Replacing Kenwood VR-615 Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Kenwood VR-615 Receiver

starschwar
07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I've had this for 7-8 years now. The center and sub will often cease to function randomly. Cycling the power occasionally fixes the problem, but this is happening less frequently. So I'm all but certain that its on its last legs. I've never replaced something like this before, and have some questions.

Can I swap this Kenwood 100w 5.1 receiver out with a more modern 100w 7.1 receiver of any brand? I need to be able to connect the existing speaker wiring to the new receiver, and can't rewire the room. Changing speakers is possible, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
Can I adjust a 7.1 receiver to function as a 5.1? Adding speakers is not an option.
Any recommendations for a new receiver? My requirements are:

Decoding for Dolby, DTS, and any other modern standards I may not yet be aware of.
Old fasioned RCA stereo input (red, white). Pro Logic II remixing is a plus, but I can live without that.
6-channel surround input via a set of 6 rca cables. I believe this is an uncommon option, but the Kenwood (and my equally obscure Malata dvd player) did have them, at least.
Digital optical audio input.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I had exactly the same receiver and I ended up selling it. I like how it has internal amplifier for the subwoofer and at the same time output for a powered subwoofer.

Any newer surround receiver will have the options the Kenwood had and even more. You can use the same speakers without a problem but if you have it set up for 5.1 than you have to stick to 5.1 because 7.1 requires to ass 2 more speakers in your case.

You can use the same speakers without changing them with any receiver. One problem you may have is the subwoofer, if you don't have a powered subwoofer and you just have a regular one you might have a problem there because most of the new receivers require powered subwoofer so you have to watch on that before you buy!

starschwar
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Thank you. Some followups:

If my sub only has wires connected to the receiver, can I assume that it isn't powered?

Does the new receiver have to match the 100w rating? Can it be higher or lower?

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes if your sub is connected with speaker wires it is not powered. Tell me the exact model so I can tell you for sure. The powered subwoofers have a power cable that connects to the outlet like the receivers do.

The subwoofer can be any watts, it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the receiver because you use only the receiver output sound to give it a signal to the powered subwoofer.

Powered subwoofer again means that in the subwoofer box there is an amplifier that drives the whole sub so no worries about the subwoofer watts, of course everyone wants more watts ;)

starschwar
07-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I've misplaced my manual, butthe sub is most certainly not powered, then.

Does what you said apply to the other speakers as well? That is, I could connect them to the receiver regardless of watt rating?

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes the other speakers you can use them with the other receivers.

starschwar
07-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Thank you very much for all of your help. Though, I have to admit, I am confused. If the speakers are interchangable, what exactly does the watt rating mean?

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
The only problem you have to worry is the subwoofer, everything else with the speakers is fine so go ahead and get a new receiver.

If you have any other questions let me know

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Manufacturers give an output power rating for the amp section of the receiver as well as many specifications. Speaker manufacturers give a power handling or recommended power rating as sort of a guide what size amp to match them to. Dak is correct that it's not anything to worry about. Most people blow speakers by not having enough power. They turn the receiver up to far then it begins to distort and that is what usually blows a speaker.

For a good middle range I'd recommend the Onkyo TX-608. This receiver demands space around it or good air flow. It's a good performer. You can go cheaper with Sony or Pioneer, they both have receiver's at or around $199.00 that still offers HDMI and HD audio formats. Can't go wrong with Denon, Yamaha or Marantz either.

A good sub priced right is Emotiva's Ultra 10 or 12, depending on your room size. You just missed a good sale on these. www.emotiva.com

Replacing the receiver should be as simple as taking the Kenwood out and putting the new one in it's spot, hook up wise any way, set up may be a different story. So reading reviews and looking for the easy set up might be something you want to do. New receivers almost all have some type of auto speaker set up which you will probably find handy.

starschwar
07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Ah, space concerns. Knew I forgot something. This has to fit in my wall unit - I've got about an inch on either side to work with, compared to my current one. Thanks again for the info, everyone.

starschwar
07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Ah, space concerns. Knew I forgot something. This has to fit in my wall unit - I've got about an inch on either side to work with, compared to my current one. Thanks again for the info, everyone.

starschwar
07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Huh... the inputs for the speaker wires on the model you recommended look nothing like the ones on my old one. Should I be concerned?

http://media.ldlc.com/ld/products/00/00/75/92/LD0000759223_2.jpg

http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/kenwood/kenwood_krf-v4060_v5060_v5560_vr-605_615_sm.pdf_1.png

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't worry about the speaker connections, I'm guessing Kenwood used the push tabs where you just stick the bare wire in, Onkyo most likely is using a "5-way binding post", you just unscrew it a bit with your finger tips and put the bare wire under the thumb tab and screw it back down.

Width shouldn't be a problem either as most receivers are a standard 17". If your shelf for the receiver isn't open in the back I would recommend maybe going to another brand than Onkyo. Onkyo uses a high current design in the power amp section and it generates a lot of heat. Heat no good for electronics.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 08:27 PM
If you feel comfortable with the Kenwood VR series receivers, just go to ebay and write "Kenwood VR" and you can purchase the same or similar one so you don't have to worry for anything!

