What is the melting point for vinyl.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the melting point for vinyl....

atomicAdam
07-16-2010, 01:51 PM
cause it is 102+ degrees here in Upland today and I have no A/C and I'm seriously ****ing melting - the Pacifico's aren't cold enough and the shade from the trees isn't over reaching enough.......OMG seriously....I'm dying but I don't want my vinyl to melt! ( i know it wont - but....ugh)

frenchmon
07-16-2010, 02:08 PM
cause it is 102+ degrees here in Upland today and I have no A/C and I'm seriously ****ing melting - the Pacifico's aren't cold enough and the shade from the trees isn't over reaching enough.......OMG seriously....I'm dying but I don't want my vinyl to melt! ( i know it wont - but....ugh)

Be-careful with running some of your gear in the heat of the day....maybe better when the sun goes down. Dont know about the temp of vinyl...google it and you may find some hits.

02audionoob
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
There are actually building roofs made of vinyl.

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Adam I would suggest a small fan for your gear. Vinyl stored in any prolonged, extreme temperature is no good, but I suspect you know that.

If I am supposed to feel bad about the heat, well....I don't. You live in California, suck it up. Come visit me in the winter and see what you think about the heat then. I will let you shovel my driveway.

JohnMichael
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
It will warp before it melts. Make sure records are on edge and packed closely so they do not have room to warp. Of course you need to drink plenty of liquids and avoid too much physical exertion.

02audionoob
07-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I see it was 103 in Upland, CA yesterday. I live in Dallas and even I think that's hot.

frenchmon
07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Well try living is St. Louis where we are surrounded by the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Its not only hot, its humid as well. Go out side for a while and you start dripping with sweat. I wish I was back in North Carolina.

frenchmon
07-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I see it was 103 in Upland, CA yesterday. I live in Dallas and even I think that's hot.

I lived in Houston during the 80's and it was hot, but it was a dry heat...sometimes it would constantly hit 101 for days. The only problems I had with that was the little bugs and nats flying around. But when you got wet heat in the 90's and abouts, it makes it miserable.

hifitommy
07-24-2010, 09:28 AM
hey atomic (ever go to atomic records in burbank?), ambient temps like we get here in so-cal wont hurt your records if they are properly stored-vertically |||||| and not anywhere the direct sunlight. do circulate the room air with a fan.

poppa's admonition about the cold blustery weather in the northeast is right on. of course, for him its SOUTHeast (canada) but i am from about 100 miles from there-buffalo-and i for one an NOT leaving so-cal! btw, how good is rhino records over there?

noob, 102 IS hot but just the tip of the non-iceberg. it frequently goes over 110 here the LA area. in the early 70s when i was first here, it was 114 in burbank! a/c is nearly a necessity here. i lived in abilene in the mid-60s and the summers can be similar.. in basic training in san antonio, it ws +100 and 100% humidity most of the time i was there. THAT is miserable.

well adam, it looks like you dont have tubed equipment so some of the hazard of hot weather playing of audio is mitigated. consider buying A/C.

rakeford
07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
You can store your vinyl in my air conditioned listening room. Just send them to

PS: It's 101 outside, 75 inside.

basite
07-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I thought that too several times already,

just, don't park your records directly into the sun. Put them close to each other, and place them as vertical as you can. if they are not vertical they are more prone to warping...

Mingus
07-25-2010, 06:39 AM
As a native New Yorker I've experience both extremes 0 to +100 temps. In the past I store some my vinyls in the attic and it got warp - now its in the basement where it's cooler.

thekid
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Not sure what the melting point is but I am sure you could have melted them on my driveway this weekend...... Heat index of 110 and it was still 99 degrees at 7:30 PM!!!

We are not even into the dog days of August and I am already tired of the weather people here describing the mid 80's as a cold front!!!!!

GMichael
07-26-2010, 05:13 AM
It will warp before it melts. Make sure records are on edge and packed closely so they do not have room to warp. Of course you need to drink plenty of liquids and avoid too much physical exertion.
I'll second this. I used to have a very large record collection until my wife decided that they looked better stacked up behind the furnace. They didn't melt, but they sure did warp.

Mingus
07-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Would extreme cold have any affect on vinyls. I have a box of them in the garage which get pretty cold in the winter.

GMichael
07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Is it a dry environment? Will anything fall on them or hit them?

Mingus
07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The garage is dry and the box is on a shelf out of the way.

basite
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Would extreme cold have any affect on vinyls. I have a box of them in the garage which get pretty cold in the winter.

only if the environment is moist/humid, in this case the record might "freeze" in the winter, which might affect it, but, unless you're living on the north pole, I don't think this'll happen any time soon...

Mingus
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll move it to the basement to be on the safe side. Alternating cold and hot temperatures probably not so great on the vinyls in the long run.

JoeE SP9
07-28-2010, 08:48 AM
hey atomic (ever go to atomic records in burbank?), ambient temps like we get here in so-cal wont hurt your records if they are properly stored-vertically |||||| and not anywhere the direct sunlight. do circulate the room air with a fan.

poppa's admonition about the cold blustery weather in the northeast is right on. of course, for him its SOUTHeast (canada) but i am from about 100 miles from there-buffalo-and i for one an NOT leaving so-cal! btw, how good is rhino records over there?

noob, 102 IS hot but just the tip of the non-iceberg. it frequently goes over 110 here the LA area. in the early 70s when i was first here, it was 114 in burbank! a/c is nearly a necessity here. i lived in abilene in the mid-60s and the summers can be similar.. in basic training in san antonio, it ws +100 and 100% humidity most of the time i was there. THAT is miserable.

well adam, it looks like you dont have tubed equipment so some of the hazard of hot weather playing of audio is mitigated. consider buying A/C.

I was at Lackland in April 1966.

hifitommy
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
HEY JOE! where you goin' with that gun in your hand?!

i was at lakckland in aug '65 in the barracks just across from the drill pad. so you were there in cooler times.

RoyY51
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
...we used to fix warped records by putting them between two pieces of window glass and setting them out in the sun. Only took an hour or two, depending on the temperature and the severity of the warp.

Heat can also be our friend.