Fun New Game for Audiophiles [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fun New Game for Audiophiles

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey all. This game is called.... "SWITCH YOUR GEAR AROUND!!!!"

Tonight, feeling inspired by thekid and dak, I pulled out my Kenwood stuff. A fully functional KA-6004 and Basic C1. I hooked up a Yamaha CDX-510 to the 6004 and a pair of Paradigm Model 7se.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4798154100_228a69a944.jpg

It didn't sound too bad I suppose, but the preamp basically sucks. The bass is particularily weak and mushy. The upper mids and some of the highs are a lilttle much. I decided I would hook my EICO HF 85 into the 6004, using only it's power. I then hooked up the Basic C1 into my main system.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4797525273_a49f6f4375.jpg

Talk about fun! I am starting to believe that hybrid really is the way to go. The EICO sounded fantastic through the Kenwood's 40 wpc. The bass filled out and became wonderfully dynamic. Mids and highs smoothed out and there was an all around fullness to the sound.

As for the Basic C1, it was quite refreshing. Really clear and open sounding, a nice change.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4798157382_527493e9d1.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I find it's easy to get caught up with your gear. I am leary about swapping out too much stuff from my main system, since it contains the best pieces. It was actually my wife who pushed me to do it, and I'm glad I have. I think I'll leave things this way for a week or so.

I will put the KA-6004 / EICO combo on my Sound Dynamics and see how my DAC sounds through this.

Well thanks for reading. Any of you guys thinking about some changes with your existing gear? I know noob had some stuff in mind...

dakatabg
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I love switching around my gears. I always try how everything sounds with the other components and etc and it is fun, at least I enjoy it. The bad thing is that when I am switching around it is very likely to burn something.

thekid
07-16-2010, 02:25 AM
You know me when am I not thinking about moving around my stuff..... :D
Tomorrow I am picking up a Adcom GFP-555 preamp and a Dynaco ST-80 is on its way as well so I will be trying them out in various combo's. As I and others have found out that different sources just go better with different speakers. I think you do have to mix things up among what you have to see if you really have the best match. However I have several systems and a garage that attest to what can happen if you have too much of a "wandering ear"....... :D

Not to hijack your thre PC but......
Daks-did you ever pick up those TF-500's

Hyfi
07-16-2010, 03:24 AM
I regularly swap out my Stratos and Counterpoint as well as my Danes and Clearfields.

dakatabg
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Daks-did you ever pick up those TF-500's

I was planning but this guy lives like 70 miles away and that is stopping me. It is too far for me to drive and lately the people are taking vacations and I have to work more than the normal so I have not much time for deals and etc, I still check craigslist but I don't buy.

Last night I saw someone selling Marantz 2238 for $45 but by the time I saw that and I called it was gone already! :mad2:

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
There is a battle going on. The Basic C1 has challenged the EICO. I can't believe I am going to say it, but the Basic C1 is a much more open and fun sound. This will be a tough one to sort out.

dakatabg
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Poppa I think we should get the C2 to see how it will sound. I keep looking for one but can't find it on a good price

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Poppa I think we should get the C2 to see how it will sound. I keep looking for one but can't find it on a good price

Sounds good to me. Yamaha made some pretty hot preamps too.

thekid
07-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Love mine..... :D

Pops I will sell you another C1 and you can "stack them" to make a C2..... :D

Sorry guys could not resist.....

dakatabg
07-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Do you know anything about the Kenwood L-07C preamplifier? I saw it one time on ebay and it was almost 300 bucks! It could be better than the C2

JohnMichael
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I played the Audiophile Game by switching out the MA RS6's and replaced them with the Mo Fi OML1's. The OML1's have such a solid and well braced cabinet that it is nice hearing music without the cabinet playing along. I also had been missing the imaging and depth to the soundstage the OML1's provide. I even switched to the Ultralink stranded cables since the Alphacore MI1 cables were sounding a little dry. Yes this is a fun game. Thanks Pchub for the idea.:15: :15: :15: :15: :15: :15:

