Please help.. First Thread... Powered Sub .... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help.. First Thread... Powered Sub ....

Tony3537
07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
I need some help deciding on a powered sub for my HT… My choices are as follows: The Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer… for $155…. Or The KLIPSCH KSW-300 15" for $175…. The Dayton is brand new while the KLIPSCH is used, discontinued in 1999… Yes, 99 not a typo…… I am fully aware of KLIPSCH quality and that is why for me this is a tough decision… Do I take the band new Dayton and be worry free (until the warranty runs out) or do I risk it and go with the KLIPSCH? What would you do? I have specs on the Klipsch, if necessary I can post them.....

frenchmon
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
I need some help deciding on a powered sub for my HT… My choices are as follows: The Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer… for $155…. Or The KLIPSCH KSW-300 15" for $175…. The Dayton is brand new while the KLIPSCH is used, discontinued in 1999… Yes, 99 not a typo…… I am fully aware of KLIPSCH quality and that is why for me this is a tough decision… Do I take the band new Dayton and be worry free (until the warranty runs out) or do I risk it and go with the KLIPSCH? What would you do? I have specs on the Klipsch, if necessary I can post them.....

I have a Klipsch KSW 12 that I am happy with. Heres a review I was able to find about the KSW 300.

Customer Reviews

Customer Reviews
Read Reviews (1)
KSW-300 Subwoofer

by 8watt300b on May 5th 2010 18:16
This sub was only made for one year. Not too sure why the short run but I keep hearing that it's replacement isn't as good (KSW-15). Being a 12 year old sub I wasn't too sure what to expect. It put my 12 inch Velodyne to shame! Rated at 300 watts but it's probably true Klipsch fashion in terms of efficiency because it feels more like double that output. Solid build quality. Good sub if you can find one.
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/ksw-300-reviews/#customerreviews

Tony3537
07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I know Klipsch is a superior product, it's just the age of the unit that is a concern to me.... Technology changes every 6 months and this unit is over a decade old.... Again, what would you do? Anybody????

basite
07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
rest assured, technology in amplifiers and sound playback in general doesn't change every 6 months.

Your powered sub consists out of an amplifier, a driver, and a box to put both of those in. And the amplifier technology hasn't really changed much, or at least not drastically, since the introduction of solid state amps in the mid-late 60's... :), the driver is still based on the same principle, so...

the only technology that actually "changes", in the audio world is the technology that uses computer chips, such as DAC's (digital analogue converters) in CD players, A/V receivers, DVD players, ... and DSP chips (for effects and the dolby & DTS thing).

SO, as long as the subwoofer has been threated well over the years, it should be your best pick :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JoeE SP9
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Although I'm a Dayton subwoofer fan, get the Klipsch. It has a bigger cone more power and probably a larger box. If box size is a factor you may need to reconsider that.