does that new Hold Steady album... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : does that new Hold Steady album...

3LB
07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Heaven Is Whenever, sound like Paul K & The Weathermen, or is it just me?

bobsticks
07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
As far as I know Swish is the only one that can answer that with the experience of hearding it...don't hold your breath.

Mr MidFi
07-14-2010, 06:03 AM
I hear a lot of Graham Parker in the singer's voice.

3LB
07-15-2010, 08:09 AM
very astute observation there, and prolly more accurate.

I'll say this Hold Steady is a grower - I like it, but don't love it.

Mr MidFi
07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
The first time I spun that disc, I said, "if you take the best bar-band playing in downtown Chicago on a given Friday night, and put Graham Parker in front, it would sound exactly like this."

That was about 8 listens ago, and it's still my impression. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to the listener.

(I say good thing.)

Swish
07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
As far as I know Swish is the only one that can answer that with the experience of hearding it...don't hold your breath.

...so I actually don't have any hearding experience.

Swish
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Heaven Is Whenever, sound like Paul K & The Weathermen, or is it just me?

...a lot of early Springsteen in most of their work, especially a few previous releases; typical raucous beer-drinking songs and stories about city living as teenagers or young adults. I don't care much for their latest effort and I hope they aren't running out of steam. It's not horrible or anything, just mediocre, and I have too much good music and not enough time, so it just won't find its way to my cd player.

Their best was 'Boys and Girls in America' from 2006, by far I think, although 'Stay Positive' from '08 was pretty good too.

bobsticks
07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
...so I actually don't have any heading experience.

Lol, hey grammar nazi, you misspelled my misspelling...:thumbsup:

Swish
07-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Lol, hey grammar nazi, you misspelled my misspelling...:thumbsup:

See what happens when I try to be a wise arse and am in a hurry? To make matters worse, the word is actually herding, which I knew, but it wouldn't have been as funny had I changed it...although I did change it but make the mistake...oh, never freakin' mind. I need an IPA.