receiver and system questions (newbie!) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver and system questions (newbie!)

hyperyoda
07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
So far I have an old Technics SL-PG300 CD player, Polk Audio PSW 10 powered subwoofer and Polk Audio Monitor 30 pair of bookshelf speakers so all I need is a turntable and receiver.

My sole interest is listening to classical music so I don't care about video and other types of input sources.

I keep reading that if you buy a turntable (LP player) you need a dedicated pre-amp. If I buy a receiver like this one can I just plug a turntable into the PHONO IN or do I need a separate pre-amp for it?

BTW I am thinking of getting the Harman Kardon HK 3390 as my receiver. Do you think this is a good receiver for classical music? My price range is $200 to $250 so this just fits in there.

I had a couple other questions:

Some receivers advertise a "trigger" for a direct connection to the subwoofer, what exactly is this and what type of cable will I need for that? Is the performance better than using regular RCA cable?

Also if I use regular RCA cable to connect CD player to the receiver is that sufficient for really nice sound when listening to classical music or would I need to make sure the receiver has an optical input and if I do that what type of cable would I need?

Overall do you think my system will be nice? If I wanted to upgrade in the future what is a good set of entry level audiophile floor standing speakers (and is it true if I get such speakers they can deliver the bass well enough such that I no longer need a subwoofer?) and what is a better CD player I could get? I don't care about multi-discs. I actually prefer single disc CD players.

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to be on these forums.
Zach

dakatabg
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Regarding the turntable question, you don't have to buy a preamp, you just plug it in where phono input is and you will be all set.

hyperyoda
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Regarding the turntable question, you don't have to buy a preamp, you just plug it in where phono input is and you will be all set.

Cool, thanks man.

Mr Peabody
07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
So far I have an old Technics SL-PG300 CD player, Polk Audio PSW 10 powered subwoofer and Polk Audio Monitor 30 pair of bookshelf speakers so all I need is a turntable and receiver.

My sole interest is listening to classical music so I don't care about video and other types of input sources.

I keep reading that if you buy a turntable (LP player) you need a dedicated pre-amp. If I buy a receiver like this one can I just plug a turntable into the PHONO IN or do I need a separate pre-amp for it?

BTW I am thinking of getting the Harman Kardon HK 3390 as my receiver. Do you think this is a good receiver for classical music? My price range is $200 to $250 so this just fits in there.

* In your price, yes.

I had a couple other questions:

Some receivers advertise a "trigger" for a direct connection to the subwoofer, what exactly is this and what type of cable will I need for that? Is the performance better than using regular RCA cable?

* I've only seen subs have either speaker connections or RCA input, never a trigger input. Several models of subs have an "auto turn on" which would make a trigger unnecessary.

Also if I use regular RCA cable to connect CD player to the receiver is that sufficient for really nice sound when listening to classical music or would I need to make sure the receiver has an optical input and if I do that what type of cable would I need?

* You would use RCA from CDP to receiver. In order to have an optical or coaxial connection the receiver would have to have a built in DAC. Most do not have a DAC unless it's a HT receiver or an expensive one like the Music Hall. If you did use a optical or coaxial digital, you use an optical or coaxial digital cable. When using analog RCA the decoding is done in the CDP. Some of the Technics CDP's sounded pretty good. On a budget you should look at Yamaha, NAD, Marantz or Cambridge. Another option if the Technics has a digital output is to buy an external DAC. I don't know of many cheap ones. A used Arcam would be very sweet.

Overall do you think my system will be nice? If I wanted to upgrade in the future what is a good set of entry level audiophile floor standing speakers (and is it true if I get such speakers they can deliver the bass well enough such that I no longer need a subwoofer?) and what is a better CD player I could get? I don't care about multi-discs. I actually prefer single disc CD players.

* "nice" is subjective and budget constrictive, if you enjoy it then it's nice. If you like your Polk you can look into their floorstanding speakers. You didn't mention a budget. You might also look at Wharfdale or Jamo. Probably a bit more money brands like Epos, Energy, Paradigm or B&W

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to be on these forums.
Zach

Mr Peabody
07-31-2010, 04:55 AM
In case, anyone read the deleted post, unless something has changed recently or a special TV the optical out is ONLY 2-channel from a TV.

scyfydog
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
RCA cables will work fine for you CD player. just use a good brand and not the cheap ones. Dayton RCA cables sold by Parts-Express are very nice! If you want a little cleaner sound then Optical Cables are a better way to go. Again there are cheap ones, inbetween ones and the expensive ones. Settle for at least middle of the road!

Mr Peabody
08-02-2010, 04:06 PM
RCA cables will work fine for you CD player. just use a good brand and not the cheap ones. Dayton RCA cables sold by Parts-Express are very nice! If you want a little cleaner sound then Optical Cables are a better way to go. Again there are cheap ones, inbetween ones and the expensive ones. Settle for at least middle of the road!

That's basically not correct. When using analog cables the signal is decoded inside the CD player by it's DAC. When using an optical or coaxial connection the signal leaving the CD player is still digital and will be decoded by the DAC inside the receiver. The latter would not be an option unless of course the receiver had a DAC and digital inputs. The best sound will depend on the quality of each unit, which has the better DAC and analog circuits to conduct the signal wonce converted.