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
But if replacing it would be wise to modernize if you think you will ever go to HDTV or the Blu-ray format at some point. Digital processing has come quite a way since that Kenwood was built.

Actually, the 6-way, or multichannel, analog has become more available due to SACD and Blu-ray first coming out with the onboard decoders.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes that is true, I know it is better to get something newer.

starschwar
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks again, you've all been really helpful. I'm actually already using an HD display. Am I missing out on anything by using optical cables for my audio (as opposed to HDMI), or just quality/convenience? I'm glad to hear about the increased popularity of the 6ch input. I recall the concept baffling some local retailers when I purchased the cables yars ago.

Someone on another forum gave me this piece of advice regarding the speakers:

whether or not something supports your speakers depends on what the impedance of your speakers are.

most US receivers are rated at 6 and 8 ohm. Some are rated at 4, 6, 8 ohm. Most good receivers that aren't rated for 4 ohm will still support, you'll probably just run kinda hot.

so the question is what impedance your speakers are. if its a HTIB set of speakers, those will sometimes be odd ratings. I've seem some 3 ohm. If you are running a mid level system you put together, they are probably 8 ohm.

if you are running HTIB speakers, i'd say toss them when you upgrade your receiver.

Is that accurate?

Mr Peabody
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't worry about impedance, if your speakers worked well with the Kenwood they will be fine with what ever other brand you use. Just to give a bit of understanding a 4 ohm speaker will draw more current from an amp than a 8 ohm speaker, some receivers aren't really designed to handle the current draw of a 4 ohm speaker but in most instances receivers do fine with 4 ohms as long as they aren't driven hard. It's true they may get a bit warmer. I've used Kenwood in the past and they aren't high current so I'm sure if your speaker s did fine with the 615 they will do fine with any other receiver. Also, the 4, 6 or 8 ohm rating is just a "nominal" rating, impedance swings with the music, program, demand put on it. So a more stable impedance is better than one with wild swings which may dip well below 4 ohms. It's that low swing that will bring an amp to it's knees if it isn't capable of delivering some current upon demand.

pixelthis
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks again, you've all been really helpful. I'm actually already using an HD display. Am I missing out on anything by using optical cables for my audio (as opposed to HDMI), or just quality/convenience? I'm glad to hear about the increased popularity of the 6ch input. I recall the concept baffling some local retailers when I purchased the cables yars ago.

Someone on another forum gave me this piece of advice regarding the speakers:

whether or not something supports your speakers depends on what the impedance of your speakers are.

most US receivers are rated at 6 and 8 ohm. Some are rated at 4, 6, 8 ohm. Most good receivers that aren't rated for 4 ohm will still support, you'll probably just run kinda hot.

so the question is what impedance your speakers are. if its a HTIB set of speakers, those will sometimes be odd ratings. I've seem some 3 ohm. If you are running a mid level system you put together, they are probably 8 ohm.

if you are running HTIB speakers, i'd say toss them when you upgrade your receiver.

Is that accurate?

Todays modern equipment is very forgiving of what speaker is used where, modern amps
are capable of 6 to 8 ohm speakers, usually, and some can handle four.
In other words, don't worry about it.
As for HDMI, if you get a new receiver, most have HDMI switching, which means you plug
the HDMI from your devices into the back, the HDMI out into the TV.
the sound is routed through the receiver, the pic goews through the tv.
I have this on my new receiver, its very nice, never have to change the input on my TV,
JUST pick a source at the receiver.
Your old KENWOOD is stone knives and bearskins compared to most modern receivers,
which have all of the new codecs for BLU ray, DDII to make stereo sources sound like a 5,1 movie.
You can't go wrong upgrading.:1:

pixelthis
07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
GET A NICE NEW "powered" sub while you're at it, there is a plug on the back of new receivers, SUB, very easy to hook up.
Doubt if teh old one is worth the trouble.:1:

Mr Peabody
07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
You will need HDMI for audio if you go with Blu-ray some day. The HD audio formats (Dolby Tru-HD & DTS-MA) have too much bandwidth to pass via optical or coaxial digital. However, if the decoder is in the player you can use the multichannel analog. The drawback is most BDP do not have as extensive speaker adjustments. Also, less sync issues with HDMI.

If you decide to go with HDMI you want to make sure the receiver you buy has video upconversion. This will allow analog video sources like VHS to be converted so it will pass via HDMI. I think if I was you with a good excuse to buy a new receiver I'd get one with all the current audio and video capability.

A good place to get basic buying information, to see and price receivers is www.crutchfield.com

starschwar
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Interesting. I'm using a PS3 as my Blu-Ray player. Its connected to the Kenwood via optical, and I've never had any compatibility issues with Blu-Ray audio - Dolby HD lights up the Dolby indicator, ditto whatever the modern DTS standard is. So I've been getting a watered down version of the proper sound, then?

Mr Peabody
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Interesting. I'm using a PS3 as my Blu-Ray player. Its connected to the Kenwood via optical, and I've never had any compatibility issues with Blu-Ray audio - Dolby HD lights up the Dolby indicator, ditto whatever the modern DTS standard is. So I've been getting a watered down version of the proper sound, then?

