blu ray with HDMI and non hdmi receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : blu ray with HDMI and non hdmi receiver

sundarvarad
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi all,
I have pioneer 5.1 home receiver with no HDMI invites. I recently got a blu ray player and LCD HDTV with HDMI inputs. currently my receiver and blu player are connected and the video output goes via receiver (using regularRCA cables). Now If I get an HDMI cable and connect directly from bluray to the receiver, will I get HDTV output?

Please advise..

Mr Peabody
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
You want to take your video output from the Blu-ray directly to your LCD via HDMI. You want to run either an optical or coaxial audio connection to the receiver for 5.1 surround. If the Blu-ray has multichannel analog out and your receiver has multichannel analog in, then you could also use that audio connection.

I thought you said your receiver didn't have HDMI, so how would you connect HDMI to it? HD video can pass via component video up to 1080i, your best result will be going from Blu-ray direct to TV until upgrading your receiver.

Geoffcin
07-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Some earlier Pioneer recievers have HDMI video but no audio decoding via HDMI. If this is the case you want to skip the recievers HDMI input entirely and run the HDMI directly into your TV. You can either run the digital 5.1 audio stream into your reciever via an RCA or Toslink optical from your BR player.

Note; You will not be able to take advantage of the higher quality codecs like DTS-HD Master Audio, or Dolby TrueHD unless your BR player has internal decoding and mulitple channel output.

sundarvarad
07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Thank you for your response..

Mr Peabody:Sorry I meant connecting from bluray hdmi input to TV..

Also, please advise that currently I m only having regular digitial cable for TV. Do I need to subscribe to HDTV cable in order to get better quality picture. Now the picture looks bit blur and lack sharpness.. My older CRT tv was better.

please advise.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes, in order to see HD content from cable you will have to subscribe to HD programming and have a HD box. Until then you could play with the resolution settings on the TV to see which looks better. Of course, for Blu you want 1080p.

recoveryone
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, in order to see HD content from cable you will have to subscribe to HD programming and have a HD box. Until then you could play with the resolution settings on the TV to see which looks better. Of course, for Blu you want 1080p.

Depending on the Cable Company, you may or may not need "HD box" for most hardwire compines the HD content is free (Time Warner), and if your TV has a built in HD tuner you may not even need a box.

sundarvarad
07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply.. just to give you an update. Watched 2 movies in bluray over the weekend and the picture looks fantastic. I have ordered for hdmi cables and its on its way. Will I get more clarity if I connect from bluray to my LCD TV..

Also I dont have times warner cable.. We only have comcast /Direct tv in our area.

Thanks

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes, the HDMI from Blu-ray to LCD will allow the full 1080p resolution of Blu-ray to be displayed. I believe you stated earlier your LCD was 1080p capable.

bfalls
07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone for your reply.. just to give you an update. Watched 2 movies in bluray over the weekend and the picture looks fantastic. I have ordered for hdmi cables and its on its way. Will I get more clarity if I connect from bluray to my LCD TV..

Also I dont have times warner cable.. We only have comcast /Direct tv in our area.

Thanks

In some areas HDTV is available OTA. If you're in a larger city with multiple TV stations you may be able to get HDTV using an antennae.

amarmistry
11-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I am also in same boat here. I have a Harman Kardon 7.1 channel non-HDMI receiver AVR 335. This link has a picture of rear panel of the receiver http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/AVR335-3.jpg

I am planning to get a Blu Ray player and short listed two (Panasonic http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/panasonic-dmp-bd85-review/ ) or (Sony http://bluray-players.net/sony/sony-bdp-s770-review/ )

Which one of these two BluRay will give me a better Audio connectivity to my receiver? Should I use optical audio from my BluRay to my receiver or use analog audio? I will connect BluRay directly to my Projector using HDMI for video.

Thank you for looking.

Mr Peabody
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Best choice in your case is multichannel analog but you'd have to find a Blu-ray player that still offered the multichannel analog out. This will allow the decoding to happen in the BDP so you can enjoy the HD audio formats such as Dolby Tru-HD and DTS-MA (Master Audio) These are said to be bit for bit the same as the original master soundtrack. You will most likely have to set the speaker settings using the BDP in this situation as well. It may be simpler to go to the next option.

Next, if that's not available use either coaxial or optical digital connection.

Do not use the L/R analog, it will not allow for a true 5.1 or 7.1 surround. The best you'll get is Pro Logic II.

amarmistry
11-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Thank you Mr Peabody for your response. I am sorry I am still learning here... so could you please tell me looking at the above links(pic of rear panels for BluRay I am planning to buy and my current receiver), which BluRay would give me better audio connection to my receiver? And which connection in the receiver should I utilize?

Thank you again.

Amar

Tarheel_
11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
I am also in same boat here. I have a Harman Kardon 7.1 channel non-HDMI receiver AVR 335. This link has a picture of rear panel of the receiver http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/AVR335-3.jpg

I am planning to get a Blu Ray player and short listed two (Panasonic http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/panasonic-dmp-bd85-review/ ) or (Sony http://bluray-players.net/sony/sony-bdp-s770-review/ )

Which one of these two BluRay will give me a better Audio connectivity to my receiver? Should I use optical audio from my BluRay to my receiver or use analog audio? I will connect BluRay directly to my Projector using HDMI for video.

Thank you for looking.

Glad you are here learning about the hobby.

I also have a HK receiver (non HDMI) and blu ray.

this is what you need:
Purchase a blu-ray player with 7.1 analog pre-outs on the back of the player. Check out the rear of a Samsung C6500 blu-ray ( I own this model). In the back right, you will see all these outputs bundled together (total).
Next, you will need audio cables (monoprice.com). You just need stereo cables (red & white ones).
You connect the blu-ray player analog outs to the 'multi-inputs' on the rear of the HK receiver.
Next, look at your HK manual and use the 5.1 multi input and adjust your speaker size and levels using your HK menu. This way, the HK receiver will handle all the adjustments without you doing anything in the blu-ray.
Connect the HDMI cable from blu-ray directly to your tv.

pixelthis
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Glad you are here learning about the hobby.

I also have a HK receiver (non HDMI) and blu ray.

this is what you need:
Purchase a blu-ray player with 7.1 analog pre-outs on the back of the player. Check out the rear of a Samsung C6500 blu-ray ( I own this model). In the back right, you will see all these outputs bundled together (total).
Next, you will need audio cables (monoprice.com). You just need stereo cables (red & white ones).
You connect the blu-ray player analog outs to the 'multi-inputs' on the rear of the HK receiver.
Next, look at your HK manual and use the 5.1 multi input and adjust your speaker size and levels using your HK menu. This way, the HK receiver will handle all the adjustments without you doing anything in the blu-ray.
Connect the HDMI cable from blu-ray directly to your tv.

And don't forget the part where he has to hurry, as they are phasing out this connection along with other analog connections.
Don't think any of the 2011 models will have it. On my last trip to walfart they had five models, and none of them had it. STEREO (white and red) or nothing.:1:

amarmistry
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Tarheel_ and Pixelthis.
I am going to make a purchase this week-end (or before) itself. So lets see how it goes. My Projector arrives tomorrow and then time to make BluRay purchase. What remains to be seen (or hear) is how my HK receiver and packaged speakers perform in my basement (no dedicated home theater room).

Can not wait!

Poultrygeist
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
My Panny BD80 has the 7.1 analog outputs and I have it connected to a non-HDMI 7.1 Panny xr-55 via short RCA cables from Monoprice.

amarmistry
11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
I am actually thinking of getting Panny BD85 or Samsung 6500. Both have 7.1 analog output, but the on in Panny is not all grouped together where as in Samsung it is. Not that it is a problem for Panny anyway.

pixelthis
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Its a working solution, worked fine on my old receiver, and later on my new receiver.
But guess what? THEY ARE PHASING 7.1 OUT on new receivers as well as
BLU players. Analog in and outs have been given the death sentence.:1:

Tarheel_
11-24-2010, 05:20 AM
I am actually thinking of getting Panny BD85 or Samsung 6500. Both have 7.1 analog output, but the on in Panny is not all grouped together where as in Samsung it is. Not that it is a problem for Panny anyway.

