag. LMAO as the kids traded dialogue back and forth -We were quite amused...... Perhaps Scorsese can remake this in a couple of years....... :D

Worf101
08-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Saw "Shutter Island" with the kids this weekend and we all hated the fact that it was just a manipulated story line. My kids did come up with the idea though that it would have been a better movie had Leonardo thought he was Queen Victoria and ran around the whole time in drag. LMAO as the kids traded dialogue back and forth -We were quite amused...... Perhaps Scorsese can remake this in a couple of years....... :D
Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!! Absolutely effin' brilliant... The image sprung into my mind so fast after reading this I laughed so hard my sides were achin'. Stop it man you're killing me...

Worf

Kam
08-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Clive Owen....Whhhhaaaaa? You mean Gerard Butler?

doh! yes, gerard. i had just watched The International and had clive on the brain.