Hidden Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Speakers

bruceburnsav
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Hello - Quick question

I am redesigning my home theater, and am tired of either a choice between ugly/bulky loudspeakers or sonically impaired in-walls. Does anyone know of a good hidden speaker company/product? And I mean completely hidden, as in, not even a visible grille.

Thanks!

Bruce

basite
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
sorry bro, they can only do that in sci-fi movies... :D

have you thought about not-ugly speakers yet? there are lots and lots of speaker manufacturers out there that try their best not to only sound their speakers excellent, but also make them look like little (or big, sometimes) artworks. Sometimes of a quality most furniture can only even dream of...

Oh, Welcome to AR btw:) glad to have you here :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert

Hyfi
07-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Hang a picture over the in wall speaker.

JoeE SP9
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
AFAIK there are no good reasonably priced in wall speakers. You could try some Bohlander-Graebner in walls. However, they are not inexpensive and need some grill material in front. Hyfi's suggestion of hanging a painting in front is a good one. The fabric should be as acoustically transparent as possible.
BTW, theaters usually have the main speakers behind the screen which is made of acoustically transparent material.

It seems that you are more concerned with aesthetics than audio quality. Most posters here are more concerned with sound than looks.

Welcome to AR!

tom1967
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
some omnidirectional speakers like Mirage can be hidden behind objects.....I would look at one of their manuals to see if they would work for you

markw
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
The only problem with totally invisible speakers is that they tend to be totally inaudible.