Need some 2 Channel Advice and recommendations. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some 2 Channel Advice and recommendations.

Worf101
07-27-2010, 05:07 AM
One of my dearest friends, Randy (he's a Federal Judge so watch yer language) has a 25 year old 2 channel system and is looking to upgrade.

What he has:
Kyocera 2 channel amp from back in the day.
2 large advents that seem to have held up.
Old Sony CD Player that's dying.
Turntable.

What he's looking for:
A new 2 channel receiver.
New CDP.
Possibly speakers if they don't play nice with the new gear:

The Room to be filled is square about 15 by 15.

What I advised:
1. I asked to look at the listening space.
2. If possible get Kyrocera repaired get a new CD player and carry on.
3. If #2 is out of the question, look into separates or a good integrated 2 channel. and see how it sounds with the Advents in the listening space.
4. If the Advents do not play nice with the equipment then look at getting new speaks.

Budget:
Well he ain't broke but he ain't swimmin in dough either. Depends on if he has to get speaks but the receivers he was looking at were in the $380.00 range.

My Questions to you folks are:
1. Am I on the right track?
2. He's NOT an audiophile so inegrated vs. separates.
3. What integrateds do you recommend? He's heard both Yammie and Marantz at the local B&M stores.
4. What mid level separates would you recommend? I was thinking Arcam or NAD.
5. He listened to Kef's and B&W's in the store. He likes Kef's.

Any advice would be welcome.

Worf

Feanor
07-27-2010, 08:43 AM
One of my dearest friends, Randy (he's a Federal Judge so watch yer language) has a 25 year old 2 channel system and is looking to upgrade.

What he has:
Kyocera 2 channel amp from back in the day.
2 large advents that seem to have held up.
Old Sony CD Player that's dying.
Turntable.

What he's looking for:
A new 2 channel receiver.
New CDP.
Possibly speakers if they don't play nice with the new gear:

The Room to be filled is square about 15 by 15.

What I advised:
1. I asked to look at the listening space.
2. If possible get Kyrocera repaired get a new CD player and carry on.
3. If #2 is out of the question, look into separates or a good integrated 2 channel. and see how it sounds with the Advents in the listening space.
4. If the Advents do not play nice with the equipment then look at getting new speaks.

Budget:
Well he ain't broke but he ain't swimmin in dough either. Depends on if he has to get speaks but the receivers he was looking at were in the $380.00 range.

My Questions to you folks are:
1. Am I on the right track?
2. He's NOT an audiophile so inegrated vs. separates.
3. What integrateds do you recommend? He's heard both Yammie and Marantz at the local B&M stores.
4. What mid level separates would you recommend? I was thinking Arcam or NAD.
5. He listened to Kef's and B&W's in the store. He likes Kef's.

Any advice would be welcome.

Worf
Your advice is excellent, Worfster. I think a lot of us audio enthusiasts/audiophile tend to get carried away when giving advice to normal people.

Since we're talking 2 channel and if he doesn't listen to much radio, an integrated amp might do. In any case if I were looking for either a stereo receiver or amp, I would look for (1) a built-in DAC, and (2) some bass-management capability -- at the very least volume-controlled L+R Line Out but perferably including comlementary low- and high-pass filters. Even these migh exceed his requirements, though.

frenchmon
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
1) Well I think you gave great advice.

2) As Feanor said...if no radio or home theater...suggest a integrated amp

3) I would recommend a Marantz PM5003 that can be had for $329.http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARPM5003/Marantz/Pm5003-Integrated-Amplifier/1.html

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1364/h300w260m50ef2d000d610c.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/h300w260m50ef2d000d610c.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

4) Does he mind used gear? What about the budget? how much more is he willing to spend over $380? But I would recommend the Rotels and Adcoms and NAD's. Arcam may be a bit more pricey.

5) IF he likes Kefs they have a tendency to be a bit bright in the smaller models with beaming. Do you know which Kefs? System matching might be important if he listens to a lot of music...don't want him to get worn out from a brighter tweeter and if goes with that little single driver with the 5.25 inch aluminum driver, the Kef IQ 10 or one of those simular, he may need a sub. IF he goes with one of the small models, I would for sure go with a more warmer integrated like the PM5003....or somet amp warmer in tones

yuanmu
07-27-2010, 10:04 AM
hi, is it good?

frenchmon
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
hi, is it good?

IF your speaking of the Marantz....Yes its good. Gives a more warmer sound, a not edgy or harsh... not over the top on the tweeters...will have a more laid back but not boring sound while be very enjoyable and pleasant.

luvtolisten
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Good advice Worf. I think with the Advents, which have a warm sound to start with, you may want to go with the Marantz or Yammie. NAD or HK (3490) might make them too warm. I friend of mine bought this Marantz, and he's happy with it over a year ago. It's an older model, (doesn't have the latest HDMI upconverting).
It also has built in DAC (as Feanor suggested) which would upgrade the sound of his Sony CD player.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4002/Marantz/Sr4002-Receiver-80w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Home-Theater-Surround/1.html

Your friend seems to be older gent, who also may enjoy convenience as well (as I am and do), is his CD player a changer as well? If so I'd recommend the Marantz CC 4001. I have it and have been happy with it. These items can all be bought at the same website listed above, they are refurbs (as mine was) but I've had no problems and the price was reasonable.

thekid
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Worf

I'd say given your friends budget and overall approach to audio (not too fussy or complicated) that I'd go with an integrated amp rather than separates.

The Marantz I think would be a very good choice and close to his budget. I'd also leave the Advents in place for several reasons he is already familiar with their sound and and with the budget he is on your are not going to find a better all around speaker that can produce nice highs and significant bass. The KEF's are fine for the upper end but they will not be able to match the Advents on the low end. With the money saved on speakers he can match up the Marantz amp with a Marantz CD5003 for another $300 and for another $100 or so even get a Sony HD Tuner.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Worf, I too think you are on the right track. I would be afraid if he didn't get his existing amp fixed he may be disappointed in a receiver. To add to possible options don't forget NAD has some good budget integrated amps, you might even consider something like the L54 with built in CD since he needs that as well. I have to admit though not the simplest unit with the on screen and large remote. I bought one for my mom, she is technically challenged to say the least, I wish I could rewind that decision :) The L54 sounds great with the Forte's though.

Worf101
07-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks folks. You're aces. We may be a small community but we look out for one another and pick each other up when in need. You've answered all my questions and we, Da Judge and I, will probably go out tomorrow evening and do some more listening. I'll sound him out about B&M versus online. He's leaning local cause he wants to have someone to yell at (besides me) if things go wrong. One thing I advised wholeheartedly was that he buy a new CDP and request an IN-HOME trial of any receiver so that he can hear FIRST HAND how the new gear works with his old Advents. I think either of the local B&M's would be foolish not to grant this request. Once again, thanks for the love.

Worf

Mr Peabody
07-28-2010, 05:28 AM
B&M usually at the minimum allow a 30 day return window. If listening to receivers give one to Yamaha. Recent listening experiences have convinced me they now do a good job on sound quality, be sure the "direct" mode is engaged for best 2-channel experience.

pixelthis
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Kyrocera was an okay brand, but not worth fixing.
Outlaws retro looking receiver is nice, as is the two channel receivers that Denon and Yamaha put out.
One of them and a 125 wpc EMOTIVA wouldnt cost much over five c-notes.
THE Advents are classics, need to be hung onto if at all possible, and just about any CD
player will do.:1: