A new gem in my collection.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A new gem in my collection....

LeRoy
07-23-2010, 05:00 AM
A couple of weeks ago my Canton 403 speakers in Mocca finish and white grills arrived. Quite to my surprise and delight they are quite a musical speaker and a bargain at only $399.00/pr from A4Less.

I'll post a review of them when I get comfortable with what I am hearing once I am broken in.
For now, I think the tweeter rivals that of the REF 3A episode and I already prefer to listen to the Canton's when playing New Age or acoustic music. These speaker do not have bottom end punch like my MS 902's nor are they as full sounding in the mids as the Nola Mini's but they are nevertheless a very cohesive speaker, airy, and simply play music beautifully.I love them and they are keepers. More details to come later in the year.

Have a nice day everyone.

LeRoy

TheHills44060
07-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Congrats LeRoy...would love to hear those. The thought of aluminum woofers in a 2 way always frightens me lol. Good choice with the mocca finish.

LeRoy
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats LeRoy...would love to hear those. The thought of aluminum woofers in a 2 way always frightens me lol. Good choice with the mocca finish.

I know what you mean. I didn't know what to think of Aluminum woofers either and then I got the MS 902's. Now, with the Canton's also with Al woofers they are, IMO, the two best speakers I have ever purchased so far. It took me a few days to quit staring at the speakers and simply enjoy the music.

YBArcam
07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Why the trepidation about the aluminum woofers? I didn't mind the aluminum/magnesium woofers on my old Monitor Audio RS5. I did have a problem with the tweeter, but the woofer sounded great.

Congrats on the Cantons though - they look like an interesting option at that price point. Canton isn't that big in these parts...I came across just one store that sold them a few years ago, and they sounded pretty good as far as I recall. Don't remember which model though.

LeRoy
07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
The trepidation was due to not having heard them before. I am familiar with the sound of polymer, paper/pulp, and Kevlar but didn't know what to expect from Al woofers.

Thanks, I am finding the Cantons very much to my liking.