I vote for the Samsung 6500. I cannot recommend this player enough. Since July, it has performed flawlessly. Wish the remote had backlighting, but most don't.

pixelthis
11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I vote for the Samsung 6500. I cannot recommend this player enough. Since July, it has performed flawlessly. Wish the remote had backlighting, but most don't.

JULY?
Get back to me in a couple of years. MOST STUFF breaks in the first three months,
if its going to, hence the 90 day warrenty, so you are pretty much outta the woods(almost).
NOW , I have had a SAMSUNG UPCONVERTER DVD for over four years, still works great.
Don't use it much tho, mostly SACD. SAMSUNG is very reliable, but a few months
isnt enough to tell, all I AM SAYING.:1:

amarmistry
11-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Good reading so far, Thanks everyone.

Well, I have never used any Samsung a/v products so far. And for 15 years I have always had my TVs by Panasonic and never once it disappointed me. However, my latest video equipment (which I got yesterday) is an Epson HomeCinema 8700UB projector.

Talking about that, I connected my regular DVD player to the projector via my receiver's Component video cables, the Projector info shows the resolution as 480i but picture stilled looked very good. I just wonder, how good it'd be once I hook up the Blu Ray player and use Blu Ray discs. Can not wait.
Sound was carried via optical cable from DVD to Recevier and onto 5.1 channel speakers and was very satisfying. About pixelthis' comment on industry phasing out 7.1 channel from receivers.... may be the new optical connection/hdmi might carry higher bandwidth decoding capability of new Dolby True-HD and DTA-MA. Just guessing, not an expert by any means in this area. Best Buy sales person showed me this new optical cable by Monster Cable which according to him carries wider bandwidth (indicated on box). Well, I'd still stick to analog audio, yet to see how it sounds compared to my optical.

Mostly I will end up buying Panny BD85, which to me would be a solidly build product with 7.1 analog audio and an SD card slot, but I am still confused as to if it has built-in WiFi or not. Still researching, found mixed info on the net so far. Who knows, I might end up getting Samsung, not sure yet.

pixelthis
11-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Good reading so far, Thanks everyone.

Well, I have never used any Samsung a/v products so far. And for 15 years I have always had my TVs by Panasonic and never once it disappointed me. However, my latest video equipment (which I got yesterday) is an Epson HomeCinema 8700UB projector.

Talking about that, I connected my regular DVD player to the projector via my receiver's Component video cables, the Projector info shows the resolution as 480i but picture stilled looked very good. I just wonder, how good it'd be once I hook up the Blu Ray player and use Blu Ray discs. Can not wait.
Sound was carried via optical cable from DVD to Recevier and onto 5.1 channel speakers and was very satisfying. About pixelthis' comment on industry phasing out 7.1 channel from receivers.... may be the new optical connection/hdmi might carry higher bandwidth decoding capability of new Dolby True-HD and DTA-MA. Just guessing, not an expert by any means in this area. Best Buy sales person showed me this new optical cable by Monster Cable which according to him carries wider bandwidth (indicated on box). Well, I'd still stick to analog audio, yet to see how it sounds compared to my optical.

Mostly I will end up buying Panny BD85, which to me would be a solidly build product with 7.1 analog audio and an SD card slot, but I am still confused as to if it has built-in WiFi or not. Still researching, found mixed info on the net so far. Who knows, I might end up getting Samsung, not sure yet.

Well, good luck.
Unless it has special features you can toss or give away the DVD player, BLU players
are the boss of upconversion, most look about as good as a BLU disc on a BLU player,
they are very good with DVD titles.
AND there is no optical connection that will carry the new lossless formats, you need either HDMI or the new CAT based stuff. Clueless Best Buy numbskulls strike again!
TELL em it will convert toilet water into JACK daniels, just sell it. HDMI or 7.1 analog
is all you need. And congrats on your new projector, sounds nice.:1:

amarmistry
11-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you pixelthis.

Toilet water to Jack Daniels... LOL

I was so looking forward to nailing down Samsung C6500 this morning on Black Friday sale, but stumbled upon this unbelievable price on Panny DMP-BD85 on Panasonic's website last night, so went ahead and ordered it. So much for hooking it up to my proj this week-end... oh well, I'd have to wait..... So anyone looking to get a decent Blu Ray, check out Panasonic's website. You won't be disappointed, its even lower than amazon.

pixelthis
11-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Thank you pixelthis.

