Moon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moon

3LB
07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Moon (2008) science fiction (really) starring Sam Rockwell

I read the synopsis of this movie and decided I'd give it a try, hoping I wasn't in for a contrived adventure/special effects monster movie. What a pleasant surprise this movie turned out to be.

Within minutes of this movie's beginning, you get a strong sense of deja vu. Obviously the director and cinematographer were influenced by '70s sci-fi classic Silent Running. This movie with its simple title is very much a throwback to a time when science fiction was factual and not fantasy, when scifi was about the human condition in the face of technological advancement, and not just letting technology dominating the story.

This is no epic. This is a sci-fi story in the best sense of the term. Its an economy of set design and plot with technology being suggested to the viewer (instead it of being a blunt object). Moon, like much of the sci-fi from the '70s, touches upon subjects like corporate greed while keeping the focus on the human element.

Its a shame this kind of movie is so rare. Rockwell gives an oscar worthy performance. In an age where we have a cable network named Sci-Fi whose programming is dedicated to movies about mega disastors and giant aligators, squids, sharks, et el, a movie of this high calibre is a real gem.

ForeverAutumn
07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I saw this movie at a limited release in the theatre and loved it! I was totally engaged from start to finish and Rockwell does, indeed, give an outstanding and Oscar worthy performance. If you look on IMDB you'll see that this film has won a whole bunch of various awards. Well deserved.

You might be interested to know that the director, Duncan Jones, is David Bowie's son (originally named Zoey Bowie), which is what drew me to the film in the first place.

PeruvianSkies
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I would say that it's main influence (perhaps besides SILENT RUNNING), which is such an underrated film in and of itself, is Andrew Tarkovsky's SOLARIS, which was remade in 2002 starring George Clooney. While the Americanized version loses much from it's Russian counter-part, it's still a worthwhile Sci-Fi visit, especially as a comparison to MOON.

I like the fact that we can have Science Fiction that doesn't have to be action-oriented, but can be appreciated for it's psychological aspects, which are far more memorable than seeing space critter copies that serve no justice to ALIEN or the fantasy realm of STAR WARS.

thekid
07-11-2010, 05:51 PM
My son turned me on to this movie and we were able to pick it up among the previously viewed movies at the local Blockbuster. Loved the film and could not understand why Rockwell was not nominated for an Oscar. Very gripping movie that, as was mentioned, does not need an explosion or car chase every 5 minutes to hold your attention.

ForeverAutumn
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31138&highlight=moon) my original review from July 2009.

Troy
07-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Rockwell elevates every project he's involved with (even Gentlemen Broncos).

I got more 2001 than SIlent Running, because of it's claustrophobia, it's nearly all white sets, and it's use of a computer as an antagonist.

Regardless, Moon is a wonderfully surreal and surprising movie, highly recommended.

Worf101
07-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I was going to save this review for my bi-monthly round up but since you mentioned it. I rented Moon about a month ago. I found it to be a wonderful small film. A budget so tiny that it had to emphasize, script, directing, acting and story as opposed to 3D special effects. Marvelous little movie. Couldn't recommend it more highly. Personally, I'd love a sequel where the events on earth following his "return" are detailed.

Worf

3LB
07-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Personally, I'd love a sequel where the events on earth following his "return" are detailed.

I liked the way it ended myself. Had the movie gone on it coulda got maudlin. As it is, the ending leaves a lot to speculation, not to suggest that it was left open-ended. Its a good thing when a movie ends and you wished it were 15 minutes longer.
-->>Spoiler Alert<<--
(hi-lite)
I think that perhaps the 'original Bell' had already returned to Earth after his 3 year stint. I think it woulda been cool if Original Sam would have come to the phone after daughter called out to "dad"

3LB
07-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Here's (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31138&highlight=moon) my original review from July 2009.
Funny, I had forgotten that. I even posted in the thread! I remember now though actually looking for it at Hollywood video last year and they didn't have it - I found it while scrolling through a RedBox this weekend. I knew I'd heard of it but forgot where I read about it. So I have you to thank for planting the seed. Great rec, FA.

PeruvianSkies
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
1. MATCHSTICK MEN
2. THE GREEN MILE
3. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD (not only one of the longest movie titles of all time, but one of the most worthwhile films to ever see)
4. MOON

I personally didn't really care for him in IRON MAN 2, although that film was a total disaster from the get-go, along with TRANSFORMERS 2, it ranks up there as one of the most unsatisfying sequels to a good first film. I do not credit this though on him, or his role, but rather on the atrocious script and sloppy directing that made the film boring, lame, and disappointing on ever-level-possible. Let's put it this way, it's pretty sad when Sam Rockwell, Robert Downey Jr, and Mickey Rourke can't save a damn movie.

Kam
07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I was totally engaged from start to finish and Rockwell does, indeed, give an outstanding and Oscar worthy performance. If you look on IMDB you'll see that this film has won a whole bunch of various awards. Well deserved.

When one guy is on screen the entire time and keeps you thoroughly engaged as Sam does, it's really a testament to how good he is. Even Spacey's voice was fantastic as the Hal-type computer.

GMichael
07-13-2010, 07:56 AM
1) Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for this movie and check it out.
2) Kam, great to see you posting. How's it going off B-way?
3) This killed me. "This message has been deleted by JohnMichael. Reason: Chicago style deep dish spam "
Anyone got a hanky?

Kam
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
1) Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for this movie and check it out.
2) Kam, great to see you posting. How's it going off B-way?
3) This killed me. "This message has been deleted by JohnMichael. Reason: Chicago style deep dish spam "
Anyone got a hanky?

Been crazy few months, as always, but figured it was time and WE HAVE TO GO BAAAACK, as Jack would say, to the forums and catch up with the FF Fam!