I'm so impulsive. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm so impulsive.

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Rush is playing here tonight. I've been checking the Ticketmaster site to see if any new seats get released today. I just happened to come across a pair in the second price level in a section that was previously showing as sold out. So I grabbed them.

What the hell, eh?

GMichael
07-13-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm so green with envy. Don't forget to post a review of the show.

poppachubby
07-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Great idea! Enjoy the show FA!!

Stone
07-13-2010, 08:04 AM
And I thought I was impulsive buying a $3 Roots CD.

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2010, 08:06 AM
And I thought I was impulsive buying a $3 Roots CD.

Ooooh. You really like to live on the edge, don't you? :biggrin5:

bobsticks
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Enjoy the show Fall Girl...

kexodusc
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Have fun, FA, let us know how it goes...

GMichael
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Why not really get impulsive and pick up a second set of tickets for Marisa and I to join you?

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I've been trying to win tickets from the radio all day. You have to be the 107th caller when they play Rush. I kept getting through as an early caller. I finally got through close to the end...the phone rang and rang as the radio is apt to let it do while they get through the commercials so they can answer live. And I guess it rang too many times...I got a message from my cell phone provider (I think) saying that "the caller is unavailable, please try again". And I was disconnected!!!! :mad5:

I'd like to think that I would have been caller 106 anyway. :cryin:

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Well, this impulsive decision was a great one! The show last night was outstanding! I totally dug most of the set list. Moving Pictures was my very first Rush show when I was 15, so seeing them play the album again was just fantastic! (Tom Sawyer is my ringtone too).

This is the first time that I've ever seen Rush from futher back (we usually splurge for top price tickets) so I spent more time watching the screen than the actual band. The benefit of that was seeing Geddy's bass playing up close. Holy crap! That man can play. I mean, I knew that he could play, but it really hit home last night at just how good he really is. Although I suspect that may be the last time we hear him sing The Temples of Syrinx live. Ouch.

I also thought that the animators and film makers for the videos at Rush shows don't get any credit and they should. There was a piece of animation that was played during the last part of Peart's solo that was just visually beautiful. Very detailed and gorgeous.

Overall, it was a great show, great experience, it sure as hell beat sitting at home and watching America's Got Talent (LOL!).

Oh, and after seeing Rush countless times, I finally bought my first Rush t-shirt. LOL!

Set list copied from Progressive Ears (I'm not anal enough to know or care what tour they last played stuff on):

Set 1

1. The Spirit of Radio
2. Time Stand Still (last played on Counterparts tour)
3. Presto (never played live)
4. Stick It Out (last played on Test For Echo tour)
5. Leave That Thing Alone (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
6. Workin' Them Angels
7. Faithless (never played live)
8. BU2B (new song - never played live)
9. Freewill
10. Marathon (last played on Presto tour)
11. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

12. Tom Sawyer
13. Red Barchetta
14. YYZ
15. Limelight
16. The Camera Eye (last played on Signals tour)
17. Witch Hunt
18. Vital Signs (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
19. Caravan (new song - never played live)
20. Drum Solo
21. Alex Solo (Hope?)
22. Closer to the Heart (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
23. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
24. Far Cry

Encore

25. La villa Strangiato (last played on R30 tour)
26. Working Man (last played on R30 tour)

GMichael
07-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Nice list. Wish I could have been there.
Many great songs and a few I haven't heard yet. Need to order the new one from Amazon. I was going to say that Witch Hunt was my favorite on the list until I saw La villa Strangiato. Was just blasting that on the way in today.

Glad you had a good time FA. And yeah, Geddy is amazing. How does he manage to play the bass and keyboards while singing and still have energy to run around the stage?

kexodusc
07-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Wow what a set list. Damn, wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing.

MasterCylinder
07-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the review FA...........and, yes, nice setlist.

I realize there are many musicians here at the RR, myself included..........and while I really don't know for sure, I suspect that at least some of the musicians here are fairly competent at their instrument..........but I just have to say this...........I still find it extremely impressive that the first tune of the night is SPIRIT OF THE RADIO........not the easiest song to play, if you know what I mean.............Holy shyte, that is a tough opener !

