Surge Supressor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surge Supressor

blackraven
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Any one have any experience with these surge supressors?

http://www.zerosurge.com/eightoutletmodels.cfm

JohnMichael
07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a, wait for the jeers of derision, Monster Cable surge supressor and noise filtration. I have been very pleased with the reduction in noise. I expect it to do well if indeed there is a surge that needs surpressed. Oh and it was only about $70 at Best Buy.

eisforelectronic
07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Monster cable is MOV based just like most stuff out there

Also look at http://www.surgex.com/ for true surge suppression

JoeE SP9
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
There's nothing wrong with MOV based protection. I've been using a Tripplite Isotel8Ultra for a while. It's the second I've owned.
I came home from work one day to the smell of "smoked" electronics. Lightning strike I was later told by the electric company. All my breakers had blown. Most of my terminal strips were fried. I lost some minor electronics anyway. My power amps were off and the line breaker saved them. My low level gear was on. It was plugged into a Tripplite that was totally fried. None of my gear was injured and Tripplite replaced the Isotel for free. If they improve the sound good, thats a plus. At minimum they provide protection. They are worth the <$150 expense.

BTW: The ISOTEL8ULTRA (http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=825&txtModelID=112) (the one I'm using) used to cost $249. The price reduction is an added benefit.

Bill K Davis
07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I tried messing with power sources with a Tripplite ultra Diagnostic surge suppressor. Hooked to my Sansui 777 amp. I didn't like the results. I t seemed to cut off frequencies and muffle everything. Now I figure I'll just stay away from this tweak.

Poultrygeist
07-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't spring for one that expensive as surge protectors should be replaced on a regular basis.

JoeE SP9
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I tried messing with power sources with a Tripplite ultra Diagnostic surge suppressor. Hooked to my Sansui 777 amp. I didn't like the results. I t seemed to cut off frequencies and muffle everything. Now I figure I'll just stay away from this tweak.

Surge supressors are not a good idea for a power amp. In my post I specifically said my power amps were not plugged into a supressor. Most surge surpressors current limit. That's something you don't want with a power amp. That applies to integrated amps also.

Swish
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a, wait for the jeers of derision, Monster Cable surge supressor and noise filtration. I have been very pleased with the reduction in noise. I expect it to do well if indeed there is a surge that needs surpressed. Oh and it was only about $70 at Best Buy.

I bought one for my HT room and the warranty said basically 'lifetime' coverage on my equipment. We had a lightning strike that blew out my 5 channel Adcom amp and I contacted them, but couldn't find the receipt! The guy kept saying the warranty was only for 3 years (or 5 maybe?) but I was reading it to him and there was no mention of a time limit, but he kept insisting until I told him to shut his trap and listen to me!

They wanted me to send a whole bunch of info, including the cost of damage to my Adcom, a diagram of how everything was connected, along with the damaged surge protector...within 30 days! Just try finding someone within driving distance to open it up and give me a quote on repairs within 30 days! Impossible, right? I sent everything and explained having to wait nearly 5 weeks for a bench test. What did I get? A new Monster surge protector and not one cent.

Needless to say, I won't use that p.o.s. and will never, as long as I live, but another Monster product. What a bunch of jerks.

Feanor
07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with MOV based protection. I've been using a Tripplite Isotel8Ultra for a while. It's the second I've owned.
I came home from work one day to the smell of "smoked" electronics. Lightning strike I was later told by the electric company. All my breakers had blown. Most of my terminal strips were fried. I lost some minor electronics anyway. My power amps were off and the line breaker saved them. My low level gear was on. It was plugged into a Tripplite that was totally fried. None of my gear was injured and Tripplite replaced the Isotel for free. If they improve the sound good, thats a plus. At minimum they provide protection. They are worth the <$150 expense.

I like the Tripp Lite ISOs too. They provide separate outlet pairs isolated for RFI/EMI. I use one on my HT setup. They're unbeatable value for money.

Poultrygeist
07-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Using a surge protector with audio gear is a no brainer and it has no effect on the sound of my equipment. I've lost too many amps/receivers over the years to not have all my gear plugged in to one. Southern summers have almost daily lightning activity. No way I'd go a day without a surge protector. The key to a surge protector's effectiveness is replacing them regularly. They are only good for "x" number of power surges. I once had a whole-house protector installed at the meter box in one of my former houses.

TheHills44060
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Any one have any experience with these surge supressors?
http://www.zerosurge.com/eightoutletmodels.cfm
Yep. I bought one for my sister's rig but it's the model made by Brickwall. I'd recommend it for surge suppression.

I have a, wait for the jeers of derision, Monster Cable surge supressor and noise filtration.
John John John shame on you lol.

...The key to a surge protector's effectiveness is replacing them regularly. They are only good for "x" number of power surges.
Agreed! I had an old Panamax that used MOV's and it failed after less than 10 years.

Glen B
07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with MOV based protection.
Seconded. I have been using both commercially made and DIY devices with MOV based surge protection for many years and encountered no operational or sonic issues. I replace the MOVs periodically. Other forms of surge suppression have their pros and cons just as MOVs do.

I wouldn't spring for one that expensive as surge protectors should be replaced on a regular basis.
That may be true for devices that employ MOVs, which are sacrificial devices, however, Surge-X products have no sacrificial devices and should last indefinitely.

Glen B
07-29-2010, 09:46 AM

The sonic degradation may not have been caused by the surge suppression device(s) themselves but the chokes employed in the L-C networks used in each filter bank -- good for computer equipment and appliances, bad for audio. My experience with various EMI/RFI filters in DIY applications is that they caused a noticeable loss of transparency.

blackraven
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm planning on buying this Voltage Regulator-Supressor. The list is over $400 but it can be had for about $200. I've even seen it listed for about $180.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/power-conditioners/apc-h15

It's has some good reviews. The darn thing weighs in at about 16#'s. So there's got to be something that works inside.

Hyfi
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm planning on buying this Voltage Regulator-Supressor. The list is over $400 but it can be had for about $200. I've even seen it listed for about $180.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/power-conditioners/apc-h15

It's has some good reviews. The darn thing weighs in at about 16#'s. So there's got to be something that works inside.

What are you waiting for? This unit is awesome for the money and you will hear a sound improvement. I have been using it with no issues for several months now. Highly recommended!

frahengeo
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I recommend the APC unit also.

Here's a picture of its guts:

blackraven
07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
HyFi, I've been scarfing up NOS 6CG7's tubes lately. In fact I just bought a pair of Platinum rated matched Tung Sols which are as smooth as a newborns bottom. I need to pick up another matched pair of RCA Clear Tops and then I'm going to buy that APC unit.
NOS tubes are disappearing rapidly and the prices are going up fast. Got to buy them now.