Interesting if "Vanilla" article on HiFi [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting if "Vanilla" article on HiFi

Worf101
07-19-2010, 03:53 AM
You might find this interesting. No revelations here, I did like how he handled "tire kickers" . Folks that take up time, energy and resources with no intention of buying anything.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20010768-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

Worf

Feanor
07-19-2010, 04:25 AM
You might find this interesting. No revelations here, I did like how he handled "tire kickers" . Folks that take up time, energy and resources with no intention of buying anything.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20010768-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

Worf
Humm ... well yes, an article from the salesman's (salesperson's?) POV.

Like most of us, I encountered thousands over the years, (many years), and I've found good 'uns and bad 'uns. The best have typically been the store proprietors themselves -- not always, mind you.

The saleman's judgement of who "has not intention of buying anything" is not infallible. I have gone into shops with not intention to buy on one occassion, but have returned with reasonable intention to buy on another only be met with an attitude that can charitably be described as indifferent. Also, I have scouted out shops on behalf of friends who had every intention to buy though I personally did not. And I experienced the dismissive attitude of salesman who where standing around doing nothing with not another person in the shop who never the less gave the impression that I was imposing on their precious time.

As for being profession, yes, many saleman are professional but they are typcally sales professionals first, and often not audio professions at all. I especially hate ostinately opinionated salesmen: in the first place they are sales-oriented and I suspect their agendas; secondly I really don't like people in general who won't at least pretend to be interested in my opinions.

luvtolisten
07-19-2010, 05:54 AM
I've seen both sides of this. There is nothing more annoying, than having a transaction started to be interrupted by a "maybe buyer". It's rude. The good salesman doesn't let that happen.
On the other had, I have walked in with a curious attitude, or information gathering attitude. If the salesman is busy, I'll wait. But if he's just BSing with his co-workers, I'll interrupt. He is being paid for his time. I then get the attitude, if he has no interest now, why would he later if I did make a purchase?