GMichael
07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the review FA...........and, yes, nice setlist.

I realize there are many musicians here at the RR, myself included..........and while I really don't know for sure, I suspect that at least some of the musicians here are fairly competent at their instrument..........but I just have to say this...........I still find it extremely impressive that the first tune of the night is SPIRIT OF THE RADIO........not the easiest song to play, if you know what I mean.............Holy shyte, that is a tough opener !

It kicks off the night with excitement.:thumbsup:

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't know if it was intentional, but I actually found that their first three songs went well with the whole Time Machine theme of the tour.

The Spitit of Radio: “Invisible airwaves crackle with life. Bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback on timeless wavelengths. Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free.

Time Stands Still: About regretting/forgetting your past and focusing on the present.

Presto: About magic, and dreams, and careless flights.

bobsticks
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Autumn-one, I'm glad you enjoyed the show in all its prehistoric-birdness...:p

Stone
07-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Looks like you got your money's worth, uh, if you like Rush anyway. :D

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Looks like you got your money's worth, uh, if you like Rush anyway. :D

I did indeedy. And if I had any doubts about the money spent, they were washed away by the ear to ear smile on my Hubby's face when Rush broke into the first bar of The Spirit of Radio. That was priceless. :D

Hyfi
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Overall, it was a great show, great experience, it sure as hell beat sitting at home and watching America's Got Talent (LOL!).

Hacking off your arm with a butter knife is a better experience than watching brain dead shows like that or Idol.

GMichael
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Hacking off your arm with a butter knife is a better experience than watching brain dead shows like that or Idol.
All my butter knives are dirty. Can I use a nail file?

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM

I'd rather not test that theory myself. I'll take your word it.

Stone
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
What?!?! You guys aren't entertained by a woman with a walker who whistles? So damn picky, you are.

GMichael
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
What?!?! You guys aren't entertained by a woman with a walker who whistles? So damn picky, you are.
I did kind of enjoy the guy who farted the Star Spangled Banner with his armpit. Other that that....

Swish
07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
...Rush couldn't win 'America's Got Talent'. I'm heard 'em and they aren't all that. :smile5:

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
...Rush couldn't win 'America's Got Talent'. I'm heard 'em and they aren't all that.

Plus...they aren't American.

Then again...neither are any of the judges...go figure.

jonnyhambone
07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Plus...they aren't American.

Then again...neither are any of the judges...go figure.

I know! I've brought that rant up with friends and noone seems to think it's as funny as I do ...we should hang out and harangue pop t.v. sometime. I usually get too mad at Reality Shows and get 'cut-off' by my wife before I throw stuff at the tv.
Rush is playing at the MN State Fair this year, haven't got tix yet but this thread is a good push

ForeverAutumn
07-16-2010, 05:10 AM
I know! I've brought that rant up with friends and noone seems to think it's as funny as I do ...we should hang out and harangue pop t.v. sometime. I usually get too mad at Reality Shows and get 'cut-off' by my wife before I throw stuff at the tv.
Rush is playing at the MN State Fair this year, haven't got tix yet but this thread is a good push

DO IT! What are you waiting for? Do it now! This is the best set list that they've played in years IMO. It's worth the price of admission for Pearts drum solo alone. If there's a better drummer alive right now, I'd love to see him.

I'm a bit of a reality TV junkie. I'm not really into the "entertainment" shows like Idol and Dancing with the Stars. Or the romance shows, although I have to admit that the Bret Micheals shows were a hoot! But I love Survivor, Amazing Race and Big Brother.

GMichael
07-16-2010, 05:15 AM
DO IT! What are you waiting for? Do it now! This is the best set list that they've played in years IMO. It's worth the price of admission for Pearts drum solo alone. If there's a better drummer alive right now, I'd love to see him.

I'm a bit of a reality TV junkie. I'm not really into the "entertainment" shows like Idol and Dancing with the Stars. Or the romance shows, although I have to admit that the Bret Micheals shows were a hoot! But I love Survivor, Amazing Race and Big Brother.

Annie gets the axe!