long cable run for sub - 40 feet long ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : long cable run for sub - 40 feet long ?

omikey
04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi, I need to run a cable for my sub.
Down through the floor, across the floor joist in the basement, up through the floor in the back of the room into a closet where the equipment stack will sit.

My measurement estimate (conserative) is 40 feet. Here are my questions:

What kind of cable should I run ?
What gauge ?
Where can I get it ?

What's the difference between your answer to the above and a pre-made cable (shall I dare say it) monster ?

What other brand can I find pre-made to run from the sub out across this 40 feet ? And where can I find it ?

Thanks !!!

Mikey

wasch_24
04-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Mike,
How's everything going?

I'm not running that long but I just used a stereo pair of RCA's and split 'em down the middle to run to my subs. About a twenty foot cable if I remember correctly.

omikey
04-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks Wasch !

I was wondering if I could use that same kind of cable, didn't see why that wouldn't work ..... I was young about 7 years ago and put a MONSTER cable on it ... but it was like 12 feet - must have been the most expensive (on a per unit cost basis) component in my entire system.

I have grown since then and have a differnent perspective on what value the cable contributes to my system - PLEASE everyone, this wasn't said to incite a riot, just MO

Things are coming along Wash..... I got my new Denon 3805 yesterday... :D

Connected it into my exsisting system W O W WEEEEEEEEE
what a difference in the way it sounds to me.
Warmer, with much more of the mid range filled in and the highs seems a bit softer. Not sure how that happens, same speakers, same wire, same everything except the AVR ...... even the base is MUCH improved. The bass sounds deeper, and the notes last longer and the sound of the bass is more on the order of a 'sound' as in you can hear the frequency come across the room rolling along, as opposed to the short boom boom that used to be present.
I love this new sound !!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the specs between my old AVR (JVC RX88-4V) and the Denon. JVC was 100w/channel (5.1) the Denon is 120w/channel (7.1) and then there is the THD - JVC power amp out is rated at .8 and the Denon is at .05

It would be really cool to have a switch and have someone give me a blind test to see if I would have the same things to say :)

However alas I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ordered the speakers yesterday too :) (the BA stuff I've been telling you about) Speakers should be here next week, I HOPE !!:cool:

I hope all is well with you also ..... I know you are still enjoying that new system of yours too !!!!!!!

Mike,
How's everything going?

I'm not running that long but I just used a stereo pair of RCA's and split 'em down the middle to run to my subs. About a twenty foot cable if I remember correctly.

JSE
04-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks Wasch !

I was wondering if I could use that same kind of cable, didn't see why that wouldn't work ..... I was young about 7 years ago and put a MONSTER cable on it ... but it was like 12 feet - must have been the most expensive (on a per unit cost basis) component in my entire system.

I have grown since then and have a differnent perspective on what value the cable contributes to my system - PLEASE everyone, this wasn't said to incite a riot, just MO

Things are coming along Wash..... I got my new Denon 3805 yesterday... :D

Connected it into my exsisting system W O W WEEEEEEEEE
what a difference in the way it sounds to me.
Warmer, with much more of the mid range filled in and the highs seems a bit softer. Not sure how that happens, same speakers, same wire, same everything except the AVR ...... even the base is MUCH improved. The bass sounds deeper, and the notes last longer and the sound of the bass is more on the order of a 'sound' as in you can hear the frequency come across the room rolling along, as opposed to the short boom boom that used to be present.
I love this new sound !!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the specs between my old AVR (JVC RX88-4V) and the Denon. JVC was 100w/channel (5.1) the Denon is 120w/channel (7.1) and then there is the THD - JVC power amp out is rated at .8 and the Denon is at .05

It would be really cool to have a switch and have someone give me a blind test to see if I would have the same things to say :)

However alas I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ordered the speakers yesterday too :) (the BA stuff I've been telling you about) Speakers should be here next week, I HOPE !!:cool:

I hope all is well with you also ..... I know you are still enjoying that new system of yours too !!!!!!!

Where did you end up buying from? Tweeter?

JSE

mtrycraft
04-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi, I need to run a cable for my sub.
Down through the floor, across the floor joist in the basement, up through the floor in the back of the room into a closet where the equipment stack will sit.

My measurement estimate (conserative) is 40 feet. Here are my questions:

What gauge ?
Where can I get it ?

What's the difference between your answer to the above and a pre-made cable (shall I dare say it) monster ?

What other brand can I find pre-made to run from the sub out across this 40 feet ? And where can I find it ?

Thanks !!!

Mikey

Is it a powered sub? Are you thinking of using interconnects or speaker level cables?
If interconnect, use an RG6 type cable, pre made is fine, with a converter plug from F type, if it comes with that to RCA is fine. If speaker wire, use 12ga from Home Depot, about $.30/ft, not Monster, too expensive.

omikey
04-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Is it a powered sub? Are you thinking of using interconnects or speaker level cables?
If interconnect, use an RG6 type cable, pre made is fine, with a converter plug from F type, if it comes with that to RCA is fine. If speaker wire, use 12ga from Home Depot, about $.30/ft, not Monster, too expensive.