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 03:33 AM
I played the Audiophile Game by switching out the MA RS6's and replaced them with the Mo Fi OML1's. The OML1's have such a solid and well braced cabinet that it is nice hearing music without the cabinet playing along. I also had been missing the imaging and depth to the soundstage the OML1's provide. I even switched to the Ultralink stranded cables since the Alphacore MI1 cables were sounding a little dry. Yes this is a fun game. Thanks Pchub for the idea.:15: :15: :15: :15: :15: :15:

Another Ultralink fan!?! John I use the Challenger 2 Series, 12 awg. I get a GREAT price locally if you ever want some. These guys have 100 foot rolls.

Have you tried bi wiring with both sets of cables together John-boy? I have not heard any Mo-Fi speakers. I wonder how long of a drive it would be for me to get to you pad. You are in central Ohio? Probably about 5 hours...

Glad you're having fun playing the game buddy.

JohnMichael
08-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Another Ultralink fan!?! John I use the Challenger 2 Series, 12 awg. I get a GREAT price locally if you ever want some. These guys have 100 foot rolls.

Have you tried bi wiring with both sets of cables together John-boy? I have not heard any Mo-Fi speakers. I wonder how long of a drive it would be for me to get to you pad. You are in central Ohio? Probably about 5 hours...

Glad you're having fun playing the game buddy.

The roommate moved out and now I have a guest bedroom with a lockable door. I am thinking about trying the RS6's with the Class D Onkyo A-9555 in the spare bedroom.

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 04:54 AM
The roommate moved out and now I have a guest bedroom with a lockable door. I am thinking about trying the RS6's with the Class D Onkyo A-9555 in the spare bedroom.

Here we go....:wink5:

No really it will be nice for you to have an area in which you can experiment a bit. This way you can keep the reference system tight. I never figured you for an Onkyo man. John you really need to add some tubes...

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Oh JOhn, I should add a couple of things. Diud you see my new Bozak pre? The phono is awesome. I am going to upgrade my Eico, and try to best it. In the meantime, I have the Eico buffering my CDP. What a gorgeous sound, totally makes digital listenable.

frenchmon
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
What do you mean make digital listenable? You aint heard a Musical Fidelity CDP, or a good Marantz have you?

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 01:19 PM
What do you mean make digital listenable? You aint heard a Musical Fidelity CDP, or a good Marantz have you?

Well Mr.Frenchie, yes I have heard many high end units. Shanling, Marantz, Sonic Frontiers and on and on. I cannot justify that kind of scrill. JRA is holding a 8001 for me and I will get it eventually.

There is much about digital I don't care for, but I would rather not get into it. I listen to CDs almost daily, so I am not a complete luddite.

At the AKFest I heard a Marantz amp/SACD combo that brought me to my knees. However, the equivelant analog set up is even more engaging. To each his own buddy...:yesnod:

frenchmon
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Well Mr.Frenchie, yes I have heard many high end units. Shanling, Marantz, Sonic Frontiers and on and on. I cannot justify that kind of scrill. JRA is holding a 8001 for me and I will get it eventually.

There is much about digital I don't care for, but I would rather not get into it. I listen to CDs almost daily, so I am not a complete luddite.

At the AKFest I heard a Marantz amp/SACD combo that brought me to my knees. However, the equivelant analog set up is even more engaging. To each his own buddy...:yesnod:

Hope I didn't rub you wrong PoppaC. Was not implying you are a luddite.

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Hope I didn't rub you wrong PoppaC. Was not implying you are a luddite.

No, no not at all man. Listen you say what you want to me, never offended. I just hate to open up a can of digital v analog. Most unproductive discussion in audio.

JohnMichael
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM

If you come to Ohio maybe we can encourage JRA to cross the river. I would love some ears on my stereo to tell me if I am headed in the right direction. Sounds good to me but I have listened to it for a while and may need a new perspective. Oh and Sticks is not too far away.

poppachubby
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
ARFest...at John's?

