Paul McCartney Tour [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney Tour

Troy
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Last friday a friend of mine dropped a spare ticket on me to see Macca at AT&T Park in San Francisco on saturday night. $200 lawn seats! Free! Wow, cool!

It was an excellent set list: http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#/1980/2010-07 that covered 45 years of Beatles, Wings and solo material. Highlights for me were the spectacularly psychedelic Let Me Roll It with its extremely Pink Floydian organ work. It eventually morphed into Purple Haze, which was quite a surprise to everyone. Live and Let Die was a total show stopper. Back in the USSR, and Helter Skelter were extremely metallic, loud and powerful. I was surprised how hard the show rocked at times, but he's smart enough to surround himself with a large, young and extremely talented band that can really kick it out.

PMc is almost 70 and he seemed a bit ginger at times and there were a few too many intimate solo guitar and piano songs for a massive 50K seat stadium show, but the geezer-filled crowd lapped up every single note.

If you're inclined to like this, it's a really solid tour. They are not phoning this one in.

ForeverAutumn
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice review Troy. ...and nice friend! Thanks. Nice to know that it's a solid show for that price. McCartney was another one of those shows coming this summer that I though would be cool to go to...until I saw the prices.

Davey
07-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I was fortunate to see McCartney and Wings early on, probably LA Forum, and it was a pretty amazing show. Band On the Run and all that, no apologies. But yea, I've seen video of some recent stuff, and he is still quite a presence, even on the Beatles music. Sometimes you almost forget how good the Beatles were since we almost never saw them play...

MasterCylinder
07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I spent most of 1972 and 1973 on the road with a sound company working for the major rock touring acts of the day...............when I got home after a particularly long Fall tour in 1973, the first thing my girlfriend wants me to do is take her to see Wings.

Which was about the last thing I wanted at that time.
I was burnt out and sick of rock shows.

I could not have been more wrong.............bought the tickets went to the show.......wow......great time.........seeing a Beatle is different than even the magic of the major acts I was fortunate enough to work with during that time.

poppachubby
07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
As a bass player I absolutely bow to Macca and all he has done for modern style. I don't care what cheesiness he has done like " The Girl is Mine" or "Ebony and Ivory", he is the king and can do whatever he wants.

There's only a few artists who can totally flub up their careers and not lose a single fan. Prince, Elton john, Billy Joel and yes indeed Sir Paul Macartney.

Macca walks on water people.

ForeverAutumn
07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Macca walks on water people.

Ouch! I'm glad I'm not one of those water people.

poppachubby
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Ouch! I'm glad I'm not one of those water people.

Joo talking to mee mang? Joo 'ave a problum wid Macca!?!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/BigDons/Music%20Movies%20TV/scarface-1.jpg