Lee Ritenour and the ECM label [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Ritenour and the ECM label

poppachubby
07-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Two subjects here...

First of all, are there any Ritenour fans here? I have found a motherload of his LPs locally, all in great shape. I don't know where to start, or which ones might be duds. I see that Laboriel plays bass on a couple of sets, so that's a start for me I suppose. Lee Ritenour looks like such a cheese puff on the back covers, it's almost enough to make you put it back on the shelf.

Secondly, I have been digging the ECM label lately. Wondering if anyone has any faves on this label.

02audionoob
07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Being a Wes Montgomery fan, myself, I was interested to hear Lee's Wes Bound. I have it on CD around here somewhere.

frenchmon
07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Two subjects here...

First of all, are there any Ritenour fans here? I have found a motherload of his LPs locally, all in great shape. I don't know where to start, or which ones might be duds. I see that Laboriel plays bass on a couple of sets, so that's a start for me I suppose. Lee Ritenour looks like such a cheese puff on the back covers, it's almost enough to make you put it back on the shelf.

Secondly, I have been digging the ECM label lately. Wondering if anyone has any faves on this label.

Ritenour is ok....we use to say he is a sweet jazz artist.

As Far as ECM....I remember all my favorite artist use to be with them back in the mid 70's to late 80's when I was really into vinyl as a youngster. I think they where a fairly new and young label back then in the mid 70's. Pat Metheny use to be with them dont know if he still is....but man I had a bunch of favorites that I use to like from that label....Pat of course, Charlie Haden, Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, The Breaker Brothers, John Ambercrombie, Ralph Towner, Herbie Hancock, oh man I could go on and on Pops. There have been a many artist that came through and still use that label....Keith Jarret, Gato Barbara, Jan Hammer, the list goes on...oh and they all are my favorites...Paul winter...Bill Higgins the great drummer, Roy Hanes another great drummer...Pops is this label new to you, because im sure the artist are not?

And there was another new label that sprung up during that late 70's that had a bunch of artist I use to just love...the label was Windham Hill Records and it was started by a guitarist named William Ackerman. He is an acoustic guitarist. The label did some jazz but there big thing was New Age..very good stuff Pops...if you find any on that label, get it and try out some new age stuff...it aint bad.

poppachubby
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
No it's not new. I have slowly and coincidentally acquired ECM LP's. I am now thinking I would like to pursue them, regardless of artist. The pressings are second to none and always sound great. I picked this up for 4 bucks, still sealed if you can believe it. The artist is Manfred Schoof, aldum is Scales. Never heard of him and bought it for the label. It's a great LP, I can't take it off the table.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4823565490_8b73328881.jpg

Hyfi
07-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I have lots of LR, from older thru GRP. The first CD I ever bought was the GRP All Stars Live in Japan.