E-Stat
08-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey all. This game is called.... "SWITCH YOUR GEAR AROUND!!!!"
I wish it were easier to do. Most of the components in my three systems are placed in areas that are not particularly easy to move around. Sometime, I'd like to hear the Threshold run the front channels of my HT.

rw

poppachubby
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I wish it were easier to do. Most of the components in my three systems are placed in areas that are not particularly easy to move around. Sometime, I'd like to hear the Threshold run the front channels of my HT.

rw

How can you rest not being certain that you have the best combinations in use? Use a free day and spend the energy Ralph, could be a revelation. Right now I know how everything sounds together, and which is best served with each other.

E-Stat
08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
How can you rest not being certain that you have the best combinations in use?
That's not too difficult given that the vintage system is largely hand-me-downs from the main system. When my stats were first shipped, some idiot from the trucking company ran the fork lift directly through - not under - the crates causing damage necessitating return. During that time, I moved the Advents to the main system. While the VTL monos have far more power than the Threshold, they are a poor match to drive the Advents. Tube amps must be matched with speakers that are compatible. The other amp is an HT receiver, so regardless of its relative performance, it needs to stay in that system.

rw

PeruvianSkies
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I feel like spending a free day and just putting stuff all over the place in my setup so it looks really cluttered and messy, then snap a few photos of it and make it part of my signature so that every time people see my posts, they worship at my setup.

poppachubby
08-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I feel like spending a free day and just putting stuff all over the place in my setup so it looks really cluttered and messy, then snap a few photos of it and make it part of my signature so that every time people see my posts, they are horrified at my setup.

Oh and here I was feeling good about my setup after reading that nonsense you wrote in your thread. Keep on keepin on. I for one LOVE my gear and my set up.

thekid
08-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Don't sweat it Pops.
You have to consider (and ignore) the source.

poppachubby
08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Don't sweat it Pops.
You have to consider (and ignore) the source.

Ya good point. It's the rudeness that gets me going.

02audionoob
08-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Peruvian's title says "Suspended". Interesting. If that's for real, I can't say it's undeserved, huh?

frenchmon
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Peruvian's title says "Suspended". Interesting. If that's for real, I can't say it's undeserved, huh?

Well...what can I say. Its like telling a cop to go stick it. After all....Pops is a moderator with the keys to lock us out. Personally I like vintage, Pops has good stuff and i would love to take a listen to his vintage gear. Ima really wanting to listen to the Bozak. Besides ... I can t understand why he would be rude to one of the nices guys on the boards. Pops has sent me stuff through the mail and over the internet and I know he has done the same for some others here. So why all the bitterness aimed at Pops? I just dont understand.

E-Stat
08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh and here I was feeling good about my setup after reading that nonsense you wrote in your thread.
Your system has evolved nicely over time.

rw

JohnMichael
08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Well...what can I say. Its like telling a cop to go stick it. After all....Pops is a moderator with the keys to lock us out. Personally I like vintage, Pops has good stuff and i would love to take a listen to his vintage gear. Ima really wanting to listen to the Bozak. Besides ... I can t understand why he would be rude to one of the nices guys on the boards. Pops has sent me stuff through the mail and over the internet and I know he has done the same for some others here. So why all the bitterness aimed at Pops? I just dont understand.

Yes I agree. Pops has been very generous to many and only deserves thanks and respect as 99.4 % of our membership does.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the props guys.

I'm certainly not doubting my gear OR my cluttered set up. I've put alot of tireless effort into researching and listening. All the while, I have the benefit of A/B'ing against boutique brands at my local shop. Surprisingly, I am good up to several times the value of my system. This is the synergy shining through.

I generally don't like to boast about my stuff, short of excitement over something new. Besides, there's always someone to detract and who can be bothered to argue about something so subjective.

My pile of sleds can easily run over someone who has gone out with a big wad of cash, and spent on "big names". It's the same story everytime. They auditioned this and that, yaddy yaddy. I have heard those combinations of Arcam, Creek, NAD with PSB, Paradigm, etc. They sound great, but often they have a sterile quality also.

