Also need some 2 channel advice. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Also need some 2 channel advice.

Swish
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm in the early planning stages of building my new HT room as we just moved back in January. My Rotel Processor, 5 channel and 2 channel Adcom amps, along with the 7 Paradigm speakers and sub will be staying there. I'm buying a projector and building a screen, so my plasma TV and DVD player will be going upstairs to my living room.

What I need like is a 2 channel receiver, or possibly an integrated amp, that has at the very least 2 component inputs (TV and DVD), but I would prefer if it had HDMI as well (or is that overkill?. I will likely be buying a friend's pair of Ohm Walsh 2s that he's parting with, or buying another pair of decent speakers for it.

This area won't be for critical listening, but I certainly want it to sound good. Much of the time will be spend watching TV and movies, as well as casual listening to cds. I'd like to keep this under $400 if possible and would appreciate any advice as I haven't purchased anything of this sort for years.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
You probably won't find anything in 2-channel with HDMI. If wanting the HDMI and for good sound I'd recommend a Yamaha receiver in your price range. I recently listened to some receivers and speakers at Magnolia. They had a big Onkyo 3007 which I naturally asked to hear first, then a Pioneer Elite and then Frenchmon wanted to hear the Yamaha which was the 2065, much to my surprise the Yamaha had a much better midrange over the other two. I found it much more musical. I think the key is using Yamaha's "Direct" mode. I was at a friend's house over the weekend he wanted me to hear his Yamaha. I forget the model but it was like a $300.00 model. At first it was like I expected not so great then all the sudden the sound improved dramatically. I asked what did he do, his wife hit the "direct" mode. Never thought I'd be recommending Yamaha as my first choice but I try to be true to what I experience. The 2065 brought out the snare and instruments quite a bit better than the other two. Of course, there's no telling what the other two had the settings on. But the two experiences I've had recently at least showed me the Yamaha can sound really good. I was pretty impressed my friend's budget receiver and Jamo package sounded as good as it did.

kexodusc
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Yamaha totally redesigned their platforms a few years back that really took some of the edge and brightness off what they used to sound like. I don't find they have as much bass authority as maybe Denon or Onkyo, but they aren't quite as dull in the mids as I find those brands.

Swish, why not pass the video straight to the TV and run analog audio to an integrated if music quality is preferred? Do you really need video pass through in the amp?

frenchmon
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Yamaha totally redesigned their platforms a few years back that really took some of the edge and brightness off what they used to sound like. I don't find they have as much bass authority as maybe Denon or Onkyo, but they aren't quite as dull in the mids as I find those brands.

Swish, why not pass the video straight to the TV and run analog audio to an integrated if music quality is preferred? Do you really need video pass through in the amp?

What you said about yammies is exactly what I discovered when I listen to a Yammie and Onkyo last week at Magnolia.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
The bass on the Yamaha 2065 wasn't bad either, the bass line was very good driving the Martin Logan, Motion 12. The M12 was also a pretty impressive speaker at $1500.00

Swish
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM

...hence my 'Is that overkill' comment in my original post. I was checking around and there are basically no 2 channel rigs that have it anyway. I guess I'm going to have to find one with at least 2 component video inputs.

Yamaha eh? I'll have to see what they offer and go from there, but I thought the Onkyos were pretty decent too.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I like the Onkyo's high current amp but in the recent listen between the three mentioned the Onkyo didn't compare so well in overall sound. It may have been some setting or DSP that caused the issue but only speculation. Yamaha and Onkyo are easy to find give them a listen and let me know what you think.

Some of the NAD all-in-one products have video output but I don't think a video in. You might check the L54.

I think you will have to make your choice, HT to get video switching or go direct and get a true 2-channel. There are auto video switch boxes if that would help anything.

Swish
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm leaning toward the Yamaha RX-497 and found one on e-bay for 268.90 with no tax and free shipping. Sweet!

Mr Peabody
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
That looks like a good receiver. Before pulling the trigger you might want to check to see if the receiver has video upconversion to allow lower rez video to pass via HDMI. If that's of importance. Anything coming in via HDMI would be fine but if using a VCR or something other than HDMI the signal would have to be converted in order to pass out of the receiver via HDMI. Running two video outputs from receiver could fix the issue as well, one HDMI and one not HDMI to TV. Hope that didn't confuse the issue. I checked but couldn't find you an answer quickly. It does show the 497 has discrete amp section and 4 ohm capable, if this ends up being your baby be sure to post back with impressions.