Old concert footage on Blu ray? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old concert footage on Blu ray?

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2010, 06:46 AM
How much difference does it make to have old concert footage on Blu-ray versus DVD?

Hubby and I are going to buy the new Rush documentary. I was going to buy it on BR. He was going to buy it on DVD. We're not buying both. The benefit of DVD is that we have three TV/stereo setups in the house. If we get the DVD then we can watch it in any room. If we get BR, we are currently restricted to our living room as that is the only BR player in the house at the moment and I'm not in a big hurry to replace our existing DVD players as long as they are functioning.

Hubby was wondering whether BR would make much difference in this case, since much of the footage is old.

Do we get BR or DVD? Decisions, decisions.

Hyfi
07-20-2010, 07:58 AM
The blacks will be blacker
The whites will be whiter
The graininess will be better detailed graininess

Don't wast your money when it comes to old footage, IMO, as you cant make gold out of crap.

GMichael
07-20-2010, 08:02 AM
You should have watched it when it was on TV like I told you to. Why don't girls ever listen?

Geeezzz...

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
It wasn't on TV here. No Palladia in Canada. So there! :prrr:

GMichael
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
What's Palladia? I watched it on HDNET and then again on VH1.

MasterCylinder
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Ever since that RUSH rock-doc was mentioned here, I've been watching the schedules of VH1 and Palladia..........................nowhere yet.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
We don't get VH1 either. We do get HDNet but I never saw it on the schedule.

Judging by HDNet's web site, it looks like Canadian programming is not always the same as the US programming. :(

GMichael
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I just check my local listings with no luck either. Sorry.
I don't buy anything on DVD anymore, but that doesn't mean that it's not right for you. The DVD does seem to be half the price.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
The DVD does seem to be half the price.

Blu ray is only $3.00 more than the DVD.

GMichael
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Blu ray is only $3.00 more than the DVD.
When I checked Amazon earlier, the DVD was $10 while the BR was $20. Oh Geezz... The DVD is $17 now. I swear it said 9.99 earlier.
Isn't the improved sound quality worth the extra $3?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I have reviewed the Jimmy Hendrix experience on Blu ray, and the picture was quite good.

Lately I have viewed It came from Beneath the sea and 2 million miles to Earth( Harryhausen productions), and while there is more grain than you usually see on DVD(DVD is prefiltered to remove as much grain as possible) the picture quality on both of these very old titles was excellent, and certainly better than the DVD.

100 percent of the time that I have both the DVD and the Blu ray, the Blu ray pq was certainly better than the DVD.

As far as this release, while I think there is some unevenness between archive and the live footage, overall this Blu ray looks quite good. Blu ray.com gave it 4 bars. I would have to agree with their assesment of the pq