This is where I come out on top. Low level detail due to resolving gear and dedicated hydro (thanks Ralph). Immediacy and emotion for a truly engaging experience.

"The Audiophile Game" was a good exercise to see how everything I have matched up.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Your system has evolved nicely over time.

rw

Thanks Ralph, you have been a great mentor at different junctions. I owe at least a small debt to quite a few members here.

BTW, I will be adding an Ariston RD 11s this Thursday!!

That will be the last addition for a while. I will need to mod the arm, and I have several tweaks and upgrades for my existing gear. JRA is holding a Marantz CDP for me, so down the line I hope to add that.

It's possible I may give up on high end digital. I am shooting for a ProJect Carbon 9cc arm, what would I need digital for with that sucker?

02audionoob
08-07-2010, 08:04 AM
...It's possible I may give up on high end digital. ...

http://makeastartup.com/user/files/PEA0334~Peanuts-Never-Ever-EVER-Give-Up-Posters.jpg.jpeg

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 08:18 AM
noob I was thinking about your scenario. You should sell your CDP and just go with comp audio ala your DAC. Use the funds for the elusive Goldring.

02audionoob
08-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I see where you're coming from, but to me losing the CD-25 isn't worth the Goldring that I'd like to have, given that I already have two Goldring cartridges that serve quite well.

I'll have to think about the computer audio thing. I have a PC and the SoundBlaster Live USB connected to the Marantz, already. I suppose I could just as easily put the USB on the DLIII as on the SoundBlaster. I do already sometimes use the little netbook on the DLIII.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Well you know I have dedicated power for both my digital and analog. I am considering the reference system to be just analog. Until such a time that I get a deserving digital arrangement.

In the meantime, both CDP and soundcard will run through the TDA1543 DAC. Voicing provided by Pioneer and Sound Dynamics.

On the sidelines, away from all of the action is my EICO. I am having it fully serviced and modded to include the Lipschitz curve. I would expect it to further my Phono ability. If not, I will upgrade to a proper power amp so the EICO has something to voice.

This is my first and most realistic option...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/184800-harman_kardon_hk_770_power_amplifier/

But my hip bone begins to swerve at the sight of this. Same sller as the TT, said he'll go $300!!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-LUXMAN-M-117-POWER-AMPLIFIER-RARE-EXCELLENT-800WATTS-W0QQAdIdZ218823401

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Oh noob. I have the EICO buffering the Magnavox. What a combo!! It has saved the day in my HT system. I now want to listen to music upstairs. Nadia likes it, she now gets to see me occasionaly. :frown2:

tube fan
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Just for fun I tried my tt (Scoutmaster with Benz Ruby 3) on my office system (iDecco, Gallo Strata speakers). Not close to my reference system: Fulton J speakers, Audio Research SP 8, and D-70, and counterpoint SA 2 prepreamp. But then, NOTHING at the California Audio Show matched my reference system IMO.

atomicAdam
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I feel like spending a free day and just putting stuff all over the place in my setup so it looks really cluttered and messy, then snap a few photos of it and make it part of my signature so that every time people see my posts, they are horrified at my setup.

PS - this is really uncalled for. What provoked you to openly attack PC like this?

02audionoob
08-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Inspired by Chubbs, I have done a little moving around - in this case, the cables.

I moved the Straightwire Rhapsody S interconnects to the phono preamp. So far, I'd say good move. I'm hearing slightly sharper highs than the Blue Jeans LC-1. Now here's the wacky one...After removing the Straightwire from the DAC, I did not install the LC-1. Instead, I took a set of component video cables and used the blue for the digital input from the CDP, and the green and red for left and right analog outputs. I'll ultimately probably put the LC-1 on the DAC, but I'm going to give it a while. So far, the video cable might be doing it for me. I might just like the way it's just slightly taming the highs, but then again...I might decide that's bad.

These guys are digging the new arrangement as much as I am...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4891746673_becc8c113c.jpg

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Inspired by Chubbs, I have done a little moving around - in this case, the cables.