Toilet water to Jack Daniels... LOL

I was so looking forward to nailing down Samsung C6500 this morning on Black Friday sale, but stumbled upon this unbelievable price on Panny DMP-BD85 on Panasonic's website last night, so went ahead and ordered it. So much for hooking it up to my proj this week-end... oh well, I'd have to wait..... So anyone looking to get a decent Blu Ray, check out Panasonic's website. You won't be disappointed, its even lower than amazon.

Glad you found something that works for you. Wait untiul you see and hear it!
BLU is it as far as PQ goes.:1:

amarmistry
12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Got few questions:

1. So lets assume I only have an HDMI Player like Blu Ray and an HDMI TV (no receiver or external speakers at all), I'd connect one HDMI cable from Blu Ray to my TV and I am done. In this case HDMI will carry all audio and video.

2. So now lets say if I add an HDMI receiver and surround speaker to the above setup. I'd connect HDMI Blu Ray to the receiver and send video output to my TV via HDMI and 5.1 channel surroud audio to external speakers using individual speaker cables. So, in this case what will happen to the HDMI that is going into TV? Will it also carry audio signal and still play thru the TV speakers?

3. Now if I replace the TV in above case (2) with a projector (with no built-in speakers), I'd still connect the HDMI from receiver to the projector and 5.1 channel surround audio going to the external speakers using individual speaker cables, what will happen to the audio signal going into projector via HDMI?

4. To complicate this further, if I had non-HDMI receiver in the above case (3) and if I connect the Blu Ray directly to projector via an HDMI cable for video and 5.1 channel audio from Blu Ray to receiver and and then from receiver on to the external speakers using individual speaker cables, what will happen to the audio signal going into projector via HDMI directly from Blu Ray?

I am sorry but I am just trying to understand the audio and video signal distributions. are the HDMI devices smart enough to process the audio video signal correcltly? i.e. in case 4 and 5 aboove, is the HDMI in to projector configured (physically or via firm-ware) to not accept/process the audio signal? Will there be any "harm" done to the projector per se?

Mr Peabody
12-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Got few questions:

1. So lets assume I only have an HDMI Player like Blu Ray and an HDMI TV (no receiver or external speakers at all), I'd connect one HDMI cable from Blu Ray to my TV and I am done. In this case HDMI will carry all audio and video.

This is correct

2. So now lets say if I add an HDMI receiver and surround speaker to the above setup. I'd connect HDMI Blu Ray to the receiver and send video output to my TV via HDMI and 5.1 channel surroud audio to external speakers using individual speaker cables. So, in this case what will happen to the HDMI that is going into TV? Will it also carry audio signal and still play thru the TV speakers?

Yes. Some TV's you will have to turn volume all the way down, others have an option in the set up to turn the TV speakers off. Some brands I'm not familiar with may even have other ways of dealing with it.

3. Now if I replace the TV in above case (2) with a projector (with no built-in speakers), I'd still connect the HDMI from receiver to the projector and 5.1 channel surround audio going to the external speakers using individual speaker cables, what will happen to the audio signal going into projector via HDMI?

Not sure, I assume it just dead ends.

4. To complicate this further, if I had non-HDMI receiver in the above case (3) and if I connect the Blu Ray directly to projector via an HDMI cable for video and 5.1 channel audio from Blu Ray to receiver and and then from receiver on to the external speakers using individual speaker cables, what will happen to the audio signal going into projector via HDMI directly from Blu Ray?

same as above answer.

I am sorry but I am just trying to understand the audio and video signal distributions. are the HDMI devices smart enough to process the audio video signal correcltly? i.e. in case 4 and 5 aboove, is the HDMI in to projector configured (physically or via firm-ware) to not accept/process the audio signal? Will there be any "harm" done to the projector per se?

Rest assured the audio and video signals inside the HDMI are perfectly separated and no harm will come to the projector. There's several strands of cable inside the HDMI, one strand to each pin of the terminal, each pin is responsible for a different job. I suspect unused audio just dead ends.