Album Cover Art Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Album Cover Art Thread

MasterCylinder
07-28-2010, 04:40 AM
"For a while, there was a true 'marriage' of two very distinct and different media -- art and music. In their heyday, LP covers were an outlet for experimentation, art, fun, social comment, and the power of the visual image to sell you the music that was contained therein. It's over I guess. The 'cover' of a CD is about 14% of the size of a record album; the artwork on the cassette box is just 7% as big. That's barely enough space to put the name of the artist, much less some breathtaking or unusual artwork."__Bill Walsh

Post your favorite album art with explanatory comment...............

dean_martin
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Here are a couple of early lounge music classics. The covers set the mood for the music inside. Some of the covers from this genre, like Space Escapades, often make "worst album covers" lists, but I find that most of them are fun, imaginative and theme-oriented to fit the music.

dean_martin
07-28-2010, 08:13 AM
nekkid is good (may be not safe for work)

dean_martin
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Francis Wolff's Blue Note photography often resulted in great album covers.

MasterCylinder
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Here are a couple of early lounge music classics. The covers set the mood for the music inside. Some of the covers from this genre, like Space Escapades, often make "worst album covers" lists, but I find that most of them are fun, imaginative and theme-oriented to fit the music.

WOW.............I've got that Martin Denny record too !
Got to go find that and relearn it.

Troy
07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I like these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostamerica/sets/72157594204123124/

Davey
07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/Another_Green_World.jpg

I've always been a big Brian Eno fan, and always been a fan of the album covers that use real art to their advantage, something I think Another Green World excels at even moreso that some of his other covers. This image has remained linked to the music in my mind, and conveys some of the gentle and serene nature of this record. A real departure for Eno at the time, and I think most of us missed the playful rockouts on the debut, and on Tiger Mountain. This could probably be pointed to as the ambient transition album, for better or worse, depending on which side of Eno you like best. And I do tend to like those crazy stream-of-consciousness-fueled guitar-driven spastic rockers the best, but in later years I've grown to love the pastoral feelings that his ambient music often evokes. In fact, On Land may be my most played Eno collection in the last decade, but this one would be right up there too.

The cover art is a small section of the painting by his art teacher Tom Phillips, called After Rafael, itself an exercise based on an old Renaissance painting attributed to Rafael, plotted out using a grid based on the "golden ratio" (you can still see the spiderweb of lines in the image above).