I moved the Straightwire Rhapsody S interconnects to the phono preamp. So far, I'd say good move. I'm hearing slightly sharper highs than the Blue Jeans LC-1. Now here's the wacky one...After removing the Straightwire from the DAC, I did not install the LC-1. Instead, I took a set of component video cables and used the blue for the digital input from the CDP, and the green and red for left and right analog outputs. I'll ultimately probably put the LC-1 on the DAC, but I'm going to give it a while. So far, the video cable might be doing it for me. I might just like the way it's just slightly taming the highs, but then again...I might decide that's bad.

Interesting. Keep us posted. John Micheal is sending me some AQ King Cobras. I plan to use them for pre to amp. He found them too bright, so they should be great for me. More shocking than great sounding component cables is that you didn't add a shameless photo opp to this post. :eek6:

02audionoob
08-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Interesting. Keep us posted. John Micheal is sending me some AQ King Cobras. I plan to use them for pre to amp. He found them too bright, so they should be great for me. More shocking than great sounding component cables is that you didn't add a shameless photo opp to this post. :eek6:

I've edited. Is that better?

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Haha...I like how the guy on the far left is looking over at the others. He is saying to the others..."Aren't we lucky to live with such a majestic audiophile". I suspect the others will bob their heads in agreement.

Hey here's my latest clutter of cheap sleds. It's not the greatest pic, I am not the photographer that you are. I have made no real "audiophile" efforts with the Pioneer/Sony CDP combo, pictureed at the bottom. It's outputting to the Sound Dynamics for when I want to shake the house down with some Metallica...

...hmmm should've gone grill-less. They are baby guards right now.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4891765599_a05d75a04b_z.jpg

thekid
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Pops

It looks great!!

Fess up how many of those records hanging on the wall are Barry Manilow????
:D

poppachubby
08-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Thanks kid. Yes the titles are pretty rough. I think many Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell fans would be angry.

Hyfi
08-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Swapped in the Stratos last week but didn't say anything. After several days I asked Mrs Hyfi if anything sounded different.....

Answer:
The notes seem shorter and overall the sound is smaller and more like in a box.

Danes going in soon for another downgrade.

JohnMichael
08-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks kid. Yes the titles are pretty rough. I think many Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell fans would be angry.

Oh no not the Wichita Lineman.

thekid
08-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Oh no not the Wichita Lineman.

JM

Don't worry he is still on the line....

poppachubby
08-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Swapped in the Stratos last week but didn't say anything. After several days I asked Mrs Hyfi if anything sounded different.....

Answer:
The notes seem shorter and overall the sound is smaller and more like in a box.

Danes going in soon for another downgrade.

Wow, my wife would have given me the death glance. You know the super snooty one that only a wife can give? You're a lucky man HyFi.

JohnMichael
08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, my wife would have given me the death glance. You know the super snooty one that only a wife can give?

I know that look but not from being married. I learned about that look when I worked in retail and had to cover the shoe department for several days.

poppachubby
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, thanks to my new PSAudio power cable, I must change my rack. I have decided to half it, since that's how I built it. The lower half will support my LP bin, with further LPs lining it's shelves.

I am about half way through, but I like it so far. The room has opened up quite a bit. I still have some clutter to add to it.

This is analog only, I finally took the step. My digital has a ways to go.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4905063319_fbddc5ba1b_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4905655352_4e21fd138a_z.jpg

thekid
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Like the new look..
Nothing wrong with clean and simple.

poppachubby
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
OK I'm done. Thanks kid...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4905814349_dd41a65289_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4906405080_fc0aaf96d5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4905818069_b28c52f400_z.jpg

JohnMichael
08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
OK I'm done. Thanks kid...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4905814349_dd41a65289_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4906405080_fc0aaf96d5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4905818069_b28c52f400_z.jpg

Now that is a man cave! Good job!

frenchmon
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow Chubbs..My Man!

looking really good there fella! I see you even got the cable lifters...I think when you dropped it down, it just sorta set every thing off! Congrats my man...you've really done good! Wish I could be there just to chill, but St. Louis is a long way off.