The HD audio formats were designed to be backward compatible so even with optical you are getting slightly better sound than DVD but not the full bandwidth of the soundtrack. Dolby Tru HD & DTS-MA are said to be bit for bit the same as the master soundtrack. If you have a PS3 it would be worth stepping into HDMI. Unless buying used you'll get the inputs any way.

starschwar
07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
A local store has a pretty good deal on a Samsung HWC700. Anyone have any experience with that? I haven't been able to find many in-depth reviews online.

PlumDragon
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Id consider Samsung a bit of an off brand personally. However, its been shown many times that the receiver itself is probably really of less importance than your speaker setup, etc. When you pay a lot for a receiver, youre paying for the icing on top. Your mileage may vary...

dakatabg
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Go hear it and if you like it, you buy it. Personally I have never been impressed by samsung receivers, look if it was a tv than it is a different story! Exactly the same receiver brand new on ebay goes for $340 with free shipping so I don't know how good deal the local store gives you!

starschwar
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I see. What brands should I look for then? This is a small room, and I'm not looking for anything too pricey.

dakatabg
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Ok what is your max price you can spend on a receiver?

starschwar
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Ideally, I don't want to go higher than $400.

Finally found some more reviews for that Sammy. Some glitches/dropouts and a lack of video upscaling makes it a pass after all.

dakatabg
07-27-2010, 01:04 PM
For $400 you will have a very big choice. Look for Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. There are many more good brands but those are the most affordable I guess. Make sure they have HDMI.

starschwar
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I thought Onkyos ran at high temperatures, though?

dakatabg
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I thought Onkyos ran at high temperatures, though?

I have never heard something like that but it is possible. I have one home and I never have had problems with it and no high temperatures as you say!

starschwar
07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Hm, interesting. I'll go browse again later this week, and I'll check with you all on my other possible choices.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Here's your baby http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V765BL-7-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B001S2RD90/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1280269061&sr=1-3-fkmr0

You can even step back to a 5 channel to save a few bucks. The recent Yamaha i've heard sounded good.

starschwar
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I'll be going with that one, then. Can anyone recommend a sub to go with it? Again, small room, don't need anything overly powerful.

Mr Peabody
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
The Ultra 10 or 12 at www.emotiva.com are hard to beat for the money. HSU also has what looks like a decent sub around $349.00. I have an Ultra 12, it performs well and a small enclosure.

starschwar
07-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't suppose there's something cheaper you know of? Any of those subs cost more than I spent on my previous reciever, 5 speakers, and sub put together.

Mr Peabody
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
The Emo Ultra 10 is showing $289.00, http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

I've never used them but I believe Dayton has one for $250.00. Any cheaper than that and you'll be using some kind of computer sub, you might as well do without one until you can save up. I don't have a link but sometimes you can get a cheap 8" Yamaha or Sony but you get what you pay for.

starschwar
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
How about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W2500-Performance-Line-Subwoofer/dp/B000OL3QTW/ref=sr_1_143?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1280447489&sr=1-143

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Front-Firing-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00016555I/ref=sr_1_147?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1280447647&sr=1-147

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JS800-100-Watt-8-Subwoofer/dp/B00005LAC7/ref=sr_1_152?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1280447653&sr=1-152

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-SWH672-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B002KRV66I/ref=sr_1_50?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280447733&sr=1-50

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW215PN-Powered-Subwoofer-Piano/dp/B000MT7RW8/ref=sr_1_62?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280447733&sr=1-62

Mr Peabody
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Those most likely will not be able to keep up with your receiver, having little to no real effect. The only one I'd even try would be the Yamaha, at 250 watts it might work. Think of what your sub is to do though, Low Frequency Effects, explosions etc. It takes power and usually a large woofer, 10" or better, to move enough air.

starschwar
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, I have the receiver and a decent enough sony sub. Haven't hooked it up just yet. Question: is there a way to have the receiver output video from one source and audio from another? For component video in, it only offers an optical output. I have a dvd player that outputs component for video, but 6 ch for audio, a Wii that outputs component w/ rca audio, etc.

starschwar
08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Nevermind - I can. Added in a firmware update. Unit came with an addemdum explaining it, so I assume its already installed.

Mr Peabody
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, if the receiver does upconverting so other audio and video can pass via HDMI, hopefully that's what the upgrade did for you. Don't worry after the hair pulling and set up is over then you'll have fun.

starschwar
08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Fun seems like a long, long way away. Why on earth do the speaker cables have to be inserted at a diagonal angle before being screwed in?!?! I've never seen anything like that in my life. I've got to get these in while the unit is in my wall unit, and I've got maybe one inch of space to work. Is this really the standard plug configuration these days? I can't imagine how a 45 degree angle of insertion got approved. How can that be a benefit to anyone in any situation, ever?

starschwar
08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Well, I managed to get it done, somehow. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Everything's looking and sounding better than ever before.

Mr Peabody
08-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Glad to hear you are up and running. Enjoy.