Mtry - yes it's a powered sub.

You asked:

Are you thinking of using interconnects or speaker level cables?
I was thinking that I would use interconnet because I thought that was 'best' and I could use the sub out from the avr.
Hadn't given consideration to using speaker wire. Should I ? Is interconnect the best way to go with this ?

You stated:

If interconnect, use an RG6 type cable, pre made is fine, with a converter plug from F type, if it comes with that to RCA is fine.
Where can I find a interconnect like this (40 feet long) ?

Thanks for your help !!

Mike

omikey
04-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Where did you end up buying from? Tweeter?

JSE
JSE - yeah I ended up at Tweeter .... because you can not get BA speakers online, and there is only 1 other dealer in my area, and they don't carry Denon. So I called up a tweeter about 100 miles from here and asked them ...... hey, if I buy a Denon 3805 and BA speakers, retail is $3300.00, what kind of deal will you give me.
They responded: $3000.00 - so that was $300 less than the local Tweeter store. I told the guy here, he gave me some more BS (fricking makes me sick :rolleyes: ) about his great service blah blah blah ........ so I went 100 miles (200 round trip) saved $300 (minus gas and wear and tear on the truck) ..... coupled it with a lilttle business and expensed it.
So I got to save $300 on the AVR/Speaker combo. :D more DVDs !!

I know I owe you guys (certainly you, Wasch and Whooch) a long post on the entire story ..... I'll start a new thread and give you the whole thing, before long :)

wasch_24
04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=omikey]JSE - yeah I ended up at Tweeter .... [QUOTE]
Hey, I know it's too late now, but just for s**ts and giggles you should have asked the guy at the store that was 100 miles away if you could pick up the stuff from the store closest to your house. I don't know if you remember my first reply to you in the "Tweeter, will they deal" thread but that is pretty much what I ended up doing. That way instead of losing just your sale that guy near your house would have lost any potential future sale. Instead of a reduced profit he would have none. Hee Hee. Just keep in mind for next time. It's hard to believe how some sales guys just don't get it. Some commision now is always better then potential commission. Especially when you know the buyer is going to buying a lot of goods. I would try and call the 100mile guy and see if you can buy over the phone from the local invetory. He shouldn't really care, a sale's a sale regardless of whose invetory it comes from.

omikey
04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Wasch - wouldn't that make him happy HAHAHAHAAAA
I don't know if I could even get myself to go into the store to pick up the gear, but I like the thought of it.

As many times as I talked to that guy in the last 6 weeks, he never got it. I'm like you Wasch, I'm thinking hey if I'm the sales guy, I'm gonna deal with this guy. Some money is WAY fricking better than NO money. AND, if I deal with him, he will come here to get all of his gear, so I make money on quanity. I mean he'll have plenty of regulars that he can sell MSRP to, some that he can't. He will learn or not be in the business much longer I would think.

Heck I still got a long way to go .... still need IR externders (now gonna get em online - but he could've sold them to me, just give me a break),
still need to update the DVD player, CD jukebox (I like that Pioneer one that has 400 slots and one slot for sticking in a CD that isn't in the database, play it and take it out). My guess is that I'll get these two items in the next year or so and then I'll be DONE !!!!!

Moving into this house has cost me a lot of money that I didn't expect to be spending ..... I was very content with the HT that I had....... but this system BLOWS the old stuff away (sure hate parting with all that bread though)

later

[QUOTE=omikey]JSE - yeah I ended up at Tweeter .... QUOTE]
Hey, I know it's too late now, but just for s**ts and giggles you should have asked the guy at the store that was 100 miles away if you could pick up the stuff from the store closest to your house. I don't know if you remember my first reply to you in the "Tweeter, will they deal" thread but that is pretty much what I ended up doing. That way instead of losing just your sale that guy near your house would have lost any potential future sale. Instead of a reduced profit he would have none. Hee Hee. Just keep in mind for next time. It's hard to believe how some sales guys just don't get it. Some commision now is always better then potential commission. Especially when you know the buyer is going to buying a lot of goods. I would try and call the 100mile guy and see if you can buy over the phone from the local invetory. He shouldn't really care, a sale's a sale regardless of whose invetory it comes from.

Tony_Montana
04-10-2004, 07:37 PM
What gauge ?
Where can I get it ?

For such a long cable, you might not only need a cables that have good shielding, but have low shield resistance also (such as double braid). Belden 1505F coax cable might be what you need.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/1505F.htm

omikey
04-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Tony - Thanks for the tip. I was doing some searching this weekend and came across that Bluejeans site and saw their sub cables. Yep, I'm gonna get one from there .....